WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

When can a movie I like be dominating the box office? Blargh.

Still a lot of variable that can affect Cars' OW. lol @ people saying it's a disappointing opening.

30M looks questionable for All Eyez on Me if it's as frontloaded as we think it'll be.

Good for 47 Meters.

LMAO ROUGH NIGHT

Meh hold for The Mummy. Obviously it isn't good, but it's not as bad as I expected.

Excellent holds for GOTG and POTC.

People were nuts to expect CU to drop over 50%. Literally nothing indicated it would do that.

I pulled a 45% drop from the depths of my butt for the derby so I'm not feeling too bad about my prediction.

Edited by aabattery

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

I pulled a 45% drop from the depths of my butt for the derby so I'm not feeling too bad about my prediction.

I had it dropping 35%. I almost considered going lower, but Cars would at least have some impact on it.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I had it dropping 35%. I almost considered going lower, but Cars would at least have some impact on it.

LezAXJV.png

#winners until further estimates screw everything up

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Come November, there are gonna be a lot more "what a time to be alive" moments.  :redcapes:

I too expect Murder on the Orient Express to win the year domestically

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Come November, there are gonna be a lot more "what a time to be alive" moments.  :redcapes:

You mean when The Star outgrosses Coco domestically.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Unless it's Lionsgate @CJohn

Personally I think that Sony is being run by not so smart people and I never trust them to make a good or successful movie but I don't wish for their failure. It's fine when people expect certain studios movies to fail, it's weird when one roots on such a thing. I would love it if Sony got their act together.

1 minute ago, ChiSoxRox said:

Between the movie itself and this run, Wonder Woman is making me thrilled to be alive this month (and I'm typing this in the Frankfurt airport returning from my firstborn European trip).  

high five for not being on suicide watch!

Cars 3's opening isn't bad but it seems obvious that the weak reception to Cars 2 impacted this one. Who knows what staying power will be like with Despicable Me 3 right around the corner.

47 Meters Down beating Rough Night, yikes. Dark comedies will always be tough sells to moviegoers.

5 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Disney bought Pixar in 2006 to squeeze out its money and destroy it

Nope they bought Pixar to help fix WDAS. They wanted Lasseter and Catmull to help them. Pixar did all of their sequels on their own choosing. I mean just because there's a Cars 2, let's not forgot Disney/Pixar bought us Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, Toy Story 3, and Inside Out, (even Dory can be considered) and a handful of good films. Thankfully, Toy Story 4 is their last sequel, and there's five more original films after that.

• Like 1

Phenomenal hold for WW. It's looking at a minimum 380M with potential at 400M+. It's not going to completely collapse with SMH OW in 2 weeks as GOTG2 has shown, 2 SH movies can survive each other. Another tremendous hold for GOTG2, 390M+ looks likely and 400M isn't completely dead yet. It would be insane, if both hit 400M milestone!!!

• Like 10

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Nope they bought Pixar to help fix WDAS. They wanted Lasseter and Catmull to help them. Pixar did all of their sequels on their own choosing. I mean just because there's a Cars 2, let's not forgot Disney/Pixar bought us Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, Toy Story 3, and Inside Out, (even Dory can be considered) and a handful of good films. Thankfully, Toy Story 4 is their last sequel, and there's five more original films after that.

wasn't TS4 originally an original script and then Stanton was like hey we could easily adapt this into a Toy Story movie and boom $$$$$$$$$?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blankments said:

I legitimately haven't seen any footage for The House. No trailers at ANY movie I've seen the past few months, no TV spots on any show (and I've been watching a lot of network stuff since summer began thanks to family), and no ads in front of any YouTube video. Legitimately the only reason I know that film exists is this website, which is insane for me with a Poehler/Ferrell team-up movie. Like where the fuck is the marketing?

On all the comedies no one is watching - I got a preview on Baywatch:).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

wasn't TS4 originally an original script and then Stanton was like hey we could easily adapt this into a Toy Story movie and boom $$$$$$$$$?

Lasseter: “When any other company has a hit it madly starts developing a sequel to capitalise on it. We don’t. We only start developing a sequel when we have an idea that’s good enough.”

Morris: “The sequel thing is always interesting to me. There’s a cynicism about sequels, but audiences love them. And if you ask anyone they’ll usually have a couple of sequels in their top 10 favourite films. The Godfather II, the second Star Wars movie…”

Lasseter: “Steve Jobs always said the way people feel about your brand is like a bank account. You can make deposits or you can make withdrawals. A deposit is when everything that comes out bearing your studio’s name is really great. A withdrawal is putting out something you know isn’t as good as it should be. We refuse to do that.”

Morris: “If you look at it we’re pretty pitiful at exploiting the possibility of sequels. Finding Dory is coming out 10 years after Finding Nemo! [With] Cars 3 we wanted to wait until we had an idea. We’re not conforming so well to the Hollywood sequel model.”

Lasseter: “Myself and the creative leadership of Toy Story – Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter, Lee Unkrich – got together after Toy Story 3 and we made a promise to each other that we would not make another Toy Story unless we came up with an idea that was as good as or better than any of the other three movies and was really different. Andrew and I were talking one day and we came up with a nugget of an idea and thought it could be really cool. Then we started developing it quietly. We didn’t tell anybody. Nobody at Pixar, nobody at Disney, because we didn’t want to get anyone’s hopes up…”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/what-to-watch/pixar-history-good-dinosaur-toy-story/

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1