kayumanggi

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON | 10.20.2023 | Paramount | final gross: $68,026,901

6 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Really not on board with this runtime. 2+ hour movies are already long enough.

I don't mine three hour plus movies if the story jusjtifes it..some of favorite films take over 3 hours ('Lawrence Of Arabia" "DrZhivago" "Godfather 2" 'Return Of the King" but, having read the book, I can't see this story taking three hours or longer to tell.

But this whole dictting a length for movies is just foolish.

The great producer David O Selznick said a movie can be too long at 90 minutes, or too short at three hours. It all depends on what the story  and charecters requires.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Joel M said:

Fingers crossed. Weird they'll premiere it at Cannes and not Venice though, with that release date.

They still could, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Pretty good date considering October is still looking a bit on the "open" side, it's the same month Leo and Marty bowed The Departed (and almost Shutter Island until it moved to early the following year at the last minute).

5 hours ago, Joel M said:

Fingers crossed. Weird they'll premiere it at Cannes and not Venice though, with that release date.

Cannes is a much better known and much more media covered even then Venice. More publicity bang with Cannes.

Sure it's been done before but I think not with a movie of that scale. This like Dune or OUATIH is the kind of movie that will get 10x the media buzz/coverage of any other smaller auteur movie in a big festival. It would normally be the start of a large scale marketing push until the release. It will be weird if this open at Cannes with all the breathless coverage a 200m Scorsese-Leo movie would get and then pump the breaks for 3 months to relaunch in September in a smaller festival. This isn't comparable to Parasite or No Country for Old Men. It might come from a streamer but it's still a gigantic movie with a ton of pedigree and star power. And it 'll release in theatres supposedly with all the marketing hoopla that entails.

I'm not saying it won't happen. Just noting that it's kind of unprecedented.

To be fair, this summer is already way too crowded for something big like this to drop in with a "surprise!" release date announcement. Not to mention fall is still largely barren for the most part (the biggest September and October releases at the moment are...The Equalizer 3, A Haunting in Venice, Kraven the Hunter, and the Exorcist revival). Even with all the big names involved, this is the kind of movie that won't be an easy sell given its subject matter to begin with, so taking the "building buzz" approach seems best for a theatrical run (imagine with the choice of October the plan is to have it on streaming by the time of nominations in January, or maybe even by Christmas since it'll have been pretty much forced out of most theaters by then).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

i was thinking october before it got dated though because it's right that the month is empty for competition. morbius 2 and an exorcist legacy sequel who cares. if they sell it right this could be the highest grossing movie of that month.