WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

4 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

That can be said for a lot of the RT critics too.  Most are writing for blog sites, lesser known sites/publications and they have no actual film making knowledge or literary knowledge, you are basically reading the thoughts and opinions of your friends or family which is fine but the education level is not up to the standard that I've set in my own mind for how I'm going to feel whether their opinions matter or are useful.  But that's me. 

Yeah, if I'm going to take an individual critic seriously it's going to be somebody who can give an informed opinion, so pretty much the Top Critics on RT.  Collectively they tend to have good judgement, but I don't put much stock into some guy's blogs.

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

Here's another issue with RT.  A movie that has 50-60% shouldn't be "rotten".  It doesn't actually make sense.  If the majority of critics are recommending a movie then how could it be "rotten" on the scale?  

I always go back to Man of Steel because it has 55% on RT and people here and elsewhere will say "It was hated by critics".  No, it wasn't.  It was a very divisive film.  It's also a film that has stood the test of time already because 5 years later and people are still engaging in online beefs about it

To me, this doesn't say anything about the movie, it just says a lot about the general insanity of fans. 

I do think RT would be helped by a Yellow setting between Fresh and Rotten. 

• Like 8

I can't believe there's another RT debate. Look it's flawed. It's not perfect. But people will always use something to make a quick and easy decision on if they should see a movie or not. People don't have unlimited time and/or money. Tldr; see what you want to see, don't see what you don't want to see. It's that simple.

• Like 6

Just now, Telemachos said:

To me, this doesn't say anything about the movie, it just says a lot about the general insanity of fans. 

The precedent is there:

202.png

• Like 9

Just now, trifle said:

Because millions more might have seen them based on other factors but for this flawed,over-hyped aggregate site?

Do you really believe that millions more would have seen Baywatch had it gotten better reviews? If it was so beloved by the GP, it would have held better.

Do people really think Baywatch should have gotten like 80% or something on RT? And if so, do you think it would have been way more successful?

Take a film like Passengers. Imo, the film underperformed mostly because the advertising relied too heavily on the two stars and didn't make it clear what the film was really about. Plus, once a lot of people heard the premise, they were kinda turned off. You really can't blame critics or the GP for that. It just is what it is.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, grim22 said:

McWeeny nailed it

37 minutes ago, baumer said:

That's perfect.  

This is why you get people saying they have a guilty pleasure when they like something critics tell them not to.  

Does that really exist ?, people will have guilty pleasure for stuff they are not supposed to like, say a men that like a movie that target teenage girl, but a movie that got bad reviews, usually people are almost proud of it, and scream critics went overboard and I like it without any issue. I have no shame in liking some segment of Movie 43 or loving Spring Breaker, not at all, I cannot imagine one example of that, I'm sure you do not either so I'm not sure why we project that to anyone (to who ?)

Maybe it exist for someone prominent, but even known director will often have movie without good reviews in their top movie list.

It exist a bit more about not liking a movie than the other way around imo.

Has for the original point that was made, it was RT exaggerate a bit success/failure, but turning 5/10 movie into 20-30% score and 7.5/10 movie into 90% score, adding a lot of noise in movie result, I imagine there is truth in that maybe it all average out for studios over year with many title, but for small guy for who every movie can be a bit continue or die, it add a lot of risk.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Yeah, it's apart of the DCEU, a popular ongoing franchise.  Of course it's going to continually be discussed.

We talk about The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones just as much, but just because we discuss and debate them over a decade down the line doesn't mean they're great movies.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I very much agree with this.

So maybe,

61%-100% fresh

41%-60% mixed

00%-40% rotten

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, nomyth said:

Do you really believe that millions more would have seen Baywatch had it gotten better reviews? If it was so beloved by the GP, it would have held better.

Do people really think Baywatch should have gotten like 80% or something on RT? And if so, do you think it would have been way more successful?

Take a film like Passengers. Imo, the film underperformed mostly because the advertising relied too heavily on the two stars and didn't make it clear what the film was really about. Plus, once a lot of people heard the premise, they were kinda turned off. You really can't blame critics or the GP for that. It just is what it is.

Baywatch isn't my particular wheel house, but it doesn't matter, I certainly didn't give RT legitimacy in trashing it or any other movie.  I don't give RT legitimacy period.

But as to Passengers, nice, but the original premise was known to most critics long before the movie was made. It was, after all, a 2008 BlackList script.  The GP defied RT to a large extent, but RT has too much power in this country, as it is used and reported, imho.  Overseas, it did brilliantly.

But honestly, unless flagged, as you did, I won't be in this conversation. I stated my opinion, already.  It is a fact that RT is a joke to me, at this point, however.

Edited by trifle

13 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

I agree with grimm22. People put too much stock in RT, to the point they see it as objective metric of quality of films.

"I love BvS"

"Why? It's a bad film"

"Why it's a bad film"

"It is rotten on rt"

Discussion ends there. There should not be guilty pleasure, if people love it, it's good for them.

As for using it for spending on tickets, I agree with grey ghost. It's too expensive and time consuming to go to movies with family and freinds. RT makes it simple. Not everybody has time to read full reviews.

I've heard no one say that.

In fact, BvS had terrible legs because the first wave of viewers ignored RT and felt ripped off.

Which only solidified RT's credibility.

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

A yellow setting would be great but lately I'm seeing fewer films, blockbusters anyway that fall in the yellow area.  I think more should. Some are underrated, some are very overrated and I don't feel there's a huge gap in quality between a lot of these blockbusters. Most are very formulaic. 

True that fans are insane but look at a CBM like a Fantastic Four or even something like Ang Lee's Hulk or The Incredible Hulk.  Not much debate about those. In general people seem to be okay with Fantastic Four sucking and the two Hulks being very "meh/average"  

With Man of Steel it's a lot of "worst ever"  and "best ever"  hyperbole. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

But then there's screwy people like me who think it's bad but kinda liked it anyway. 

If I like a movie, it's good. If I get into technical or very deep into a film and start analysing it too much, I hate it 90% of the time.

I didn't like that phase of my life where I was hating on almost every movie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Basically everyone is going to above average and universally praised movies.

The free market has spoken, commies.

I'm still not convinced how much reviews effect movies.  There's no way to really statistically test it like you can for tracking numbers, YouTube views, etc.