grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

On 5/22/2021 at 11:58 PM, Eric De Vil said:

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-13 and Counting (Fri)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 38 84 3837 2.19%

Total Seats Sold Today: 5

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-12 and Counting (Fri)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 38 102 3837 2.66%

Total Seats Sold Today: 18

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Porthos said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-5 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

33.05%

Total Sellouts Added Today

Total Showings Added Today

Total Seats Added Today

Total Seats Sold Today

T-5 Comp     PERHAPS LOL AT THIS POINT - USE AT OWN RISK

%

Sold T-5

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

26/126

2848/5496

48.18%

4.19m

===

Private Watch Party Showings - Cinemark ($149)

Private Watch Party Showings - Regal ($199)

Adjusted Seats

NOTE: PWP adj = 16 seats for Cinemark [$149/$9.25 - rounded down], 14 seats for Cinema West [$130/$9.25 - rounded down], and 22 seats for Regal [$199/$9.25 - rounded up]

See further explanation for why I am approximating PWPs and why they should be viewed with at least some skepticism for Cinemark and Cinema West in this post.  However, it appears that we can track Regal PWPs to the movie purchased, as mentioned in this later post.

SECOND NOTE:  Since A Quiet Place Part II and Cruella are both debuting on the same day and both have PWPs available for purchase, I am not approximating the tickets sold at Cinemark and Cinema West locations for either movie on this track.  For the record, however, 8 PWP showings were purchased before tickets for Cruella  went on sale, for an approximation of 128 tickets.

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-4 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

36.06%

Total Sellouts Added Today

Total Showings Added Today

Total Seats Added Today

Total Seats Sold Today

T-4 Comp                PROBABLY STILL LOL - USE AT OWN RISK

%

Sold T-4

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

31/126

2548/5496

53.64%

4.14m

===

Private Watch Party Showings - Cinemark ($149)

Private Watch Party Showings - Regal ($199)

Adjusted Seats

NOTE: PWP adj = 16 seats for Cinemark [$149/$9.25 - rounded down], 14 seats for Cinema West [$130/$9.25 - rounded down], and 22 seats for Regal [$199/$9.25 - rounded up]

See further explanation for why I am approximating PWPs and why they should be viewed with at least some skepticism for Cinemark and Cinema West in this post.  However, it appears that we can track Regal PWPs to the movie purchased, as mentioned in this later post.

SECOND NOTE:  Since A Quiet Place Part II and Cruella are both debuting on the same day and both have PWPs available for purchase, I am not approximating the tickets sold at Cinemark and Cinema West locations for either movie on this track.  For the record, however, 8 PWP showings were purchased before tickets for Cruella  went on sale, for an approximation of 128 tickets.

• Thanks 2

So here it goes. Unfortunately:

A. My area doesn't seem too presale heavy at all; and,

B. I have a Cinemark in this 3 theater set so can't tell what the Private Watch Parties are but here goes nothing:

A Quiet Place Part II Southern Tier Premiere Night Seat Report: T-3 days and COUNTING

Theater Movie Showtimes Seats Sold Seats Available %
Total Overall AQP2 18 48 1748 2.75%

My local theater has an insane amount of showtimes for this (9 in an 8 screen theater) and not many tickets sold.

As an aside: how are you guys handing total seats available? I am just doing full rows that are available knowing that the true capacity will be severely reduced once someone buys seats there. Wanted to see if there were any best practices.

Edited by Jayhawk the Hutt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Cruella Southern Tier Premiere Night Seat Report: T-3 days and COUNTING

Theater Movie Showtimes Seats Sold Seats Available %
Total Overall Cruella 6 13 506 2.57%

My local theater does not have any showings for Thursday night. Weird as they have Friday night showings.

Edited by Jayhawk the Hutt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

As an aside: how are you guys handing total seats available? I am just doing full rows that are available knowing that the true capacity will be severely reduced once someone buys seats there. Wanted to see if there were any best practices.

What I do is have a spreadsheet calculation that takes the total number of seats actually present in a theater and then applies the current cap to it and use that number as the total number of seats available.  Under the theory that, well, there can't be more seats actually purchased than that.

Theoretically at least if said theater is following the rules. :ph34r:

As for socially distanced seats?  Well locally I'm lucky as all of the theaters I'm tracking it hasn't been an issue yet as a theater will hit the cap before they run out of seats.  However a couple of theaters I track which have stadium seating but haven't switched over to luxury recliners block off every other row.  Right now those theaters are still at 25% caps and thus when they cap out they still manage to hit the theoretical limit.  But whenever they're gonna be allowed to have 50% capacity, it's gonna be an issue as they'll almost certainly run out of seats before hitting their theoretical cap of people allowed.

What I'll probably do when those theaters are allowed to have 50%, if they are still blocking off every other row, is still use the theoretical cap number, but watch those showings like a hawk and try to use as close to the real number as possible when/if they ever sell out a showing.  Perhaps not surprisingly due to the lack of luxury recliners these are some of the least trafficked theaters in town so it might not be too much of an issue. Hopefully. qnqGT0e.png

On the other hand being that imprecise annoys me so I might just manually adjust the seats available number downward to whatever the actual number of seats purchased ended up being.  Might not matter in the end, as California is set to remove seating restrictions soon, but since that isn't happening in NY yet, you might consider a manual adjustment of seats downward if the actual number of seats available starts getting lower than the theoretical cap number, though that is an extra level of busywork that might be too annoying to keep track of.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

The Conjuring 3, counted exceptionally early today at 7am EST:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7):
61 (4 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24):
24 (4 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18):
7 (4 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 2 (2 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11):
12 (3 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 16 (3 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal):
119 (3 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in
7 theaters till today for June 4: 241.
Up 33% till Thursday. Not really good. And only 1 day left to reach the number which AQP II had last Tuesday (402, won't happen). But I could imagine that horror film fans at the moment focus on AQP II and care next week for The Conjuring 3 (maybe after seeing the trailer in theaters or hearing of the early reactions this weekend).

AQP II, previews on Thursday, also counted today at 7am EST:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7):
152 (8 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24):
79 (11 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18):
14 (9 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9):
still no showtimes
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11):
29 (5 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16):
178 (10 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal):
295 (17 showtimes)

Total tickets sold i
n 6 theaters till today for May 27: 747.

Up 51%. That looks better! So AQP II is now at 38% of the number that It 2 had on Monday of its release week (and AQP II has the advantage of the longer weekend). The Invisible Man (28.2M OW) had on the Monday of its release week 345 sold tickets. And, not the best comp, but Bad Boys for Life (62.5M OW) had also on Monday 915 + one Sell Out, so ca. 1000 sold tickets and AQP II is ca. at 75%.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

A Quiet Place 2 Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 136 1594 8.53%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 89 1415 6.29%

SEATS SOLD SOLD 2 PAST DAYS TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
599 158 14605 4.10% 15 79

$150 PWPs: 5        
$200 PWPs: 1        
$250 PWPs: 1        
$300 PWPs: 2        
Total 9        

Showings added: 4

Seats added: 932

GvK comp: 2.46M

IT 2 comp: 3.76M

A Quiet Place is at least keeping pace with GvK now, even slightly beating it. The past 2 days have been good. The IT 2 comp looks good, but keep in mind that capacity limits and some theaters being closed aren't taken into account.

A Quiet Place 2 Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 187 1594 11.73%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 133 1415 9.40%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
785 186 15080 5.21% 15 86

Total 9        

Showings added: 7

Seats added: 475

GvK comp: 2.7M

Invisible Man comp: 9.94M

IT 2 comp: 4.55M

Invisible Man probably isn't gonna be a good comp until the day of 😂 But really good acceleration these past few days. Hopefully it can continue to ramp up more and more these last few days.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

23 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Cruella Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 20 654 3.06%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 62 664 9.34%

SEATS SOLD SOLD 2 PAST DAYS TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
191 43 6850 2.79% 15 48

Total 9        

Showings added: 5

Seats added: 825

Maleficent comp: 1.48M

Cruella Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 33 654 5.05%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 67 664 10.09%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
224 33 7141 3.14% 15 54

Total 9        

Showings added: 6

Seats added: 291

Maleficent comp: 1.46M

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Cruella can do at least 30M 4-day?

1 hour ago, Inceptionzq said:

I would guess 25M 4-day right now, but certainly not impossible.

The box office gods are hangry after being denied their annual MDW Sacrifice last year and Aladdin kicking their ass in 2019, so.... qnqGT0e.png

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

With Thursday preview that starting at 5pm and Monday's holiday, AQP2's opening weekend is actually  4.5 days, not that much different from GvK's 5 days Easter weekend. So anything above 48.1m is a win for me.   

23 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Oh come on. Disney gave away $600M away off Aladdin. that's a big sacrifice.

Nah.  Aladdin not only far exceeded expectations, but did very well in its own right.  That Disney tried to appease the box office gods with a MDW sacrifice, but failed, simply proves that in 2019 Disney truly was king.  Even when they left money on the table (and I agree with you they did in the case of Aladdin) they still won and made gobs of money.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Aladdin not only far exceeded expectations

Yeah by huge margin, the post teaser expectations. But the general potential of film was huge as it showed in Korea, Japan and Middle East. In 2 of 3, A beat A:EG while almost beat in Korea.

56 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I know 48 is quite possible but no way that is bar for win.

Anything above $35M 4 days will/should be considered OK.

But even Peter rabbit 2 can elevate UK box office to pre-pandemic level, why not AQP2? AQP made more than peter rabbit here at state. 

A live-action remake of Aladdin starring Will Smith was always a guaranteed megablockbuster no matter how meh the marketing was provided the movie wasn't a disaster (and it wasn't). Cruella would have been lucky to even approach half of its numbers even in a pandemic-free, theatrical-exclusive environment, but the chances Disney ever expected those kinds of numbers for it when the budget is no doubt much smaller (no CGI spectacle or overly lavish sets and Stone is the only big star in the movie) is...slim to none.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1