WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

6 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Feel like Frozen gets wayyyyyy too much hate nowadays. I also know that is was way overexposed as well.

It's really good, imo, but it's crazy that I still see more merchandising for it than I do for new releases.

Edited by elcaballero
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS is worthless tripe that will raise a generation of idiots. :) 

I took a Choral Literature class with my choir prof for funsies and he had a long discussion with us about "Empty sensationalism" being prevelant in music today.  Directors and conductors choosing contemporary pieces that make audiences go "Wow!  This is different!" and then forget about it after they leave because they're devoid of musical depth.

I couldn't help but think the same thing is true with film.  I'll leave something like Guardians of the Galaxy 2 thinking "Wow that was a fun time, cool visual sequences and set pieces!" and then have no interest in ever thinking about it again because it was a theme park ride, and there was nothing in it to challenge audiences.

Throwing a lot of color and one liners on the screen doesn't make a good movie.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

Frozen is fantastic, and the most emotionally powerful work from Disney since Lilo & Stitch.

Lilo & Stitch is grossly underrated. It's definitely a messy film, but it's so endearing and touching. A love letter to everyone who's been an outsider. 

Lilo & Stitch definitely has been appreciated more and more over the years. It's also one of Disney's best merch sellers.

• Community Manager
8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

What about the generation that is mature and liked it? :jeb!: 

I don't really see millennials being too big on Captain Underpants.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Mummified Panda said:

It makes an entertaining movie.  And really, if I go to a movie, I expect for my mind to be engaged, or to have a good time watching it.  If it fails to accomplish either, then it's not a good movie.  The best movies are the ones that do both.

There is nothing wrong with how captain underpants goes about this.  It wants to entertain, and as such, it does so.

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

It makes an entertaining movie.  And really, if I go to a movie, I expect for my mind to be engaged, or to have a good time watching it.  If it fails to accomplish either, then it's not a good movie.  The best movies are the ones that do both.

There is nothing wrong with how captain underpants goes about this.  It wants to entertain, and as such, it does so.

A movie can be entertaining and not actually be a good movie.  And I'm not saying I don't enjoy going to a few of them, but I'm not going to hail the film for being more than it is.  Mindless, cookie cutter spectacle that follows the current trends of the day.

5 minutes ago, The Mummified Panda said:

I took a Choral Literature class with my choir prof for funsies and he had a long discussion with us about "Empty sensationalism" being prevelant in music today.  Directors and conductors choosing contemporary pieces that make audiences go "Wow!  This is different!" and then forget about it after they leave because they're devoid of musical depth.

I couldn't help but think the same thing is true with film.  I'll leave something like Guardians of the Galaxy 2 thinking "Wow that was a fun time, cool visual sequences and set pieces!" and then have no interest in ever thinking about it again because it was a theme park ride, and there was nothing in it to challenge audiences.

Art vs entertainment, eh? It all comes down to what the goal of the film is. If it aims to be an entertaining diversion, and it accomplishes that, then I would call it a good movie. 

9 minutes ago, The Mummified Panda said:

this is the worst marvel movie to use as an example! in the trash w/ this.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, The Mummified Panda said:

I remember the story of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. Do I think about it? Sure. Not every movie needs to challenge audiences. In fact, many successful classics don't really do any challenging at all. What's challenging about freaking Casablanca? :lol:

I'll ignore the whole theme park bit because I'd argue that if a movie trying to give an experience to the movie-goer is a bad thing, then Gravity and The Walk and many other movies which were sold on being cinematic experiences you had to see on theater were shit.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Mummified Panda said:

A movie can be entertaining and not actually be a good movie.  And I'm not saying I don't enjoy going to a few of them, but I'm not going to hail the film for being more than it is.  Mindless, cookie cutter spectacle that follows the current trends of the day.

Oh I'm not denying the first part at all.  Some movies are entertaining in their badness (which tend to be films that, if their same quality had been transported to an unentertaining movie, would be an F rather than a C movie).  Gods of Egypt, King Arthur, Now You See Me, etc.  If a film, however, is genuinely entertaining and not entertaining as a result of its badness (like Captain underpants), then the movie has succeeded in what it's trying to do.  Of course, entertainment value is subjective, but if something sets out to be entertaining and is entertaining to you in all the ways that they intended, then I don't think they should be knocked down for it.

• Community Manager
Just now, KJsooner said:

Best animated movie of the 2010's is Inside Out. Think we all can agree on that one.

I don't know. I'd tie it with Zootopia maybe. But I haven't seen Kubo and apparently that was good somehow. lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Aside from me disagreeing about the entertainment part of it, I... disagree with the rest of it too. :) 

And here's the rest of the hot take you wanted... :lol: 

Spoilerized cuz really, who wants to read a nasty rant about some kid's movie?

There's a colossal emptiness to CU -- not just it, other general media aimed at kids these days. The characters in it aren't kids but aren't adults either, they're a weird amalgamation of the two that feels strange and flat. There is a basic level of "cleverness" there -- aimed at distracting the adults, btw; it flies right over the heads of its main target demo -- but the cleverness is the visual equivalent of dumping bags of Pixy Stix down your throat. Empty calories of nonsense. The thing is astonishingly vapid even taken on its own level. Even though it's not some corporatized product, the sad and deadening thing is that it feels like it regardless, as if a thousand empty suits processed an algorithm that calculated what they felt a generically average 5-7 year-old would want and then made nothing but that whatsoever. And on some basic level for them, sure, it works. Kids are easily distracted by bright visuals and noise and they like poopy jokes as much as they like anything. But it sure doesn't stick, and the thought of such talent and effort being used to literally crank out shit is terribly bleak and dismal.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

this is the worst marvel movie to use as an example! in the trash w/ this.

I liked GOTG2 and it's an upper level Marvel movie for me, I just used it because it's recent and popular.  

Its not going to be a movie people 10-15 years from now really look back on.

• Like 1