What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

19 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Depending on scheduling, we can have 4-5 female superhero movies in 2019:

Captain Marvel 

Silver and Black

Batgirl

Wonder Woman 2

Gotham City Sirens

And all are being directed by female directors? Even if these all happen in the duration of three years it woild be great.

Cbm are going in great direction with diversity on both front and back of camera. Hope the stories get more diversified too.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Wjat's up with x-men franchisee having such a low ceiling. 230 in this cbm golden age is so low.

Worldwide Logan, Deadpool and DOFP all crossed 700 m.

Nothing to sneeze at.

But quality plays a major factor.

Edited by grey ghost

17 minutes ago, PRESIDENT BKB said:

Yeah that sucks, but I still have my 345-350M Domestic prediction though.. We'll see.. ;)

Wait...you, BKB, are predicting Wonder Woman  to gross 345-350 in the US? That's quite surprising all things considered.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The franchise is just too old at this point to find many new fans.

And let's not forget that both X2 and X3 adjust to over 300. Also the original X-Men was probably the one that enabled the first golden age of superhero films: it made a mocked genre legit again, and opened it up to characters that weren't Supes or Bats. Sure, it was Spidey the one that later blew up the BO, but X-Men opened the door.

I think, like you, that the franchise is just too long on the tooth. Maybe DP can reinvigorate it, but the main problem -imho- is that the mutant shtick is a bit played out after so many films. Apocalypse was so bereft of ideas. They need to find a new hook that doesn't rely on the tired Xavier-Magneto relationship or the "mutants as a minority" metaphor.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Celedhring said:

And let's not forget that both X2 and X3 adjust to over 300. Also the original X-Men was probably the one that enabled the first golden age of superhero films: it made a mocked genre legit again, and opened it up to characters that weren't Supes or Bats. Sure, it was Spidey the one that later blew up the BO, but X-Men opened the door.

I think, like you, that the franchise is just too long on the tooth. Maybe DP can reinvigorate it, but the main problem -imho- is that the mutant shtick is a bit played out after so many films. Apocalypse was so bereft of ideas. They need to find a new hook that doesn't rely on the tired Xavier-Magneto relationship or the "mutants as a minority" metaphor.  

What do you think the prospects of The New Mutants are? Is there any chance that it might reinvigorate the X-Men franchise?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Worldwide Logan, Deadpool and DOFP all crossed 700 m.

Nothing to sneeze at.

But quality plays a major factor.

I was talking about domestic. DP is an outlier. And dofp doing that much is impressive for a x men film but comparing to other superheroes it seems low. I think the freshness in each sequel that interconnected franchises get is missing from x men. If new mutants is successful they should use them and dp more in main films.

Also they should do something with f4.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

What do you think the prospects of The New Mutants are? Is there any chance that it might reinvigorate the X-Men franchise?

I can really seeing this being the next YA franchise. $85M/$255M.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Exactly. 

Im failing to see why Thor would open to $100M+ which is what I've seen a lot of folks on here predict. Same thing goes for Black Panther. Wonder Woman got glowing reviews and is more iconic and yet it's barely going to scrape by $100M. 

I think both are going to do really well obviously but I'm not seeing these huge numbers. 

But I feel like we are so accustomed to seeing $100M openers now a days, that folks think it's easy but to be honest it's not easy at all. And then when you've got the folks who think $130M-140M is the range for everyone of those films, when in reality it takes an out of this world marketing effort to reach that level. 

This is what's leading to the over predictions of some films.

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Exactly. 

Im failing to see why Thor would open to $100M+ which is what I've seen a lot of folks on here predict. Same thing goes for Black Panther. Wonder Woman got glowing reviews and is more iconic and yet it's barely going to scrape by $100M. 

I think both are going to do really well obviously but I'm not seeing these huge numbers. 

But I feel like we are so accustomed to seeing $100M openers now a days, that folks think it's easy but to be honest it's not easy at all. And then when you've got the folks who think $130M-140M is the range for everyone of those films, when in reality it takes an out of this world marketing effort to reach that level. 

Hopefully this statement helps you see the reasoning behind my lower expectations for Dceu films rather than hope they exceed their previous carnations.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I know it's cheap, but I think they missed a trick by not making this Deadpool's team movie (AFAIK he's not involved). I think the film risks getting lost in the shuffle without a big hook to make the GA notice.

But I think moving in a new direction, developing new characters, is a good idea in itself.

Edited by Celedhring

7 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

This is what's leading to the over predictions of some films.

Hopefully this statement helps you see the reasoning behind my lower expectations for Dceu films rather than hope they exceed their previous carnations.

What are you predicting for JL? And future CBMs out of curiosity?

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Black Panther is the kind of movie people have wanted for years. Between the historic implications and the fact that it's an established part of the MCU but a fresh and exciting take, I think it does 100+. If Deadpool, also a "F-List Superhero" could do it on that date, so could this. Plus, Ryan Coogler is the best director for one of these since Nolan and it has the best cast for any superhero film ever. That's a thing.

Also, I just don't think that the F-List superhero thing even matters. Either you're a comic book fan and you know about all these characters anyway, or you're a casual fan and so until 2008 the only superheroes who weren't F-List were Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, WW, Wolverine, and the Hulk. It comes down to a combination of general fresh appeal+die-hard concentration, which is how Deadpool did more than Man of Steel on OW, despite one being a guy no one outside of comic fans has ever heard of and the other being maybe the most recognizable American pop culture figure literally ever. 

Agreed. I'm African-American and I've been awaiting for a big budget predominantly black cast. It's never happened before. That is something that could help the movie break out big with the GA in the US.

I think Coming to America is still the highest grossing movie with an all black cast (others say the movie is Waiting to Exhale since the director is black). These are movies that are over 20 years old, so it really stands out as a movie (not just for comic book movies).

The key is how Marvel decides to market the movie. Hopefully it is unique.

Of course, the movie also has to deliver.

Edited by ProtoMan
  • Like 5

55 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Really hope Gotham City Sirens gets fast tracked after these numbers.

and also that they fire the planned writer and director of the project lol. 

I need to see DCEU Catwoman and Ivy. 

So, you want it to be fast tracked, but fire the writer and director? Not sure if that's any better of a recipe.

Also, Ayer isn't writing it, only directing. Someone else is.

Edited by TheMovieman

22 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Superman the Movie and Batman (89) showed us the door.

Blade cracked it open.

X-men widened it.

Spider-man kicked it wide open.

TDK and The Avengers drove a freight train through it.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Superman the Movie and Batman (89) showed us the door.

Blade cracked it open.

X-men widened it.

Spider-man kicked it wide open.

TDK and The Avengers drove a freight train through it.

Fant4stic spit on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheMovieman said:

So, you want it to be fast tracked, but fire the writer and director? Not sure if that's any better of a recipe.

Yeh, new writer and new director quickly. 

Cant stand David Ayer and the writer wrote Unforgettable (!) 

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh, new writer and new director quickly. 

Cant stand David Ayer and the writer wrote Unforgettable (!) 

When it comes to writers, who knows how much of it they're responsible for. Just look at Wonder Woman. Apparently Jenkins had a hand in writing it, but due to WGA guidelines, she did not receive credit. Jason Fuchs did.

Edited by TheMovieman