grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Remember that till last week Thor was running 40% ahead of SMH in presales count which would have meant an opening of 164 million. But SMH had crazy sales on Wed/Thu before opening to the point that its final presales ended higher than Thor and Thor is expected to open only 3% above it. 

So SMH is probably not the best comparision here. Guardians maybe the best comparision with Thor a second

I didn’t track GV2 because I started tracking at my theater with Baywatch and I don’t have one with Thor at the same point in time.

lmao, Roman Israel hasn't even had 300 ad airings when it's going wide in two weeks :rofl: This is going to be a test to how much Denzel can bring in without any marketing, because outside of trailer attachments, Sony ain't doing shit to market this.

45 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Pulse:

1. Thor

2. Bad Moms

3. Thor 3D

4. Star Wars

5. Justice League

5 minutes of watching:

15 Fifty Shades Freed (why da fuq are tickets on sale 3 months in advance? :hahaha:

8 Coco

6 Orient Express

4 Wonder

2 Daddy's Home

Final trailer was released today together with the amazing and legendary tagline and new poster.

35 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

lmao, Roman Israel hasn't even had 300 ad airings when it's going wide in two weeks :rofl: This is going to be a test to how much Denzel can bring in without any marketing, because outside of trailer attachments, Sony ain't doing shit to market this.

I saw the trailer before both Thor and Bad Moms over the weekend (as well as Thank You for Service and Only the Brave recently). I think the ad push will start to ramp up now.

54 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It is probably smarted to just ramp up the marketing on the week of release. No need to start a big push earlier than that for this kind of movie.

Oh shit, Coco only has one screen slotted at my theater right now with a 2D/3D split. I'm assuming that'll change closer to release, but they must be planning on getting quite a few expansions to automatically do a format split like that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Oh shit, Coco only has one screen slotted at my theater right now with a 2D/3D split. I'm assuming that'll change closer to release, but they must be planning on getting quite a few expansions to automatically do a format split like that.

They may be watching presales - every theater around me, including the malls, are only doing a split 2d/3d for presales right now...if they are stagnant, maybe the movie gets stuck with one screen at many places...time will tell...

• Like 1

Darkest Hour is opening in China on December 1. It would be pretty weird for it to open there while still being in limited domestically, so I'm guessing it goes wide here too, especially considering nothing else is coming out wide on that date.

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Darkest Hour is opening in China on December 1. It would be pretty weird for it to open there while still being in limited domestically, so I'm guessing it goes wide here too, especially considering nothing else is coming out wide on that date.

I have seen the trailer for that before every other movie I've seen since summer. Think Focus is gonna be quick to expand it, should be faily wide ala Victoria & Abdul by its third weekend.

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Two notes from North Shore Cinema:

Coco seems to be getting a 2D/3D Split for OD however that should change in a week or two.

The Star seems to not have 3D showings

There isn't much room for 3D in an 18M budget :lol: 

Pulse:

1. Thor

2. Bad Moms

3. Thor 3D

4. Star Wars

5. Justice League

5 minutes of watching:

27 Fifty Shades (Fandango added the new poster and I'm fucking dead at the tagline :rofl: )

20 Orient Express

8 Daddy's Home

3 Wonder

2 Coco

2 The Star

Orient Express and Daddy's Home have picked up the pace nicely since this morning. DH was a third of OE this morning, and that gap closed slightly tonight.

Edited by WrathOfHan