grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

Pokemon GO brought a lot of recognition to the brand and it's still pretty far away. I'm not saying it's going to blow up or anything but 80-110 is the range I'm going for right now and I don't think it's that crazy. Shazam beat tracking by about 10 million overall and that sounds about right. Also BOP's high is 90 million as well so I don't see the need to jump to it's lowest.

Disney=/=WB. They have different strategies. Ryan Reynolds has a lot of followers on twitter so using him to announce the ticket sales was their marketing choice. There's not going to be a final trailer.

But that wasn't the high, was it? Unlike every other movie, they didn't provide a range. They only said $75 million+, and then picked $90 million as their prediction. Their prediction always falls around the middle of their range, so it seems that their actual range is something more like $75-105 million.

1 minute ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

Before anyone hits the panic button, anyone care to guess how many Pulse transactions Incredibles 2 had on its first day? (May 11th, so similar gap to opening day) 

This, exactly.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

Before anyone hits the panic button, anyone care to guess how many Pulse transactions Incredibles 2 had on its first day? (May 11th, so similar gap to opening day) 

Would like to point out that I've been taking pains not to hit any sort of panic button. Just saying that it's going to play like a traditional family film. :)

• Like 2

Just now, Porthos said:

Would like to point out that I've been taking pains not to hit any sort of panic button. Just saying that it's going to play like a traditional family film. :)

You've been good. It's just another case of fanboyism as always

• Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

You do a good job and always love your posts.

Not saying they’re equivalent by any means, but I2 had 1967 for its first 24 hours. Not exactly Earth-shattering 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Not saying they’re equivalent by any means, but I2 had 1967 for its first 24 hours. Not exactly Earth-shattering 

Yeah this is exactly what Porthos was saying about Finding Dory and I2 being good comps. If you expected DP to be a IW/TFA level fanboy driven event then yeah this disconfirms that, but if you think it'll be an immensely successful family movie you're still good.

• Like 3

Generally curious: Is there an example of a PG-rated film with heavy presales at all? Incredibles 2 and Finding Dory are the only ones to come to my mind when thinking about that and both of them were sequels to beloved first films and both nevertheless - in my memory - didnt lean that much into hefty presales.

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Generally curious: Is there an example of a PG-rated film with heavy presales at all? Incredibles 2 and Finding Dory are the only ones to come to my mind when thinking about that and both of them were sequels to beloved first films and both nevertheless - in my memory - didnt lean that much into hefty presales.

The thing is Pikachu's part of a franchise as well so if it doesn't get I2/Dory level pre-sales in about 2 more weeks I would start to worry. The thing is that's just future talk.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I2's pre-sales really picked up o/w

Fandango Pulse  Mon- Wed

Black Panther    35,429    36,302    39,934
Incredibles 2     20,872    23,430    39,337

Deadpool 2       23,134    28,896    41,212

Jurassic World 2    9,310    12,761    23,266

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Spiderverse is really the only one I can think of that didn’t truly take off like normal PG films

• Like 1

Spiderverse is really the only one I can think of that didn’t truly take off like normal PG films

In Spider-Verse's case that had of course everything to do with Spider-Man beeing quite the popular character.

So we have Incredibles 2 as an example of a more presales-leaning PG Film. I do think Pikachu will be very very interesting to track.

22 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

Detective Pikachu is currently at 543 (including 3D) for what its worth. Will see how much it can close the gap by and will be interesting to see if it does play like a traditional family film or not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JB33 said:

If DP indeed becomes sort of an event on opening weekend it'll play more like Jurassic World; not earth shattering presales and incredible walk-ups.

Do you mean JW1 or JW:FK?

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

You and @YourMother the Edgelord are the good ones. :ph34r:

I want Detective Pikachu to make all the money and I may go over board with my predictions but at the end of the day, if the movie is good and makes good enough money at the box office I'll be happy. I'll be rooting for it of course but I am trying not to let me personal expectations for the film get in the way of realistic predictions, which is something that I tend to do. 

Either way, I think Detective Pikachu will be a fun movie to track because of the unknowns. 

• Like 3