WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

3rd Update, Friday 11:48 PM: This weekend will belong to DreamWorks Animation as their 34th title The Boss Baby will cash an opening weekend check of $50.5M at 3,773 theaters via 20th Century Fox. Disney’s Beauty and the Beast isn’t far behind in second with $47.5M per industry estimates. Some believed that this would be a close battle for No. 1 all weekend long, however, the stats currently indicate there isn’t bound to be an influx among the Disney princess die-hards during matinees; Alec Baldwin’s tough guy baby will be the last man standing. Not doing the most is Ghost in the Shell from DreamWorks/Reliance/Paramount with a lower than expected three-day of $20.9M at 3,440 locations and a listless B CinemaScore. We’ll do an autopsy on that cyborg movie in a bit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, POTUS said:

http://deadline.com/2017/03/ghost-in-the-shell-scarlett-johansson-boss-baby-beauty-and-the-beast-weekend-box-office-1202056616/

3rd Update, Friday 11:48 PM: This weekend will belong to DreamWorks Animation as their 34th title The Boss Baby will cash an opening weekend check of $50.5M at 3,773 theaters via 20th Century Fox. Disney’s Beauty and the Beast isn’t far behind in second with $47.5Mper industry estimates. Some believed that this would be a close battle for No. 1 all weekend long, however, the stats currently indicate there isn’t bound to be an influx among the Disney princess die-hards during matinees; Alec Baldwin’s tough guy baby will be the last man standing. Not doing the most is Ghost in the Shell from DreamWorks/Reliance/Paramount with a lower than expected three-day of $20.9M at 3,440 locations and a listless B CinemaScore. We’ll do an autopsy on that cyborg movie in a bit.

Australia was indicating well over 40m for TBB

BatB will come in above 48m

I think GITS will open below 20m. Total BO, I think it will not beat xXx stateside at 45m.

1 hour ago, Momo said:

question for movie number guys or girls... what's more important to a studio? the number a movie reaches in the us or it's total ww?

What is really important for a studio are total revenues, the nature of them is not that important.

They love domestic because of how good the after theatrical market is for them (and they get a bit from the box office in that market), in average it look like that 1$ at the domestic box office is worth about 1.3$ foreign at the end of all windows, that a rules of thumb that you can use to compare movie performance with different box office dbo/ibo ratio.

Let just say that if Warcraft had the same WW box office but mostly domestic, it would have a success instead of a small flop.

• Like 2

http://deadline.com/2017/03/ghost-in-the-shell-scarlett-johansson-boss-baby-beauty-and-the-beast-weekend-box-office-1202056616/

1.) The Boss Baby (20thCentury Fox/DWA), 3,773 theaters  / $14.85M Fri. (includes $1.5M in previews) / 3-day: $50.5M Wk 1

2.) Beauty and the Beast(DIS), 4,210 theaters  / $12.97m Fri. (-45%) / 3-day: $47.5M (-47%)/ Total: $395.4M/Wk 3

3.) Ghost in the Shell (PAR/DWA/REL), 3,440 theaters  / $7.6M Fri. (includes $1.8M) / 3-day: $20.9M /Wk 1

4.) Saban’s Power Rangers (LGF), 3,693 theaters  (0)/ $4.1m Fri. (-72%) / 3-day: $14.2M (-65%)/Total: $64.8M/ Wk 2

5.) Kong: Skull Island (20th/Leg), 3,141 theaters (-525) / $2.3M Fri. (-37%) / 3-day: $9M (-38%)/Total: $148M/Wk 4

6.) Logan (Fox), 2,323 theaters  (-840)/ $1.8M Fri. (-31%) / 3-day: $6.7M (-35%)/Total: $212.36M/Wk 5

7.) Get Out (UNI), 1,844 theaters (-630) / $1.7M Fri. (-31%) / 3-day: $6.2M (-30%)/Total: $157.2M/Wk 6

8.) Life (Skydance/Sony), 3,146 theaters  (0)/ $1.7M Fri. (-61%) / 3-day: $5.78M(-54%)/Total: $22.5M/ Wk 2

9.) CHIPS (WB), 2,464 theaters (0) / $1.1M Fri. (-55%) / 3-day: $4M (-48%)/ Total: $14.3M /Wk 2

10.) Zookeeper’s Wife (FOC), 474 theaters  / $905K Fri. / 3-day: $3M/ Wk 1

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 1

So.... GITS. Lots of various issues that bugged to varying degrees -- I don't feel like getting into them this late at night, but I also gotta say I thought it was okay. More of a missed opportunity than a disaster. Really nice visuals and a good score. Reminded me of TRON: LEGACY although for whatever reason I liked it more than I did T:L.

Hoo boy there are some funky missteps, though.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, POTUS said:

1.) The Boss Baby (20thCentury Fox/DWA), 3,773 theaters  / $14.85M Fri. (includes $1.5M in previews) / 3-day: $50.5M Wk 1

2.) Beauty and the Beast(DIS), 4,210 theaters  / $12.97m Fri. (-45%) / 3-day: $47.5M (-47%)/ Total: $395.4M/Wk 3

3.) Ghost in the Shell (PAR/DWA/REL), 3,440 theaters  / $7.6M Fri. (includes $1.8M) / 3-day: $20.9M Wk 1

4.) Saban’s Power Rangers (LGF), 3,693 theaters  (0)/ $4.1m Fri. (-72%) / 3-day: $14.2M (-65%)/Total: $64.8M/ Wk 2

5.) Kong: Skull Island (20th/Leg), 3,141 theaters (-525) / $2.3M Fri. (-37%) / 3-day: $9M (-38%)/Total: $148M/Wk 4

Got a link on that. For I can read the article.

2 minutes ago, Telerian said:

So.... GITS. Lots of various issues that bugged to varying degrees -- I don't feel like getting into them this late at night, but I also gotta say I thought it was okay. More of a missed opportunity than a disaster. Really nice visuals and a good score. Reminded me of TRON: LEGACY although for whatever reason I liked it more than I did T:L.

Honestly I feel like with a different director and maybe some rewrites it could've been good. It's so frustrating that I could see potential in it especially the first act.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XO21 said:

GITS is pretty much Passengers 2.0

awful drop for PR

I would argue that JLaw is a bigger draw than ScarJ right now, Passengers did much better than most people expect. While... GITS is doing poorer than most expectations.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Telerian said:

But what did Tele Junior think?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XO21 said:

GITS is pretty much Passengers 2.0

awful drop for PR

If PR number is 14M. It's about 3-5M off what it was project yesterday. Although Mojo did project the closes to the number at 17M.

Edited by Momo

Just now, Mulder said:

Honestly I feel like with a different director and maybe some rewrites it could've been good. It's so frustrating that I could see potential in it especially the first act.

My buddy and I were talking about it afterwards: it's very much representative of a larger problem in general with most of these remakes/reboots/etc. There's this desire to rigidly hew close to the original (either with story and plot or with visuals, sometimes both), but the originals were products of their specific time, place, and culture, and when you blindly follow without updating for the new context we live in, you get something that feels awkward and doesn't really fit.

GITS feels very much like a 1995 movie stuck in 2017. It's dealing with basic themes and concepts popularized in the early 80s. Certain key visuals feel like they were designed around the beginning of the internet. It doesn't really work as a plausible future with our 21st century as a base to project forward from. Without delving into the whole whitewashing issue as such, it very much feels like they tried to straddle the bridge (keeping the original Japanese cultural connection vs updating/rebooting the story and characters from a more western perspective) and the result doesn't fit either. Instead, it continually bugs in a minor way.... until (not going to spoilers) they, uh, take a big misstep.

This is without getting into the whole moral/ethical consideration of whether it's cultural appropriation or not. The end result doesn't really justify either approach. I guess to put it more simply: there's no reason to set it in Japan except that the original was (always a bad idea to slavishly mimic without consideration). And once they set it in Japan it feels all the weirder to have both so many major roles played by Western actors while also having a couple played by Japanese ones.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Telerian said:

My buddy and I were talking about it afterwards: it's very much representative of a larger problem in general with most of these remakes/reboots/etc. There's this desire to rigidly hew close to the original (either with story and plot or with visuals, sometimes both), but the originals were products of their specific time, place, and culture, and when you blindly follow without updating for the new context we live in, you get something that feels awkward and doesn't really fit.

GITS feels very much like a 1995 movie stuck in 2017. It's dealing with basic themes and concepts popularized in the early 80s. Certain key visuals feel like they were designed around the beginning of the internet. It doesn't really work as a plausible future with our 21st century as a base to project forward from. Without delving into the whole whitewashing issue as such, it very much feels like they tried to straddle the bridge (keeping the original Japanese cultural connection vs updating/rebooting the story and characters from a more western perspective) and the result doesn't fit either. Instead, it continually bugs in a minor way.... until (not going to spoilers) they, uh, take a big misstep.

This is without getting into the whole moral/ethical consideration of whether it's cultural appropriation or not. The end result doesn't really justify either approach. I guess to put it more simply: there's no reason to set it in Japan except that the original was (always a bad idea to slavishly mimic without consideration). And once they set it in Japan it feels all the weirder to have both so many major roles played by Western actors while also having a couple played by Japanese ones.

Exactly. Not only is it anachronistic ((Giant holograms but no one has smartphones or laptops or something? Stand Alone Complex ,which was the TV show adaptation of the original, showed the progression better and felt like a 2000s future even predicting the rise of Anonymous in a way)) but like you said the use of japanese culture felt so wrong and kind of icky. Like some characters being in kimonos and such. I feel like with a smarter director and/or writer this could've been a great theme of America/western culture in general taking advantage of Japan ((Which is what a lot of GiTS is about ironically)) but the way it's done just feels wrong.

• Like 1

PR looks like it'll have a very similar drop to X-Men: Apocalypse. If it plays out like that over the coming weeks it'll finish around $95 million. A few days ago I would've thought $100m+ was a given.

• Like 1