YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

Just now, Alli said:

the mummy is an awful movie according to reviews and audience, but i wonder how the hell did suicide squad manage those high numbers being an equally shitty movie...

CBM people will forgive shit reviews and see regardless, everything else they expect perfection and if they dont get it they try to derail.

• Like 2

Van Helsing had crappy legs, especially for 13 years back : 51.75 ow / 120.2 dom (2.32x).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=vanhelsing.htm

Why doesn't Sommers make more popcorn movies

Date Title (click to view) Studio Lifetime Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Rank
8/7/09 G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra Par. $150,201,498 4,007    $54,713,046    4,007 3
5/7/04 Van Helsing Uni. $120,177,084 3,580 $51,748,040 3,575 4
5/4/01 The Mummy Returns Uni. $202,019,785 3,553 $68,139,035 3,401 1
5/7/99 The Mummy Uni. $155,385,488 3,411 $43,369,635 3,210 2
Edited by a2knet

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Wtf?  It was a hit because it was fucking Tarzan.  Was Deadpool a hit because of its love story, or was it because it's a movie about a foul mouthed anti-hero that cracks jokes as he's killing bad guys?

Eh, to be fair it did help quite a bit with the ladies to have a very nice romantic angle in it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

the mummy is an awful movie according to reviews and audience, but i wonder how the hell did suicide squad manage those high numbers being an equally shitty movie...

The difference on the trailers quality was massive thought, also the high concept/franchise power.

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

Well, for one thing, Suicide Squad opened in August and had basically no competition. Mummy is opening up against one of the best reviewed movies of the year, even if it's in its second weekend. Pair that with a Mummy movie that seemingly people didn't want, and it's a recipe for a turkey (domestically anyway).

Edited by TheMovieman

After its OW, The Witch had a 53% RT audience score (it's currently at 56%). That was the highest ICAN has reached so far, and it's only going down right now. This will not benefit from an empty market like The Witch.

Made this last night.  I was close to estimating the preview #, but I lowered OW to 30.95 in the derby.  I went exactly with 0.6*Wonder Woman.  I should have added Thursday previews to 0.6*WW to get 32.61.  AHHHH!!!!!!!!

Interesting fact:

DRACULA UNTOLD

23% RT score

58% audience score

locations: 2,885

opening weekend: $23,514,615

opening per theater average: $8,151

Thursday previews: 1.3 million

opening weekend minus previews: $22,214,615

opening per theater average minus previews: $7,700

If you take the $7700 true PTA and apply it to the 4,034 locations Mummy is at, you get $31,061,800.

Doubling Dracula's 1.3M previews for Mummy give 2.6M and adding that to the 7700PTA, you get an OW of: $33,661,800

One thing that does not support this comparison (for opening near 35M) is the discouraging reserved seating reports and the pre-sales figures on movietickets and fandango.

and there is also this:

2 N   The Wolfman Uni.       $31,479,235 -          3,222      $9,770       $31,479,235       $150  

Edited by Matrix4You

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Van Helsing was a cinematic Abomination. Not one good performance out of all the actors.

It's your opinion  i respect it :)

But for me i love it . The vfx were good too. The man who played dracula was awsome. I agree sometimes it suffers from some clunky dialogues and so but overall it's good.

• Like 1

I saw Van Helsing in theaters drunk, fell asleep in the first 5 minutes and woke up when it was finished. Tried watching it another 5 times since, but I just fall alseep every time. I think I trained my brain to associate Van Helsing with sleep and thus I have never seen the movie.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

Shit son, the Librarian trilogy is better than the 99 Mummy.

LOL funny you say that. I first watched it because of Rebecca Romijn Stamos, then got hooked on it :D

• Like 2

Oh, some guy was snoring through the second half of The Mummy at my showing. Several people were discussing his snoring :lol: I don't know how the fuck you can snore through a loud movie, but to each their own.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 3

Suicide Squad had the Joker and a perfectly cast first film version of Harley Quinn and anyone wonders why it was so successful? It's obvious why it was a hit. And just be glad that Tom Cruise + The Mummy equals huge overseas numbers. The studio probably will make money off of it. Good luck building the Universe on such shaky foundations though, that's not an easy thing to do as WB can attest to.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Oh, some guy was snoring through the second half of The Mummy at my showing. Several people were discussing his snoring :lol: 

Was this in between the fights?

I'm waiting for you to go peak Florida and admit there was a gator in the theater.

• Like 2