grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

So happy for later this week when Pika sales are underwhelming and I have hard data to respond to the hideously overdone Pika jokes with.

Yeah and look how well that worked out for all the people laughing at Fallen Kingdom's anemic early pre-sales. ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I only complain about the stale Pika jokes once a week or so. They get made dozens of times a day. Pretty big difference.

But what good is spamming it going to do? Really, if anything it makes look you sort of butthurt.

I am not suspecting presales to be gigantic but let the stans be if they annoy.

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

But what good is spamming it going to do? Really, if anything it makes look you sort of butthurt.

Spamming the forum everywhere with the same exact joke on a daily basis and then calling someone “butthurt” over a slight complaint against it is kind of pathetic. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yeah and look how well that worked out for all the people laughing at Fallen Kingdom's anemic early pre-sales. ;)

Even applying FK’s presales ratios to DP will produce a figure I’ll happily point to. I don’t want it to do bad, just some actual numbers to replace the constant “500M OD” nonsense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Spamming complaints won’t do anything. I’m not under any illusion otherwise, just venting a bit. And, most importantly, I’m not spamming complaints about Pika jokes. On the other hand, Pika jokes actually are spammed, and it brings down the level of discussion in practically any thread tangentially related to it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Spamming the forum everywhere with the same exact joke on a daily basis and then calling someone “butthurt” over a slight complaint against it is kind of pathetic. 

To be fair, I stopped making the jokes a while ago. But as we seen both tackling it only make it worse and brings out more toxicity from both sides, causing threads to be undesirable.

It is sort of like the same thing with the DC fanboys and their weird obsession with Poppins after it underperformed.

• Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

As an off the cuff thought with no data whatsoever, kinda think JW:FK might be my best comp I currently have for Pika Pika.

JW2 started off pretty bad when compared to other blockbusters. We can look back on it now and see what happened, but it was a legit open question why something that did 200m OW just a couple of years previously had such weak sales at the beginning.  At least in my mind.

The "it's more skewed toward walkups so of course it had slower pre-sales" versus "it's a franchise film that just came off a 200m OW" debate wasn't settled at the time.  Like, one would think a movie like that would have had some rush on its first day of sales.  

Nope.

Still kinda surprised by it to this day, tbh. :lol:

===

The above being said, it did have a rather strong mid-run of pre-sales, compared to other movies I've tracked (which isn't many, I will admit).  Not a single day under 59 tickets sold (and this was when I didn't have some of the tracking info I do now).  Before Endgame, only DP2 showed a similar strength in mid-run ticket sales.  And that was even stronger than JW2.

Legit curious to see how Detective Pickahu performs, coz I really do have no idea.  Especially with Endgame sucking up hype in the background.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Spamming complaints won’t do anything. I’m not under any illusion otherwise, just venting a bit. And, most importantly, I’m not spamming complaints about Pika jokes. On the other hand, Pika jokes actually are spammed, and it brings down the level of discussion in practically any thread tangentially related to it.

7 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

I do easily get the frustration, admit it can get annoying and hard for discussion, and PikaPika is the most hyped I have been for a blockbuster since Black Panther. 

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I mean JW:FK's OW was pretty underwhelming. :ph34r: But in all seriousness while the Detective Pikachu jokes have gotten stale imo they're harmless.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Even applying FK’s presales ratios to DP will produce a figure I’ll happily point to. I don’t want it to do bad, just some actual numbers to replace the constant “500M OD” nonsense.

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

The virtues of mostly avoiding the Weekend Threads as well as not reading any of the Pikachu threads does have its advantages. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

To be fair, I stopped making the jokes a while ago. But as we seen both tackling it only make it worse and brings out more toxicity from both sides, causing threads to be undesirable.

It is sort of like the same thing with the DC fanboys and their weird obsession with Poppins after it underperformed.

I atleast see the reasoning behind DC fans attacking Poppins. A lot of people were thinking Poppins would sink aquabro and gloated about it. The detective Pikachu stuff makes absolutely no sense. And at this point it looks like it might suffer from the same issues that Shazam suffered from with all the pop culture talk being absorbed by GOT and endgame. 

And thats another thing I’ve noticed. Why is there no talk about GOT hurting DP while there’s is constant talk about GOT hurting Endgame. 

At this point it seems like the people spamming pikachu  jokes are doing it to annoy everyone that is excited about the number Endgame is going to do.

i remember getting called a troll for brining up a simple drop in attention DP was getting. The entire mob in the thread got onto me for absolutely no reason. I’m excited for the movie but this stuff is just insanely frustrating.  

Edited by HouseOfTheSun
  • Like 3

Just now, Mulder said:

I mean JW:FK's OW was pretty underwhelming. :ph34r: But in all seriousness while the Detective Pikachu jokes have gotten stale imo they're harmless.

Early pre-sales (and industry projections) were pointing to a 120 OW.  This thread was debating whether or not it would open lower than that.

If you had told me early in tracking that JW2 would take in 15m+ on Thursday night...

Well I would have believed it, actually.  But it would cement the meme of the Jurassic Park franchise being the King of the Walkups in my mind. 

Or rather, cemented in my mind earlier than it did. :lol:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

I atleast see the reasoning behind DC fans attacking Poppins. A lot of people were thinking Poppins would sink aquabro and gloated about it. The detective Pikachu stuff makes absolutely no sense. And at this point it looks like it might suffer from the same issues that Shazam suffered from with all the pop culture talk being absorbed by GOT and endgame. 

And thats another thing I’ve noticed. Why is there no talk about GOT hurting DP while there’s is constant talk about GOT hurting Endgame. 

At this point it seems like the people spamming pikachu  jokes are doing it to annoy everyone that is excited about the number Endgame is going to do. 

I feel the GOT will have an effect but not much of an effect as Pikachu is family PG movie and GOT is at 9PM on Sunday which don’t give good weeknights anyway.  I don’t think it’ll effect Endgame either.

But seriously enough talk about PikaPika, presales aren’t until tomorrow anyway and we are sort of taking up space.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 2

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I feel the GOT will have an effect but not much of an effect as Pikachu is family PG movie and GOT is at 9PM on Sunday which don’t give good weeknights anyway. 

But seriously enough talk about PikaPika, presales aren’t until tomorrow anyway and we are sort of taking up space.

Yes I’m fine to move on haha

Just now, Porthos said:

Early pre-sales (and industry projections) were pointing to a 120 OW.  This thread was debating whether or not it would open lower than that.

If you had told me early in tracking that JW2 would take in 15m+ on Thursday night...

Well I would have believed it, actually.  But it would cement the meme of the Jurassic Park franchise being the King of the Walkups in my mind. 

Or rather, cemented in my mind earlier than it did. :lol:

This is a good reminder actually for Godzilla: King of The Monsters' pre-sales in that it seems like monster movies are more walk-up heavy then anything.

• Like 1

Just now, Mulder said:

This is a good reminder actually for Godzilla: King of The Monsters' pre-sales in that it seems like monster movies are more walk-up heavy then anything.

I personally would be more cautious than with the JW franchise in this case. Godzilla does have a small, but very rabbid fanbase, that will surely get their tickets on Day 1. So i do expect a rush when they start selling, but a heavy slowdown after that until OW.

• Like 1

Okay, venting over, that’s enough Pika discussion from me until we get some actual numbers (which I am looking forward to, and hope are solid).      

On the front of movies that we have actual numbers for at the moment, Endgame is down to 24.9 vs Shazam’s 20.6 on Mt thanks to discount Tuesday. Shazam will likely pass it in 3 hours and end a couple % ahead for the day.     

On Fandango 24 rolling Endgame is at 28.5k and has been falling the last few hours. Think it might end around 25k, which would be a better hold than I expected.     

Are we expecting an update to official tracking this week? Would be Thurs, right?

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Hey people, lets calm down, They're just stupid jokes? Anyone with a sane mind knows that Pikachu will sell well, but not anywhere near as well as frigging Endgame.

Besides apart from like maybe one or two people, it isn’t bringing in true toxicity like the CBMs and Star Wars have.

BTW got my Endgame ticket about a week ago and the Saturday 7:00 in UltraScreen is nearly (85% full) sold out.