kayumanggi

HAPPY DEATH DAY | 10.13.17 | Universal

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Really starting to get hyped for this, even though I probably won't be able to see it for at least a week.

Reviews generally say that the movie's a blast, whether they are highly positive or even mixed-positive, they make it sound like a fun time. 

Going to up my prediction to 26/65

It would be already at #2 on Pulse if it weren’t the SW storm, I’m pretty sure it will end as another Horror movie that was underestimated by tracking.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

When it comes to Horror movies, they’re linked indeed, unless we’re talking about some kind of art movie being sold as Horror (ICAN), good reviews almost always guarantee a breakout, or at very least a decent hit, you can’t deny that.

And I don’t think that Mother is a good example, since it was a divisive movie, yeah, it is fresh, but almost half of critics hated it, audiences clearly choose their side, and even Mother didn’t have awful legs as was expected. 

Definitely not on opening weekend.

There are countless very badly reviewed horrors that opened big. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Definitely not on opening weekend.

There are countless very badly reviewed horrors that opened big. 

But we’re talking about good reviews translating into success at Box Office, and they’re linked indeed, you can’t deny that.

And if you movie has a great a marketing campaign or has an interesting premise (The Devil Inside/The Purge), it may avoid the impact of bad reviews on the OW, but they’re definitely to be affected in a long term.

I would put Horror close to Sci-Fi, as the genres the most needs good reviews to break out. 

39 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

But we’re talking about good reviews translating into success at Box Office, and they’re linked indeed, you can’t deny that.

And if you movie has a great a marketing campaign or has an interesting premise (The Devil Inside/The Purge), it may avoid the impact of bad reviews on the OW, but they’re definitely to be affected in a long term.

I would put Horror close to Sci-Fi, as the genres the most needs good reviews to break out. 

Purge wasn’t impacted in the long run considering both sequels grossed more each time. 

Paranormal Activity 2’s rotten score didn’t stop the third increasing.

Saw 1, 2 and 3 weren’t effected by really bad reviews either. 

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Grudge and Freddy Vs Jason were Horror blockbusters with bad reviews. 

I see what you’re saying, but horror films can still break out despite dreadful reviews. 

Rave reviews didn’t cause It Follows, The Babadook or The Witch to break out at all. They all stumbled commercially. 

16 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Purge wasn’t impacted in the long run considering both sequels grossed more each time. 

Paranormal Activity 2’s rotten score didn’t stop the third increasing.

Saw 1, 2 and 3 weren’t effected by really bad reviews either. 

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Grudge and Freddy Vs Jason were Horror blockbusters with bad reviews. 

I see what you’re saying, but horror films can still break out despite dreadful reviews. 

Rave reviews didn’t cause It Follows, The Babadook or The Witch to break out at all. They all stumbled commercially. 

When I said long term, I meant the legs. The Purge 1 has awful legs, the next two movies improved on quality, and then B.O followed, and they’re not hated by critics like the first one.

PA2 is barely rotten, lol, it has a 58% score, mixed reviews at best, and if the third one managed to increase, that’s because it received good reviews, not because audiences loved the second one.

Saw 1 was a hit among GP, and built a fanbase, quite rare, but sometimes happens, but movie #4, #5, #6 and #7 were definitely affected by the lack of quality of previous movies.

The Grudge, Freddy vs Jason are different movies from different times, RT was not a thing back then.

As I said, good reviews won’t help these art house movies at all (but The Witch did quite well for this kind of movie), they’re going to impact on mainstream Horror. 

34 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

When I said long term, I meant the legs. The Purge 1 has awful legs, the next two movies improved on quality, and then B.O followed, and they’re not hated by critics like the first one.

PA2 is barely rotten, lol, it has a 58% score, mixed reviews at best, and if the third one managed to increase, that’s because it received good reviews, not because audiences loved the second one.

Saw 1 was a hit among GP, and built a fanbase, quite rare, but sometimes happens, but movie #4, #5, #6 and #7 were definitely affected by the lack of quality of previous movies.

The Grudge, Freddy vs Jason are different movies from different times, RT was not a thing back then.

As I said, good reviews won’t help these art house movies at all (but The Witch did quite well for this kind of movie), they’re going to impact on mainstream Horror. 

Purge 2 didn’t increase because it was good. It still had a huge opening weekend, which means it was good will from people who did like the first.

Quality doesn’t effect a film on its opening day, so PA3 didn’t have a massive opening because it had good reviews, it was from people who liked PA2. 

RT was definitely around when Freddy vs Jason etc came out. I used it back then too. 

Saw 1, 2 and 3 got dreadful reviews and were consistent, increasing hits. Bad reviews had no effect. Quality and frequency of the films impacted later sequels, as it always does. 

25 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Purge 2 didn’t increase because it was good. It still had a huge opening weekend, which means it was good will from people who did like the first.

Quality doesn’t effect a film on its opening day, so PA3 didn’t have a massive opening because it had good reviews, it was from people who liked PA2. 

RT was definitely around when Freddy vs Jason etc came out. I used it back then too. 

Saw 1, 2 and 3 got dreadful reviews and were consistent, increasing hits. Bad reviews had no effect. Quality and frequency of the films impacted later sequels, as it always does. 

Good will from people who liked the first movie? LMFAO. The first movie was hated by GA, everybody expected the sequel to decrease hard, even the tracking was low before the reviews, it was after critics said that the movie finally delivered on its premise that the sequel started generating buzz, The Purge 2 had good OW and legs thanks to marketing + improved reviews.

Actually, if you collect good reviews before the release, it will certainly boost your numbers, and that’s what happened to PA3.

Yeah, but it was nowhere as influential as it is these days.

That’s what I said, Saw was critic proof, but the lack of quality of the sequels certainly affected the franchise.