grey ghost

ANONYMOUS POLL: Do you prefer weekend threads stay on topic, off topic or a mixture of both?

Should the weekend thread stay on topic 24/7  

75 members have voted

1. 1. The weekend thread should...

• Stay on topic
    • Stay off topic
    • A mix of both

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yikes even going back to Nikki and Mason we had threads to discuss the numbers as sources came in. There has to be a balance and most of what is discussed in a normal weekend thread could go in the CC without issues. 

Except that's boring and lame.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 2 Panda 2 Furious said:

Except that's boring and lame.

I don't understand how not derailing a thread with countless unnecessary and needless gif, pics and discussion is lame. It's like me as a a parent trying to get my toddler to understand why the Legos only go in certain spots. Those threads are like constantly stepping on Legos in the dark, particularly  on mobile and tapatalk. 

• Like 1

I do find the knee jerk reactions to early projections to be very annoying. Putting those in the CC thread where the numbers wouldn't be in the headline would cut down on that sort of thing and help reduce the attention those numbers get to closer to the amount they deserve

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

I do find the knee jerk reactions to early projections to be very annoying. Putting those in the CC thread where the numbers wouldn't be in the headline would cut down on that sort of thing and help reduce the attention those numbers get to closer to the amount they deserve

Which defeats the purpose of a numbers thread in the first place? I want to be able to discuss the numbers even the terrible early ones without wading into the CC. 

Anyways I know I am in the minority and frankly I have been too busy over the last year to spend as much time as I used to but having been around for so long it's frustrating to see things change and not necessarily for the better (imo). 

And now I really do sound like an old foggy. 

Just now, narniadis said:

I don't understand how not derailing a thread with countless unnecessary and needless gif, pics and discussion is lame. It's like me as a a parent trying to get my toddler to understand why the Legos only go in certain spots. Those threads are like constantly stepping on Legos in the dark, particularly  on mobile and tapatalk. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

1 minute ago, langer said:

I like looking at the thread on Fridays to get the numbers.  It's really hard sometimes to have to scroll through all the bullshit.  Hope you guys are enjoying yourselves.  

Usually the #s are posted in the title

• Like 5

Do you know the problem of keeping the random weird stuff only to the CC thread? The CC thread is actually pretty intimidating to most users/outsiders. Have you noticed that it's the same 15-20 people posting there all the time?

It actually took me a while to start posting there myself(even then I don't do it that much) because it is very intimidating to post at, you feel like you are a stranger suddenly interrupting a years-long-running conversation going on between old friends, which is actually kinda true.

I see more random/funny stuff going on in the weekend threads than the CC thread and I think that's the main reason; "casual" users of this forum just feel more at ease posting there than the CC thread in my humble opinion.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, langer said:

I like looking at the thread on Fridays to get the numbers.  It's really hard sometimes to have to scroll through all the bullshit.  Hope you guys are enjoying yourselves.  

That's a great point and that's why I think that if the first post of weekend threads was kept updated with the exact pages of when numbers came out it would help people like you a lot who would like to check out the conversation about the numbers as the few pages after numbers come out are always about the numbers themselves.

Just a suggestion @Tele Came Back

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Do you know the problem of keeping the random weird stuff only to the CC thread? The CC thread is actually pretty intimidating to most users/outsiders. Have you noticed that it's the same 15-20 people posting there all the time?

It actually took me a while to start posting there myself(even then I don't do it that much) because it is very intimidating to post at, you feel like you are a stranger suddenly interrupting a years-long-running conversation going on between old friends, which is actually kinda true.

I see more random/funny stuff going on in the weekend threads than the CC thread and I think that's the main reason; "casual" users of this forum just feel more at ease posting there than the CC thread in my humble opinion.

Same here. I didn't start looking there until like last year or so, bc I didn't understand the point of it. From the outside it looked like some clique where the only conversations happened with people who knew each other for years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

That's a great point and that's why I think that if the first post of weekend threads was kept updated with the exact pages of when numbers came out it would help people like you a lot who would like to check out the conversation about the numbers as the few pages after numbers come out are always about the numbers themselves.

Just a suggestion @Tele Came Back

This is actually something we try to do. Sometimes we're more on-the-ball than others -- or sometimes the updates happen when a mod isn't active in the thread. We can aim to be better about it, though.

What I'm taking from all this is that our current approach (this weekend) seems okay. We're trying to strike a balance between fun and number-specifics, and we're aware that some people prefer more extreme versions of each.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

This is actually something we try to do. Sometimes we're more on-the-ball than others -- or sometimes the updates happen when a mod isn't active in the thread. We can aim to be better about it, though.

What I'm taking from all this is that our current approach (this weekend) seems okay. We're trying to strike a balance between fun and number-specifics, and we're aware that some people prefer more extreme versions of each.

Yeah, I think that updating the original post is a good idea tbh. The people that are here for #s, come in, then come out w/o the fluff they dislike

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Oh, you guys already edit the first posts of those threads with the pages of the numbers? I never noticed it, that's cool! I thought it was only in the titles like it is now. though right now I see there is no page in the title, just the numbers themselves. All cool though, just a suggestion!

Edited by Arlborn
I pressed send by mistake before finishing it up
  • Like 1

Maybe we should have two weekend threads 

One is called 

"LAME WEEKEND THREAD" where you can only post gitesh tweets

then another one called

"THE GOOD WEEKEND THREAD" and you're only allowed to post a number if it's accompanied by a gif or pun.

Or we just compromise and only allow gifs if they're accompanied by a number and only allow numbers if they're accompanied by gifs.

Edited by 2 Panda 2 Furious
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Oh, you guys already edit the first posts of those threads with the pages of the numbers? I never noticed it, that's cool! I thought it was only in the titles like it is now. though right now I see there is no page in the title, just the numbers themselves. All cool though, just a suggestion!

You're right, and I haven't been paying attention to this weekend's thread title much. I've updated it and the first post... although the info is pretty old, we should get some new estimates soon.

Part of the reason this weekend is slow (in terms of numbers) is we never really got anything from Rth or EmpireCity. And of course the numbers themselves aren't super interesting.

• Like 2