WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

But is "white washing" the main complaint from American critics?

I thought the storytelling was considered mediocre outside of the visuals.

This. For every White-washing Sucks! review there are 10 going Mediocrity Sucks!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Indeed. The idea that American critics are being harsh on GitS because of the so-called whitewashing is completely unsupported by the actual content of their reviews. They make passing reference at most to the casting of white actors, and their criticisms are centered around storytelling issues, particularly it being dumbed-down compared to the original.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm pretty sure that if there was some Asiatic actress, instead of Scarjo, most of critics would give it a pass, even if the movie is mediocre. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

While I do agree that activism is necessary, especially in these days that we're living in. The thing is becoming a mess, only this year we already had the Dog's controversy, everybody jumping in the hate train thanks to an edited video, and now this GITS mess, I mean, if the people that should be pissed with this situation (Japanese), understands why they choose Scarlett, why the hell an American critic would bother about it? This is just ridiculous.

Sadly many activists (if one wants to call them so) often defend people who doesnt even see any reasons to be offended.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I'm pretty sure that if there was some Asiatic actress, instead of Scarjo, most of critics would give it a pass, even if the movie is mediocre. 

There's absolutely no evidence that critics give mediocre films (as measured by audience response) a pass on the basis of there being non-whites in the cast.

For that matter, there's also no evidence critics punish good films (as measured by audience response) on the basis of "whitewashing".

Edited by Jason
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Several American critics complaining about it. Collider wrote an whole article about it lmao. The comments section on fb was a mess with people trashing them because the article is ridiculous.

• Like 1

I don't know what the critics want out of a story to be honest. If you're going to call a thoughtful sci-fi movie with existentialist themes that explores the future of technology "empty" and "shallow" and low on plot, really what does that leave? But meanwhile mopey bullshit that sucks in every way a movie can suck like Manchester or Boyhood gets their approval. 

Ghost in the Shell was far from mediocre. Outside of John Wick 2, it was the year's best movie and a definite A rating. Visually one of the best movies I've seen and a joy to watch. People may not give it a chance, but they should.

And LOL at the Power Rangers decline, guess the little kids had their fill and it's on to Boss Baby. It's too easy to root against movies that look THAT shitty! Yikes.

Ps: No we don't need "activist" social justice warriors behind their keyboards playing the PC police. These people are the scum of the earth. There's nothing worse than a fucking social justice warrior making a big issue out of everything and trying to instigate 1984 in reality. People are sick of their bullshit! 

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

There's no indication of that since it rarely happens

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I mean, if the people that should be pissed with this situation (Japanese), understands why they choose Scarlett, why the hell an American critic would bother about it? This is just ridiculous.

I'm not sure I fully agree with that reasoning, most Japanese will not be bothered much by what Hollywood do on that aspect, they have what 300 to 400 Japanese movie featuring almost exclusively Japanese actor released in their theater every year, for a while Japanese cinema had an output has big as Hollywood and was always big. The subject lack of Japanese representation on screen would not make the first sense to them, try to imagine white american caring about who play Jason Bourne in a Japanese remake for an equivalent.... they will never watch it anyway and just watch the next Damon one.

It is much more Japanese/eastern Asians outside Japan (mostly US because they feel connection with the US movie industry) that has some chance to care about something like that.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

Just now, grey ghost said:

Those social justice warrior critics approved of Dr. Strange despite the white washing controversy.

I guess those Disney checks cleared. :sparta:

Unlimited power.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

I don't know what the critics want out of a story to be honest. If you're going to call a thoughtful sci-fi movie with existentialist themes that explores the future of technology "empty" and "shallow" and low on plot, really what does that leave? But meanwhile mopey bullshit that sucks in every way a movie can suck like Manchester or Boyhood gets their approval. 

25f7k0z.jpg