grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Do you mean JW1 or JW:FK?

Both work imo. Neither JW nor JW:FK had strong presales, but were of course very walk-up heavy. In terms of raw dollars though, the way more realistic comp is Fallen Kingdom, as many would probably agree that Pikachu has a good shot at 100M OW. But not 200M like in JW's case.

Edited by Brainbug

Just now, Brainbug said:

Both work imo. Neither JW nor JW:FK had strong presales, but were of course very walk-up heavy. In terms of raw dollars, the way more realistic comp is Fallen Kingdom, as many would probably agree that Pikachu has a good shot at 100M OW. But not 200M like in JW's case.

I could see JW:FK work, but JW was a totally different time imo. As people have been saying pre-sales have been growing every year.

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I could see JW:FK work, but JW was a totally different time imo. As people have been saying pre-sales have been growing every year.

Yeah I'm not talking about pure dollars and cents. No way does DP come anywhere close to that. I just meant it's going to play like JW, where the presales don't give us the whole picture about how big the OW is going to be.

For the record, I don't even think it'll have an enormous OW. I'm just saying if it does, that's going to be how it happens. Don't expect big presales.

• Like 2

Just now, Mulder said:

Thats right but back in 2015, we had films like Age of Ultron and especially TFA also breaking tickets sites and getting crazy presales while Jurassic World - just like Fallen Kingdom last year - didnt have them.

What im trying to say is that just on a basic level (not presales-heavy, but strong walk-ups) both Jurassic World films apply to that and it will also probably apply to Pikachu.

14 minutes ago, Nova said:

Detective Pikachu is currently at 543 (including 3D) for what its worth. Will see how much it can close the gap by and will be interesting to see if it does play like a traditional family film or not. 

Using just that, it would translate to a $50M OW, it should grow throughout the night so that’s a good start.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Thats right but back in 2015, we had films like Age of Ultron and especially TFA also breaking tickets sites and getting crazy presales while Jurassic World - just like Fallen Kingdom last year - didnt have them.

What im trying to say is that just on a basic level (not presales-heavy, but strong walk-ups) both Jurassic World films apply to that and it will also probably apply to Pikachu.

I don't remember AoU's pre-sales admittedly so I can't comment there, but I only really remember TFA getting talked up. We'll see what happens though

Just now, Premium George said:

Still crazy how walkup heavy FK was. For such a big franchise, lack of rush is amazing. 

As i (and others) have said back when it came out, Jurassic Park/World only has a very small "hard fanbase" in comparison to franchises like Marvel or Star Wars. But its core selling point - dinosaurs - is unique and appeals to basically everybody. The whole GA is JW's "larger fanbase" and the fate of every entry in that film series is entirely determined by the overall interest and hook for the GA.

• Like 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

As i (and others) have said back when it came out, Jurassic Park/World only has a very small "hard fanbase" in comparison to franchises like Marvel or Star Wars. But its core selling point - dinosaurs - is unique and appeals to basically everybody. The whole GA is JW's "larger fanbase" and the fate of every entry in that film series is entirely determined by the overall interest and hook for the GA.

Pretty much this. Which is good because the hardcore JP/W fanbase fucking sucks. ((Not you Brainbug you're cool))

• Thanks 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

Still surprising, as this films are doing mega numbers OW. At $150m, you start getting the idea. I don't remember any other such films. Wish these fandago was during 2015 amd after. JW, Deadpool, would have been amazing to get results after following them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Premium George said:

Still surprising, as this films are doing mega numbers OW. At $150m, you start getting the idea. I don't remember any other such films. Wish these fandago was during 2015 amd after. JW, Deadpool, would have been amazing to get results after following them.

JW OW thread is still the most fun i had on these forums. Not only because the numbers just kept rising and rising but also because they were posted by a film i loved.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Hellboy Thursday Night Showings @ Davenport 53rd 18 + IMAX - 5:30 CST

IMAX
7:00 - 3/387

10:00 - 0/387

2D

8:00 - 6/135

11:00 - 0/135

What the hell. Oh God, these are hellish numbers. Seems like the fans really werent on fire for this new version.

Spoiler

Im so sorry.

• Haha 1

Just now, HouseOfTheSun said:

So DP is now a family driven film when everyone has been hooting and hollering that it was a mega event in the making with incredible fan rush?

Nova and YM are now re-evaluating based on actual evidence. Yes a lot of the hyperbole was annoying and now obviously not correct, but that doesn't change what DP will most likely play as. 

1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

So DP is now a family driven film when everyone has been hooting and hollering that it was a mega event in the making with incredible fan rush?

Yep. But I wasn't one of the ones hooting and hollering. People got way too carried away. They were filled to the brim with their own sense of nostalgia and excitement and projected that on to the general public.