grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Logan Lucky in their biggest seems like an awful decision.

And why not just have Annabelle and Dark Tower in a screen each instead of mixing them?

The second biggest auditorium seats 35 more people than an average one. I'm guessing they think Annabelle's weekdays will get very quiet next week with community college back in session while night showings will still be packed.

I expected THB in the biggest and LL in the second biggest. LL is a real wildcard. 

Edited by WrathOfHan

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

The second biggest auditorium seats 35 more people than an average one. I'm guessing they think Annabelle's weekdays will get very quiet next week with community college back in session.

I expected THB in the biggest and LL in the second biggest. LL is a real wildcard. 

They expect more than 78 people to show up for the afternoon shows? :lol: Logan Lucky is gonna bomb. I would have thought they would put it in a average one. The Hitman's Bodyguard in the biggest and Annabelle in the 2nd biggest is what makes most sense, IMO.

(I edited my post to add a few more points about the choices in your theater)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

They expect more than 78 people to show up for the afternoon shows? :lol: Logan Lucky is gonna bomb. I would have thought they would put it in a average one. The Hitman's Bodyguard in the biggest and Annabelle in the 2nd biggest is what makes most sense, IMO.

(I edited my post to add a few more points about the choices in your theater)

The Dark Tower has been doing about mid-teens each showing today and yesterday while Annabelle does a bit in the morning and quiets down in the early afternoon before the evening rush. Splitting a screen makes no sense though; I'm with you. I'm just glad I can see Logan Lucky on a screen where I don't have to worry about letterboxing :lol: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Haha 1

Right now my theater is planning on putting All Saints in the second biggest auditorium, but it's sold jackshit so far :lol: Earlier this year, Case for Christ was doing very well in presales thanks to church groups, but that audience clearly isn't here for Sony's latest Christian flick. It ain't gonna be another War Room or Risen for them. Totally wouldn't be surprised with a sub-4M opening given the low TC.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Right now my theater is planning on putting All Saints in the second biggest auditorium, but it's sold jackshit so far :lol: Earlier this year, Case for Christ was doing very well in presales thanks to church groups, but that audience clearly isn't here for Sony's latest Christian flick. It ain't gonna be another War Room or Risen for them. Totally wouldn't be surprised with a sub-4M opening given the low TC.

It is still early so it might pick up a bit during the weekend. Either way, there other options are keeping the two top movies in there which won't be doing much either :lol:

I mean, Apes already recovered lost space this week. They don't even bother to put the openers in two screens with multiple shows :lol:

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Dark Tower has been doing about mid-teens each showing today and yesterday while Annabelle does a bit in the morning and quiets down in the early afternoon before the evening rush. Splitting a screen makes no sense though; I'm with you. I'm just glad I can see Logan Lucky on a screen where I don't have to worry about letterboxing :lol: 

It truly shows they have zero trust in the current line-up of movies.

I always prefer the biggest screens as well because of the same reasons :lol:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It is still early so it might pick up a bit during the weekend. Either way, there other options are keeping the two top movies in there which won't be doing much either :lol:

I mean, Apes already recovered lost space this week. They don't even bother to put the openers in two screens with multiple shows :lol:

It truly shows they have zero trust in the current line-up of movies.

I always prefer the biggest screens as well because of the same reasons :lol:

Oh there's still time to change All Saints' auditorium. Fucking Megan Leavey was originally placed there until they changed it about two weeks before it released :lol: Right now I'd take a guess and say Leap gets plopped into the biggest just because I don't think Logan Lucky will do anything crazy, or maybe if an indie expands here (Wind River, Ingrid, or Good Time) it'll go there.

Re letterboxing: the two biggest auditoriums at this theater have scope screens while the others are flat screens. I can tolerate letterboxing on a flat screen, but pillarboxing on a scope screen is the fucking worst.

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Oh there's still time to change All Saints' auditorium. Fucking Megan Leavey was originally placed there until they changed it about two weeks before it released :lol: Right now I'd take a guess and say Leap gets plopped into the biggest just because I don't think Logan Lucky will do anything crazy, or maybe if an indie expands here (Wind River, Ingrid, or Good Time) it'll go there.

Re letterboxing: the two biggest auditoriums at this theater have scope screens while the others are flat screens. I can tolerate letterboxing on a flat screen, but pillarboxing on a scope screen is the fucking worst.

With the way things are going, IT is gonna get half the screens on every theater by the time it opens :lol:

• Like 1

The Regal theaters in the area have yet to put up any showtimes for either film. So as of right now Logan Lucky isn't even in any of the good theaters around here. THB still has the one AMC in the area that has reserved seating. 

Its strange because usual Regal has the showtimes up already for new releases 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

With the way things are going, IT is gonna get half the screens on every theater by the time it opens :lol:

I'm curious if It'll get 3+ screens here. I suppose it depends on how many indies they get.

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Uhhhh wtf Leap apparently releases on Saturday. Everywhere has it for one showing in the morning on Saturday and Sunday.

@CJohn Weinstein has hit new levels of fuckery.

sneak previews??? Is Wind River playing in the same theaters as Leap?  If so, grosses might merge into Wind River.

Maybe this is some kind of deal where the theaters can get Wind River next week as long as they shove Leap in for two days. No theater is going to give it a big auditorium and maybe even full showtimes next week when it flops badly this weekend, and that's if it even gets a release next weekend. My theater has it in their third smallest auditorium.

Edited by WrathOfHan

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Uhhhh wtf Leap apparently releases on Saturday. Everywhere has it for one showing in the morning on Saturday and Sunday.

@CJohn Weinstein has hit new levels of fuckery.

Probably some sort of previews to spread good WOM into the OW.

Just now, CJohn said:

Probably some sort of previews to spread good WOM into the OW.

I don't even know if this is a preview because it's going on for two days. Normally that stuff is only for one day. What the fuck is Harvey doing?

migrane_always_sunny.gif

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I don't even know if this is a preview because it's going on for two days. Normally that stuff is only for one day. What the fuck is Harvey doing?

migrane_always_sunny.gif

Nobody knows. He has no money to promote movies so he needs to have 2 days previews to spread WOM. :lol: Is Tulip Fever still coming out as well? :rofl: 

How will he fuck up Wind River? :thinking:

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Also @CJohn Disney Springs is giving Logan Lucky their biggest auditorium. It's not just my theater :lol: 

Did we miss a piece of tracking that implied Logan's Lucky was gonna break out :lol: ? Are they trusting the Tomato Law for this one?

• Like 2

Just now, CJohn said:

Nobody knows. He has no money to promote movies so he needs to have 2 days previews to spread WOM. :lol: Is Tulip Fever still coming out as well? :rofl: 

How will he fuck up Wind River? :thinking:

Did we miss a piece of tracking that implied Logan's Lucky was gonna break out :lol: ? Are they trusting the Tomato Law for this one?

I think Tulip Fever got canned :lol: It's going to end up on Lifetime like Grace of Monaco probably

Wind River will get fucked with by not expanding much next weekend and Labor Day

Steven Soderbergh. His power.