Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

47 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

This piece of shit didn't appeal to woman over 25 (usually, the demo that gives the strongest legs), Wonder Woman is appealing to a completely new kind of demo to SH movies, and I don't think it will follow the same pattern of previous movies. 

It's following the same pattern as the typical well received SH movie thus far :thinking:

5 minutes ago, Blankments said:

I mean it's ultimately a good number but damn it's disappointing considering expectations. Was hoping for at least 103m because 100m on the dot looks like a fudge

Have a feeling the actual will be closer to $103M than $100M. Expectations were unrealistic. Just as they were when many expected Guardians Vol. 2 to open north of $160M. Legs should be good enough to get it close to or over $300M DOM.

On another note, this makes me even more confident that Spidey will break out in a month. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

That "piece of shit" is gonna end up with the higher gross than WW. So guess this is bigger???

I laugh at the people expecting this to buck trends and precedents and do something completely new when it has given no indication whatsoever so far of doing that. It has had normal drops and multi's so far comparable to other well received SH movies like logan, DS and gotg2. 

As to the poster above the "piece of shit" had far better saturday drop than this. And WW looks set to follow DS's OD to OW multi which i had earlier posted

Doctor Strange - 2.61 - 101.3 OW

I think it will follow DS's legs (~2.75) and do 280 +/- 10m Dom and 380m OS for 650m WW compared to 680 for DS. 

The OS number maybe a bit generous, but otherwise I completely agree with you. And 600m+ WW for a Wonder Woman movie is excellent in my book.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Have a feeling the actual will be closer to $103M than $100M. Expectations were unrealistic. Just as they were when many expected Guardians Vol. 2 to open north of $160M. Legs should be good enough to get it close to or over $300M DOM.

On another note, this makes me even more confident that Spidey will break out in a month. 

Yeah difference is I saw guardians #s coming :P

And it makes me feel the opposite; clear you need to have a unique angle for these to break out and Spidey still lacks one 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

So much for underestimating DWA. Opening against a huge tent pole was a mistake. 

Really underestimated WW family appeal, was thinking after Strange and Trolls, Underpants would've at least done $30M OW, thankfully if it does TLV/Storks numbers WW it'll make a nice profit.

• Like 2

Just now, YourMother said:

Really underestimated WW family appeal, was thinking after Strange and Trolls, Underpants would've at least done $30M OW, thankfully if it does TLV/Storks numbers WW it'll make a nice profit.

Don't you mean 40M? :redcapes: 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Blankments said:

I guess I more mean in comparison than anything

a Wonder Woman movie should be blowing the 8th Fast and Furious movie out of the water but imo WB didn't give it the same marketing team as their other DC films while also it having to deal with their negative receptions anyway

Legs should be great at least, it's got a month to itself ahead of it 

Marketing and social media awareness were pretty outstanding entering the OW. Don't forget that every other DCEU movie had Superman(MoS/BvS), Batman(BvS/SS), Joker(SS) and all of them are much bigger brands, at least at the moment, than Wonder Woman.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Why would a superhero movie drop less than 50%? 

Logan, original GOTG, Deadpool dropped high 50's. Even Dark Knight dropped 50%. 

I swear some people seem determined to have really unrealistic expectations for this film for some weird reason. 

It'll probably drop over 50% but I don't think it'll do high 50%s. It's also showing an indication of holding better than GOTG (nearly identical Fridays, WW projected to do slightly better OW) and it also shows signs of backloading (LOGAN and the whole X-series have always been pretty frontloaded). TDK had a huge fan rush to see it -- weren't its midnights a record or near-record?

• Like 5

This is gonna have better legs than other SHMs due to the new audiences, but won't hit 3.0x. I think 2.7x is the ceiling.

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

O/U $100M OW for SMH.

Under.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

The OS number maybe a bit generous, but otherwise I completely agree with you. And 600m+ WW for a Wonder Woman movie is excellent in my book.

To be completely honest i find predicting OS grosses tougher than DOM. Predicting DOM is easier as data is easily available and it is a single market with set trends. OS on the other is wildly different and data is sparse to do trend analysis. 

That being said that 380m OS prediction is the SH fanboy prediction of mine as I want it to do closer to MoS and DS. A 600 ww total will be closer to ant-man. Wonder woman is far more known and iconic than antman and has had better critical reception than that so i will be disappointed if it ends up close to that than DS. 

• Like 1