kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 36.2 M ALIEN: COVENANT | 34.7 M GOTG II | 11.7 M EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING

Just now, marveldcfox said:

ANyone who says Valerian looks generic as hell clearly doesn't know jack shit. What are Marvel and the star wars movies then? I love them but they are definition of generic. tried and tested formula. 

Yeah. I really think it's the marketing's fault, it doesn't seem to be selling it as anything different, but I'll say if you look closely, it really doesn't look generic.

Spoiler

Honestly Blade Runner looks more generic. :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Fox should have made Blomks Alien 3, would have actually been a huge hit I think

Would have loved to watch a Blomkamp-Weaver Alien 5.

3 hours ago, babz06 said:

Really? I don't think that's the reason. Both Split and Get out will outgross Alien:Covenant. The franchise was never an "event" movie, it never broke out from its core fan base.

That's possible.   I'm a huge Alien fan and the stuff in the movie I liked most was the "boring" stuff having to do with lore, backstory, etc.   The crowd pleasing things like the body count and jump scares was actually irritating me.   I've seen that already in so many Alien movies that it was boring me.

But there is no way they will make an Alien movie without the cliche "horror" stuff.   I think the franchise is above that cheap stuff myself, but studios aren't going to allow a "boring" Alien movie that would please the core fan base to be made.    They need the teen business and they are going to want blood, gore, and "terror".

• Like 1

Any Non-CBM/Non-Animation sure to cross 200 this summer?

CBM/Animations guarantees:

GOTG2 (done), DM3, HOMECOMING, WW

CBM/Animations potentials:

CARS3

Non-CBM/Non-Animations guarantees:

none imo.

Non-CBM/Non-Animations potentials:

APES, POTC, MUMMY, DUNKIRK, TF

I have been liberal when considering movies as potentially capable of hitting 200.

Edited by a2knet

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

I think these are realistic predictions for the superhero films this year

Wonder Woman - 85m opening weekend/225m finish. 575m worldwide

Spider-Man - 105m opening weekend/275m finish. 845m worldwide

Thor - 95m opening weekend/ 245m finish. 795m worldwide

Justice League -170m opening weekend/350m finish (think Thanksgiving will give it better legs than BvS) 930m worldwide

So you're assuming JL has terrible WOM again.  I don't that's going to happen this time.  

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

So you're assuming JL has terrible WOM again.  I don't that's going to happen this time.  

Maybe, but it has been awhile since Snyder has made a "good" movie. 5th times the charm?

• Like 1

Just now, Orestes said:

Maybe, but it has been awhile since Snyder has made a "good" movie. 5th times the charm?

Watchmen imo was pretty darn good.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Orestes said:

Good point.  

I don't think any of his movies have good multipliers.  With the exception of 300 of course.

• Like 1

In today's edition of "you need to be looking at the YT trailer views" by WrathOfHan:

Wonder Woman Trailer 4 from about two weeks ago: 3.5M

The Mummy Trailer 3 from two days ago: 2.5M 

Planet of the Apes Trailer 3 from four days ago: 2.3M

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

I think these are realistic predictions for the superhero films this year

Wonder Woman - 85m opening weekend/225m finish. 575m worldwide

Spider-Man - 105m opening weekend/275m finish. 845m worldwide

Thor - 95m opening weekend/ 245m finish. 795m worldwide

Justice League -170m opening weekend/350m finish (think Thanksgiving will give it better legs than BvS) 930m worldwide

Wonder Woman - 125m / 330m DOM

750m WW

Spider-Man - 95m / 240m DOM

850m WW

Thor - 105m / 262.5m DOM

800m WW

Justice League - 140m / 300m DOM

800m WW

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

You are so very, very wrong about that unless the reviews are terrible.  

well it could make 100m, but it is not locked. No stars and the Dunkirk evacuation isn't exactly an extremely well known event. I can see this being like War Horse even where it does OK in most places but really good in the UK

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Wonder Woman - 125m / 330m DOM

750m WW

Spider-Man - 95m / 240m DOM

850m WW

Thor - 105m / 262.5m DOM

800m WW

Justice League - 140m / 300m DOM

800m WW

no reason for Wonder Woman to do really huge overseas numbers. A little over 300m seems realistic 

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

Theres not much to go on for JL, quality is quite hard to predict.  But all of Snyder's movies have notoriously bad legs, so it's a safe bet to assume JL won't have good legs (especially considering any late legs will die with Star Wars)

Im being a bit bold, but I think Wonder Woman outgrosses JL Domestically.

• Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

no reason for Wonder Woman to do really huge overseas numbers. A little over 300m seems realistic 

Im thinking in lines with other origin movies lately OS, and the 700m range (especially if it does well DOM) is achievable.

Assuming Guardians does $34m this weekend for a ~48% drop:

Avengers

2 -50.3%

3 -46%

4 -34.1%

IM3

2 -58.4%

3 -50.7%

4 -46%

TASM2

2 -61.2%

3 -52.7%

4 -53.4%

AoU

2 -59.4%

3 -50%

4 -44.2%

CW

2 -59.5%

3 -54.7%

4 -53.3%

GotG2

2 -55.5%

3 -48%

It's playing closer to the first Avengers than it is any other of these, which seems to indicate a pretty decent Memorial Day drop. Not saying it will do -35% or anything, but a 40% drop and $20m+ over the 3-day is definitely possible.

• Like 4