tawasal

Weekend actuals Journey 2: 27,35m/Star Wars: 22,47m/SH: 40,17m/ The Vow: 41,20m

Denzel's movies may not open as big or gross as much as other actors like Smith, Cruise, Ford and Hanks have( and occasionally still do ) but I'd argue that he's been more consistent than any of those guys have been over their careers.

I agree. I looked at his movie grosses over past ten years and my conclusion is that if you can make a 60-70 million dollar action movie with Denzel you will make money. There are very,very few actors who are this consistent and it explains why he is one of the highest paid actors despite not starring in 200-300 million blockbusters.

At best that affects a movie's gross by 5%, all of that put together.

So if the economy was down 90% YOY, unemployment up by 250% and the weather -25, would people still go out to the cinema?Sorry because I don't believe "quality" has anything to do with it. 2011 had the best average in I'm not sure how long and it sold the worst since 1995. Take that disproved argument out of circulation. Edited by BK007

Bingo. People don't suddenly go more to theaters because the calender year has switched from 2011 to 2012.

Absolutely. Even after all the very well-informed posts I have seen explaining certain things, I am still not buying this whole "THE BOX OFFiCE IS IN AN UPSWING! OMG! GR WILL MAKE 150 m, AVENGERS WILL OPEN WITH 200 M, et al" thing. It all comes down to films that make people want to see them, at least on opening weekend. I am not feeling this GR thing.

I am pretty sure that consumer confidence is playing a big part. A movie like Safe House is a perfect example. It is a Denzel Washington movie so I don't think it would've bombed in October-November but I don't see it opening above 30 million 4 months ago. It is a generic action thriller and a lot of people would've given it a pass. Two 40+ million openers, neither very well reviewed in the month of February speaks for itself.

Absolutely. Even after all the very well-informed posts I have seen explaining certain things, I am still not buying this whole "THE BOX OFFiCE IS IN AN UPSWING! OMG! GR WILL MAKE 150 m, AVENGERS WILL OPEN WITH 200 M, et al" thing. It all comes down to films that make people want to see them, at least on opening weekend. I am not feeling this GR thing.

Hold the phone, no one here that I've seen is saying GR2 is doing $150m. Just that based on the year so far where few, if any, felt The Devil Inside, Underworld Awakening(in it's 4th film) or Safe House doing as well as they've done would happen they did.

And objectively looking at Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance has plenty in common with TDI & UA so check your feelings and go with the logic trend of numbers for now.

I am pretty sure that consumer confidence is playing a big part. A movie like Safe House is a perfect example. It is a Denzel Washington movie so I don't think it would've bombed in October-November but I don't see it opening above 30 million 4 months ago. It is a generic action thriller and a lot of people would've given it a pass. Two 40+ million openers, neither very well reviewed in the month of February speaks for itself.

And what it says is that the films happened to appeal to a lot of people.

Hold the phone, no one here that I've seen is saying GR2 is doing $150m. Just that based on the year so far where few, if any, felt The Devil Inside, Underworld Awakening(in it's 4th film) or Safe House doing as well as they've done would happen they did.

And objectively looking at Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance has plenty in common with TDI & UA so check your feelings and go with the logic trend of numbers for now.

The only logic I go by is this: Those films appealed to a lot of people, therefore they made solid money. Nothing to do with being 2012, 2009 0r 1987.

So if the economy was down 90% YOY, unemployment up by 250% and the weather -25, would people still go out to the cinema?Sorry because I don't believe "quality" has anything to do with it. 2011 had the best average in I'm not sure how long and it sold the worst since 1995. Take that disproved argument out of circulation.

But that's the thing, these things don't shift suddenly by a huge amount, they develop gradually over time.Appeal is the right word and it has a lot to do with it.
  • Like 1