grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

29 minutes ago, Nova said:

It's a running joke that Weinstein pays to get his movies awards. 

Gervasi made a joke about it last time he hosted and the camera panned to Harvey. 

But i dont really pay attention to his films all that much so I couldn't tell ya lol 

I know about the jokes and he still make Golden Globes party, but studio's caught up to him and it has been a while they have been struggling at winning awards over them.

I haven't seen studios just give up like this in quite some time. It is amazing just how dead August is. August was never a major box office month, but this year seems especially awful due to the lack of literally anything, studios just tapped out post the Dunkirk-Girls Trip weekend.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I haven't seen studios just give up like this in quite some time. It is amazing just how dead August is. August was never a major box office month, but this year seems especially awful due to the lack of literally anything, studios just tapped out post the Dunkirk-Girls Trip weekend.

Maybe they got their months mixed up and having down time now and in September, the box office would come back to life thanks to IT, Kingsman, mother! and Ninjago. 

Given the success we've had in August in the last few years, it was a surprise that no one took advantage but I think next year is an improvement and I suspect 2019 will probably have at least one tentpole

August is dead but let's not forget the first half the year, was one of the better ones we've had. March was jam packed. There's only so many films a studio releases in a given calendar year. And a lot of them were just released early on in the year as opposed to being spread out during the summer 

And to be fair to the studios, the only thing missing from this August was that one blockbuster film like GOTG or Suicide Squad. 

Annabelle opened to $35M, Dark Tower did $19M and THB is looking at a high teens debut if it sticks with tracking. If we had gotten the typical blockbuster then I think it would have evened things out. But again that money went to the beginning of the year which is usually slower than normal. 

But overall this summer has been slow. Apart from WW, SMH, GT and BD, it's been a disappointing summer season imo 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nova said:

August is dead but let's not forget the first half the year, was one of the better ones we've had. March was jam packed. There's only so many films a studio releases in a given calendar year. And a lot of them were just released early on in the year as opposed to being spread out during the summer 

And to be fair to the studios, the only thing missing from this August was that one blockbuster film like GOTG or Suicide Squad. 

Annabelle opened to $35M, Dark Tower did $19M and THB is looking at a high teens debut if it sticks with tracking. If we had gotten the typical blockbuster then I think it would have evened things out. But again that money went to the beginning of the year which is usually slower than normal. 

But overall this summer has been slow. Apart from WW, SMH, GT and BD, it's been a disappointing summer season imo 

Summer has been bad for sure but the first 4 months were strong and Fall/Winter should be good as well. I'd imagine Sept, Oct, Nov, and Dec all have a good shot at beating last year

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Summer has been bad for sure but the first 4 months were strong and Fall/Winter should be good as well. I'd imagine Sept, Oct, Nov, and Dec all have a good shot at beating last year

The issue with summer is that the returns for movies were less "What a big profit" and more "Well, based on the budget and OS take, it won't lose money". We needed more breakout runs. Just felt 

gallery-1482261622-emoji1.jpg

There needed to be another big run to complement WW's run through June, that entire black hole of a month hurt summer. And July is also down on last year.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Yup. Summer is dead because studios have moved to the other months of the year and have found great success there. 

Also apart from a few films here and there the movies haven't exactly been good. 

38 minutes ago, Nova said:

Hollywood kinda needed this lesson in tough love tbh.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Yep. I still can't believe that not one studio decided to put SOMETHING on Labour Day weekend. 

To my knowledge, in recent times at least, the only weekends to have absolutely no new releases are American Thanksgiving weekend (only because the new releases premiere on Wednesday) and sometimes the first weekend of January, especially if the first Friday is really early (ie. In 2016 the first Friday was literally January 1, New Year's Day, and there were zero new releases).

9 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Starting to see some buzz for Hitmans bodyguard on social media.  Those posting about it from pre-screenings are mostly raving. This one may do alright after all and is definitely picking up on fandango meter

It's tracking for a $18-20M weekend. I don't know how well that's gonna hold up but if it does and the movie gets the type of WOM I think it will, I can see it doing $20M+. 

Of course thats if the tracking figures are on point lol 

But given its $30M budget, anything over $18M+ would be a win, imo 

So, it took this long for any of the 3 theaters I track to set their Friday schedule...

1st local is up...they've pretty much cleared everything out!  They are giving Hitman's Bodyguard and Logan Lucky a screen (but HB gets a big screen and LL gets a small one), and this is the rest...

Annabelle 1 screen

Glass Castle 1 screen

Nut Job 1 screen (keeps a full small screen)

Dark Tower 1 screen

Dunkirk 1 screen

Girls' Trip 1 screen

Spidey 1 screen (won the battle with Apes to keep the full - both had fulls last week)

Apes 1/2 screen

Indies 2 1/2 screens (4 of them total) 

2nd local is up - they have not cleared and have brought back WW to full screen.  Nut Job has also taken a hit here, down to 3 showings/day.  Here's their lineup (no indies here)...

LL - 1 screen

HB - 1 screen

Annabelle - 1 screen

Glass Castle - 1 screen

Dark Tower - 1 screen

Atomic Blonde - 1 screen

Dunkirk - 1 screen

Girls Trip - 1 screen

Spidey - 1 screen

WW - back to 1 full screen

Nut Job - 1/2 screen

Emoji - 1/2 screen

Kidnap - 1 showing

Detroit - 1 showing

Edited by TwoMisfits

7 hours ago, Nova said:

It's tracking for a $18-20M weekend. I don't know how well that's gonna hold up but if it does and the movie gets the type of WOM I think it will, I can see it doing $20M+. 

Of course thats if the tracking figures are on point lol 

But given its $30M budget, anything over $18M+ would be a win, imo 

It is about 20% of Fandango sales now on box office meter..huge jump this am.  Think it may do better than tracking for sure...