WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

I'm holding out hope Power Rangers can improve Saturday and Sunday.  Its international numbers won't be impressive this week since it's not opening anywhere significant (I think Argentina is the biggest market getting it this weekend, but I could be wrong) but it opens in some big markets next weekend.  So, yeah, I'm hoping it has better retention than the projections are expecting but, it's looking like China and Japan may be the last chance for this movie to make a decent amount of money.  

Edited by RiffRanger
  • Like 1

Assuming Deadline's Friday projections are correct, then Boss Baby could do the following if it followed Home's opening weekend (also opened on the last weekend in March):

Thursday Previews: $1.5 million

Real Friday: $12 million

Saturday: $17.5 million (+46%)
Sunday: $11.7 million (-33%)

TOTAL: $42.7 million

Beauty and the Beast's Friday is about a 99% increase from it's Thursday (of $6.05 million), and if it had about the same Saturday increase and Sunday drop as last weekend:

Friday: $12 million

Saturday: $19.4 million (+62%)

Sunday: $14.4 million (-26%)

TOTAL: $45.8 million

Of course Boss Baby could play out differently (on its path) and given these are very early Deadline numbers, the Friday numbers could end up being pretty different too.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, RiffRanger said:

I'm holding out hope Power Ranger can improve Saturday and Sunday.  Its international numbers won't be impressive this week since it's not opening anywhere significant (I think Argentina is the biggest market getting it this weekend, but I could be wrong) but it opens in some big markets next weekend.  So, yeah, I'm hoping it has better retention than the projections are expecting but, it's looking like China and Japan may be the last chance for this movie to make a decent amount of money.  

Yeah, just not looking good right now. Unless in China it shocks us with the numbers. Think it safe to say it was a failure for Lionsgate.

Edited by Momo

Dreamworks and Fox promoted Boss Baby early and well. The trailers got good views as well (over 20M per trailer almost). The Subway promotions and the TV spots have been airing since the past 2+ months, and they didn't shy away from promoting it almost like "What if Trump was a literal baby?". Contrast with Captain Underpants which they don't seem to remember exists and are giving the minimal push possible.

• Like 1