YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

First it was Alien, now it's ICAN. Not my fault the GA is full of casuals who want films that stick to a tied and true formula!

But Alien is the most formulaic movie of year. The problem is that it wasn't able to even recreate something that worked in past.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Allegiant cost way less than Power Rangers and made way more money worldwide, turns out it was a terrible decision to cancel Ascendant as it would certainly increase from the third movie because it was great and left fans excited for the closure of the story.

source.gif

• Like 4

Deadline has the numbers for the specialty releases. Brutal for My Cousin Rachel, decent-ish for Beatriz at Dinner.

11.). My Cousin Rachel (FSL), 523 theaters  / $250K Fri. /3-day cume: $781k / Wk 1

Beatriz at Dinner (RSA), 5 theaters  / $33K Fri. /PTA: $20k/3-day cume: $102k / Wk 1

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nova said:

Wonder Woman is here to show all those who like to argue mercilessly that BvS and SS were well received, how a well received DC movie behaves. 

$300M+ confirmed now and a 3x+ confirmed as well 

I knew many were gonna say this when WW having a 3x is great for the entire Universe.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with WW either out grossing  BVS/SS or having better legs .

38 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

I think the unusually strong hold can be mostly attributed to the fact a lot of people may have avoided Wonder Woman's first weekend after three stinkers from DC in a row. Makes you think how much it could of opened to.

So true.

I never thought a DC film would be this surprisingly good. Look at the first Sat-Sun hold. WOM was doing its job. Weekdays numbers and then strong demands on the 2nd weekends all result from those WOM.

If we knew before OW that WW is gonna be this great, I think its run would be comparable to GOTG2 (which people presumed it would be as good as the first one), more or less.

That would mean $350m is possible. And $400m is the extreme target providing some genius marketing to draw audiences from outside of SH movies fanbase.

50 minutes ago, Nova said:

Wonder Woman is here to show all those who like to argue mercilessly that BvS and SS were well received, how a well received DC movie behaves. 

$300M+ confirmed now and a 3x+ confirmed as well 

Pretty clear the floor for the DCEU is a lot higher than it is for the MCU (at least if we're talking about the big three DC characters).  We would probably have to have a JL film get Avengers-like reception to see how the ceilings compare.

46 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I was considering it because Thursday previews were weak around Orlando but stuck with Yes. Now I'm kind of regretting it.

I went pretty negative this week. No to ICAN>11M and no to Megan>4M

45 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Poor Rachel Weisz. Then again, I saw no marketing for the movie.

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Deadline has the numbers for the specialty releases. Brutal for My Cousin Rachel, decent-ish for Beatriz at Dinner.

11.). My Cousin Rachel (FSL), 523 theaters  / $250K Fri. /3-day cume: $781k / Wk 1

Beatriz at Dinner (RSA), 5 theaters  / $33K Fri. /PTA: $20k/3-day cume: $102k / Wk 1

Yikes, a lot worse than i expected for MCR.

Very good for Salma, hope she's in the conversation come awards season. Can't wait to watch it.