Eevin

A Really Boring Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: F8 38.7M | Boss Baby 12.8M | Beauty and the Beast 10M | everything else bombing terribly

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

What box office woes? This year is off to a blazing start.

Ghost, Rangers, Monster Trucks...the list of bombs is pretty long already. Yeah Beauty and Logan performed pretty well...

also you should let me keep my 80 mil Mummy club, silencing me and the TP Mummy revolution only makes us stronger

Just now, drdungbeetle said:

Ghost, Rangers, Monster Trucks...the list of bombs is pretty long already. Yeah Beauty and Logan performed pretty well...

also you should let me keep my 80 mil Mummy club, silencing me and the TP Mummy revolution only makes us stronger

And Split. And Get Out. And Kong. And Lego Batman. And Boss Baby. And Fifty Shades. And A Dog's Purpose. And John Wick. And.....

• Like 19

Just now, grey ghost said:

First, Star Wars is YA and now MCU are comedies.

What's next? Pixar is horror?

Toy Story 3 has a pretty scary scene with the Hellfire near the end if that counts, THE CLAW is like the arm of God pulling them into Heaven

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drdungbeetle said:

Not sure it is worth it trying to name some movies, there was 186 movie playing in theater in 2017, you can name many failure and many success.

Best metric to know if the box office goes well must be simply looking at how much it did in total:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/?view2=ytdcompare&view=releasedate&p=.htm

Best adjusted start of a year since 2013 and by a good mount, even better than the 2016 start and that was a specially good one with Force Awaken+ Batman V Superman +Revenant+Deadpool+Zootopia+kung fu panda 3+jungle book first weekend.

2017 $3,477.5 - +2.9% +6.8% +7.8% +16.6% -
2016 $3,379.5 -2.8% - +3.8% +4.8% +13.3% -
2015 $3,257.3 -6.3% -3.6% - +1.0% +9.2% -
2014 $3,225.3 -7.3% -4.6% -1.0% - +8.2% -
2013 $2,981.7 -14.3% -11.8% -8.5% -7.6% - -
Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

The box office booms outweigh the busts significantly.

And your under club is resundant.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

First, Star Wars is YA and now MCU are comedies.

What's next? Pixar is horror?

People laugh a lot in my theater during them, not all but Guardian was one, Thor 3 will probably be one, etc... You would have placed Guardian of the galaxy in Drama instead of comedy at the golden globe ?

Just now, The Futurist said:

King Kong is a documentary about an uncharted island.

It sort of was in the sense that the 1933 original was based on the first Western explorers to walk on Komodo island, the first Komodo dragon they brought back died and was "killed by civilization"

41 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Whatever happened to the Donnie Darko guy ?

He was like Hollywood's next big thing for almost 5 minutes ...

He tried to do the A-list thing then Prince of Persia happened.

After that experience Gyllenhaal stayed away from tentpoles.

Just now, Barnack said:

People laugh a lot in my theater during them, not all but Guardian was one, Thor 3 will probably be one, etc... You would have placed Guardian of the galaxy in Drama instead of comedy at the golden globe ?

How the frig is Force Awakens "comedy". HAHAHAHAHA space facism ruined the universe and Han Solo's son murdered him, that's like saying Game of Thrones is kinda like Full House

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

I think it was the terrible film choices she made after 27 Dresses and The Ugly Truth (which wasn't a good movie, but made a nice amount of money) that did her in on top of her off-putting personality. The fact her first studio movie in years is a blatant rip-off of a trashy Beyoncé thriller that isn't even a decade old says it all.

IDK, Life As We Know It is predictable but well done for what it is, but the way she took a leave of absence from Grey's to spend time with her baby, she said, only to go film a movie, well that's not America's Sweetheart behavior and I doubt it helped the box office. She renewed her TV contract then almost immediately asked for leaves to go make movies, so unprofessional that Shonda Rhimes just let her walk. Then, she wasn't really right for One for the Money, her reputation was pretty toxic by then and after that she wasn't really getting the big projects.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Willis's career is so weird. He commands a lot of money even now (he fell out of Expendables 3 because he wanted 3M for 3 days instead of 2M), he obviously does not care about script or anything, just how much money is coming his way. In a way, that is refreshing that he cares so little, but it hurts his brand in the long term. The only reason he isn't considered like a Nic Cage is because he is a bit more "in control" than Cage is.

Willis has a much younger wife and little kids, the family's gotta eat. :D

Next weekend there's The Circle, I've heard meh to bad things about the quality of the movie itself but if they really cared, it could at least be advertised to seem like something topical and must-see. The ads all just have that whispery chick singing "they're watching us", as Emma sounds nothing like herself (not just her accent but the tone of her voice) and looks vaguely confused or pained? I'm not totally sure what Watson is going for there. Are she or Hanks promoting it at all? 

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

He tried to do the A-list thing then Prince of Persia happened.

After that experience Gyllenhaal stayed away from tentpoles.

:lol:

I was talking about the director.

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I think the word action should be included.

The term "action comedy" fits well enough.

people who for some reason have a hard on for heroes taking responsibility for collateral damage these days should check out the original Son of Kong from the 30s. good chunk of the first act is just people chasing and trying to sue carl denham for fucking up new york.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Summer will have lots of kills, Spring was undersaturated

So youre saying theres going to be some more disappointments this year.

Thats a bold call, Cotton.