kayumanggi

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON | 10.20.2023 | Paramount | current gross: $67,826,648

Sources say things changed when the director and his star decided to revise the script. Originally DiCaprio was playing the good guy working for the then-nascent FBI. In the revised version, DiCaprio would portray villain Robert De Niro’s nephew, torn between love and the evil machinations of his uncle. A source with knowledge of the situation says Paramount felt that turned the film into a moody and less commercial character study — “smaller scale; same budget.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/behind-martin-scorseses-killers-flower-moon-apple-deal-1296394

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't mind seeing DiCaprio play a smaller villain role (will probably get two supporting actor noms like The Irishman). I wonder who's gonna get the lead FBI role then. 

Bradley Cooper

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Leo's now role sounds much better honestly. The newphew irl was married to one of the Osage people. Could be a really meaty role. Also no wonder Paramount didn't like the new script as much. Probably didn't want a smaller film where the main star plays a supporting role.

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Leo's now role sounds much better honestly. The newphew irl was married to one of the Osage people. Could be a really meaty role. Also no wonder Paramount didn't like the new script as much. Probably didn't want a smaller film where the main star plays a supporting role.

Haven't read the book but I'm pretty sure it's gotta have been reporpused with Leo changing roles. If the lead of the book is the detective I don't think he 'll be the lead of the movie. Doesn't mean Leo has to have Wolf or Revenant levels of screentime here. But I feel even if this is a true ensemble and they even get a big name to play the detective, it will lean more on the civilians than the ivestigators. After all Leo and DeNiro were the two first people cast in this.

3 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Haven't read the book but I'm pretty sure it's gotta have been reporpused with Leo changing roles. If the lead of the book is the detective I don't think he 'll be the lead of the movie. Doesn't mean Leo has to have Wolf or Revenant levels of screentime here. But I feel even if this is a true ensemble and they even get a big name to play the detective, it will lean more on the civilians than the ivestigators. After all Leo and DeNiro were the two first people cast in this.

I heard that even though the FBI agent is the protagonist, the nephew has the best role. I think the book itself probably focuses a lot on both De Niro's character and his nephew. I think the FBI agent still has a larger screen time than DiCaprio and that's why Paramount wasn't so fond of the new script.

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I heard that even though the FBI agent is the protagonist, the nephew has the best role. I think the book itself probably focuses a lot on both De Niro's character and his nephew. I think the FBI agent still has a larger screen time than DiCaprio and that's why Paramount wasn't so fond of the new script.

I have heard nothing about the revised screenplay or the book but what I infer from the article is that Paramount got scared when this turned from good guy Leo investigates despicable guys to despicaple guy Leo does despicable things. At most I can see this being a Departed-like ensemble with several characters getting much focus so there isn't a crystal clear lead. I guess we 'll have a better idea when they cast the detective role.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 7:35 AM, antovolk said:

Based on how things went with Irishman, the right choice. Gets the full theatrical window and wide global release via Paramount, then just skips traditional home ent and goes onto ATV+ 16 weeks later or so. Criterion or similar Blu-ray probably too.

This is a new balance for theaterical experience and latest technology .

With theatrical commitment, I hope this movie run time can come in under 2 hours 45m

18 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Can this film considered as another "gangster" entry from Martin Scorsese

13 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Can this film considered as another "gangster" entry from Martin Scorsese

Not really sure. I had the feeling the last one was his "goodbye" to the genre. We'll see.

I'm of half a mind to call it a western.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:16 AM, lorddemaxus said:

Sources say things changed when the director and his star decided to revise the script. Originally DiCaprio was playing the good guy working for the then-nascent FBI. In the revised version, DiCaprio would portray villain Robert De Niro’s nephew, torn between love and the evil machinations of his uncle. A source with knowledge of the situation says Paramount felt that turned the film into a moody and less commercial character study — “smaller scale; same budget.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/behind-martin-scorseses-killers-flower-moon-apple-deal-1296394

There's no indication here that Leo's role would become "supporting" -- just that they shifted the tone and focus of the script.  I'm sure he and DeNiro are still the "leads," it's just a matter of which characters from the original story are the focus... and it's obvious that DiCaprio found this angle more "meaty." 

On 5/30/2020 at 8:33 AM, 35MM-18 said:

Not really sure. I had the feeling the last one was his "goodbye" to the genre. We'll see.

I'm of half a mind to call it a western.

Crime film, yes.

Gangster film,probably not.

• Like 1

https://thefilmstage.com/martin-scorseses-killers-of-the-flower-moon-to-begin-production-in-february-2021/

Martin Scorsese’s Killers of the Flower Moon to Begin Production in February 2021

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

http://osagenews.org/en/article/2020/08/06/killers-flower-moon-filming-begin-february-2021/ 

This year may have brought on a global pandemic and a new world of changes, but next year may bring excitement and Hollywood fanfare to the Osage community.

Principal Chief Geoffrey Standing Bear gave a report to the 7th Osage Nation Congress on Aug. 5 about the need for an Osage Nation Museum expansion and remodel and let slip a tiny detail about the upcoming film “Killers of the Flower Moon.”

“My latest information is that they would start filming, subject to Coronavirus, February 2021,” he said. “And, they will be here for about 16 weeks. They’re going to start moving in here quietly, I’m not helping that very much, but quietly around November and December. So, they’re coming.”

KOTFM will be directed by Martin Scorsese and will star Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro. The rest of the cast has not been publicly named. The film is based on David Grann’s bestselling book of the same name and is about the Osage Reign of Terror and the birth of the FBI.

In May it was announced that Apple will finance the $200 million film while Paramount will distribute the film theatrically worldwide. Speaking to Vanity Fair in July, cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto said great care would be taken to maintain the health of the film’s famous director and stars. Prieto said Scorsese has asthma and he would be using camera tricks for close-ups to keep everyone at a safe physical distance.

According to Osage Nation ambassadors for the film, Chad Renfro and Addie Roanhorse, communication is open between them and film executives and they are being kept abreast of upcoming plans.

“They are excited about the partnership with Apple and that they will be and are very much looking forward to filming here. The industry and production is basically at a standstill due to COVID 19 and timing is the biggest unknown,” Renfro said in an email. “With safety for all being of greatest concern, once the industry protocol has been established and it is safe to embark on this important project, they will reach back out to us.”

This is good news for the many Osages who plan to work on the film. Before the pandemic, crew members of the film were in talks with Osage artisans, cooks, language speakers, homeowners, landowners, and others to work on the film. Filmmakers have also expressed interest in filming inside the Osage Capitol Building, the old Superintendent’s House on the Osage campus, and other Osage historical homes around the county.