grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Yeah I agree with all these factors. People are still worried/unsure and they also changed viewing habits. So combination of both means they are less likely to rush to cinemas for just about anything. We'll know what's up when real heavy hitters kick off the screens (BW, F&F).  Those are movies, especially Marvel, that are big with casual audience and likely something even cautious or those who are now hooked on streaming will be willing to put worries aside/break the new habit for.

On 5/19/2021 at 2:55 PM, Inceptionzq said:

A Quiet Place 2 Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 93 1594 5.83%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 58 1415 4.10%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
361 20 12894 2.80% 14 73

$150 PWPs: 5        
$200 PWPs: 1        
$250 PWPs: 1        
$300 PWPs: 2        
Total 9        

Showings added: 5

Seats added: 761

GvK comp: 2.48M

A Quiet Place 2 Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 106 1594 6.65%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 62 1415 4.38%

399 38 13673 2.92% 15 75

Total 9        

GvK comp: 2.47M

Added one more theater, probably the last one I'll add for the time being. They just added showings there, so none of the tickets sold in the past day are from that theater. Just as a note, I won't have an Invisible Man comp until T-3 days, but if I had one, it would be handily beating it. The question is whether AQP will have a big surge in the last few days like Invisible Man.

Edited by Inceptionzq
  • Like 4

On 5/19/2021 at 3:11 PM, Inceptionzq said:

Cruella Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 15 654 2.29%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 41 664 6.17%

112 15 5759 1.94% 14 42

Total 9        

Showings added: 6

Seats added: 916

Cruella Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 17 654 2.60%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 46 664 6.93%

130 18 5759 2.26% 14 42

Total 9        

Maleficent comp: 1.42M

We'll see how great of a comp Maleficent ends up being, so take it with a grain of salt, but it should at least work for target audience and type of movie.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Audiences Want to See ‘Black Widow’ in Theaters, But May Not Stick Around After

https://observer.com/2021/05/marvel-black-widow-box-office-covid-19-film-recovery-disney-plus-hbo-max/

The image in the article (that highlights the survey) doesn't really back the headline up, both Suicide Squad (1 month later) and Shang-Chi (2 months later) are not a very big drop from Black Widow. I am more surprised by Jungle Cruise and to a lesser extent Space Jam being so in favour of watching at home though, as one is an action spectacle whilst the other a family friendly film (which have generally done well in the last 12 months) 

unnamed-1-1.jpg?resize=1536,1197

Of course all of this is survey data so needs to be taken with a massive grain of salt. 

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

The image in the article (that highlights the survey) doesn't really back the headline up, both Suicide Squad (1 month later) and Shang-Chi (2 months later) are not a very big drop from Black Widow. I am more surprised by Jungle Cruise and to a lesser extent Space Jam being so in favour of watching at home though, as one is an action spectacle whilst the other a family friendly film (which have generally done well in the last 12 months) 

Of course all of this is survey data so needs to be taken with a massive grain of salt. 

And this can explain the underwhelming Cruella presales despite the trailer having pretty great views.

I think some movies will definitely be hurted by simultaneos releases (or quick VOD's) even on the debut.

• Like 3

How valid is this survey really is for Space Jam? I mean, is clearly a movie for small kids. If you go ask a bunch of grown up people how they want to see a movie outside of their target demographic and that they would never see in normal times unless if they had to accompany a kid, what option do you really think they gonna choose...?

• Like 1

The new Space Jam just looks weird. Evil A.I. Don Cheadle kidnaps LeBron's son and won't release him unless he and the Looney Tunes win the basketball game? And there's cameos from pretty much every iconic character in the WB library? Honestly feels like the kind of oddly-conceived project that would've followed in the original's footsteps (WB definitely expected a lot more in 1996 than $90M given all the intense buzz that surrounded it at the time) and missed the studio's expectations even in normal times.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 11:10 PM, Eric the Jigsaw Killer said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-8 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 1 172 701 16636 4.21%

Total Seats Sold Today: 63

Comp

0.540x of Godzilla vs. Kong T-8 Before Release (5.24M)

0.866x of Mortal Kombat T-8 Before Release (7.88M)

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-7 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 1 177 793 16876 4.70%

Total Shows Added Today: 5

Total Seats Added Today: 240

Total Seats Sold Today: 92

Comp

0.555x of Godzilla vs. Kong T-7 Before Release (5.38M)

0.801x of Mortal Kombat T-7 Before Release (7.28M)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2021 at 11:18 PM, Eric the Jigsaw Killer said:

Cruella Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-8 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 0 112 162 10061 1.61%

Total Showings Added Today: 4

Total Seats Sold Today: 208

Total Seats Sold Today: 34

Cruella Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-7 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 0 117 188 10589 1.78%

Total Showings Added Today: 5

Total Seats Added Today: 528

Total Seats Sold Today: 26

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2021 at 11:21 PM, Eric the Jigsaw Killer said:

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-16 and Counting (Fri)

TOTALS 0 41 62 4426 1.24%

Total Seats Sold Today: 7

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-15 and Counting (Fri)

TOTALS 0 41 73 4426 1.65%

Total Seats Sold Today: 11

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Porthos said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-8 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

22.92%

Total Sellouts Removed Today

Total Seats Sold Today

T-8 Comp      FAIRLY LOL AT THIS POINT - USE AT OWN RISK

%

Sold T-9

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

14/115

2846/4784

40.51%

4.06m

NOTE: Tickets have been on sale for five days longer for AQP Part II than GvK had been on sale locally this far from their respective premieres. 

===

Private Watch Party Showings - Cinemark ($149)

Private Watch Party Showings - Regal ($199)

Adjusted Seats

NOTE: PWP adj = 16 seats for Cinemark [$149/$9.25 - rounded down], 14 seats for Cinema West [$130/$9.25 - rounded down], and 22 seats for Regal [$199/$9.25 - rounded up]

See further explanation for why I am approximating PWPs and why they should be viewed with at least some skepticism for Cinemark and Cinema West in this post.  However, it appears that we can track Regal PWPs to the movie purchased, as mentioned in this later post.

SECOND NOTE:  Since A Quiet Place Part II and Cruella are both debuting on the same day and both have PWPs available for purchase, I am not approximating the tickets sold at Cinemark and Cinema West locations for either movie on this track.  For the record, however, 8 PWP showings were purchased before tickets for Cruella  went on sale, for an approximation of 128 tickets.

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-7 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

25.95%

Total Showings Removed Today

Total Seats Removed Today

Total Seats Sold Today

T-7 Comp      FAIRLY LOL AT THIS POINT - USE AT OWN RISK

%

Sold T-7

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

15/119

3208/5328

39.79%

4.18m

NOTE: Tickets have been on sale for five days longer for AQP Part II than GvK had been on sale locally this far from their respective premieres. 

===

Adjusted Seats

NOTE: PWP adj = 16 seats for Cinemark [$149/$9.25 - rounded down], 14 seats for Cinema West [$130/$9.25 - rounded down], and 22 seats for Regal [$199/$9.25 - rounded up]

See further explanation for why I am approximating PWPs and why they should be viewed with at least some skepticism for Cinemark and Cinema West in this post.  However, it appears that we can track Regal PWPs to the movie purchased, as mentioned in this later post.

SECOND NOTE:  Since A Quiet Place Part II and Cruella are both debuting on the same day and both have PWPs available for purchase, I am not approximating the tickets sold at Cinemark and Cinema West locations for either movie on this track.  For the record, however, 8 PWP showings were purchased before tickets for Cruella  went on sale, for an approximation of 128 tickets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-7 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

25.95%

Total Showings Removed Today

Total Seats Removed Today

Total Seats Sold Today

T-7 Comp      FAIRLY LOL AT THIS POINT - USE AT OWN RISK

%

Sold T-7

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

15/119

3208/5328

39.79%

4.18m

===

Adjusted Seats

Is Thursday Q&A show still selling bad? 

5 hours ago, Jamiem said:

This largely in line with our expectation where people generally want to see a sequel or franchise film in theater while standalone film suffered at home.

This explain why we don't have much original hit in recent years.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Is Thursday Q&A show still selling bad? 

Better than it was, but not super strong sales.  

*does a quick check*

Something like 106/355 if I eyeballed the math right.  Better than the other 5pm to 5:59pm shows at least (115/907).

Thursday night:

A Quiet Place Part II:

5:00: 5/107

5:30 IMAX: 0/372

7:00 Dolby: 36/236

8:00: 3/107

9:00 IMAX: 4/372

Total: 48/1,194

Cruella:

6:00: 2/107

7:15: 4/107

9:15: 3/107

Total: 9/321

Pretty abysmal all around. AQP's Dolby showing hasn't really gained much ground since tickets went on sale, and the extension to 5PM doesn't seem to be helping yet. Cruella is gonna flop. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jungle Cruise (even before the pandemic when it was going to open last summer) and Cruella always felt like some of the more dicey Disney projects in a while (the live-action remakes/re-imaginings that aren't obviously tied to immense nostalgia like the four '89-'94 Renaissance icons have underperformed expectations while movies based on Disney Parks attractions have a poor track record with the exception of the Pirates franchise) so I'm not surprised more people would rather watch them on + (arguably the most powerful streaming service besides Netflix) if given the option to see them that way at the same time as theaters than to leave their homes for titles that lack the urgency to see them ASAP like a Marvel movie. At least this way they know no one will truly hold it against them knowing that they decided to make them sacrificial lambs ahead of time.

• Like 1