WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

This is WrathOfHan's Hollywood:

Illumination is not allowed to make films.

All A24 releases will go wide on OW.

Horror will either be good or hilaribad. There is no in between.

No more generic CBMs. Either provide something different from the cookie cutter formula to the table or no film at all.

Ridley Scott gets to complete the Alien prequels.

Star Trek 4 #PrayerCircle :cloud9: 

Lionsgate gets new, competent management. 

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The tiny minority always grab attention for some reason. See Empire City's "mess" review.

Mess in every sense of the word now :lol:

This kind of hive mentality is why criticism is under attack. EC has provided plenty of reasons why he wasn't a fan of WW. You can either acknowledge his points and debate them with him, or you can just go "LOL HE'S IN THE MINORITY SO HE'S WRONG!"

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

If The Last Knight get trashed, then 150m dom will be a struggle.

We ll see.

If it does 150M, I wouldn't blame the reviews. It's tracking for a 70M 5-day already and this is well before everyone sees the reviews/RT score. I think the franchise is just a bit played out now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What you can do is measure how many people somewhat obsessed with film would recommend a certain film.

And depending on how often you agree with critics and how extreme the rating is, that's enough to get a reliable read whether the movie is a waste of time and money.

I suppose you could, but that's part of the failure of RT. Nobody is going to go into that sort of depth to decide on a movie. The vast, vast majority who use RT just look to see if it's tomato or splat followed by the percentage.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

That I'm not sure, chance are an other very similar website will aggregate the score and become the more popular because they have a score sooner.

What many people said to shift RT more into a 3 level of scored notes (copying MC in a sense) and giving 1 to positive, 0.5 to mild, 0 to negative instead of a binary when creating the RT score risk to be what happen, 2 studio being partly the owner of RT could make that transition easier to happen if it is what they want.

The fact that it didn't change even thought it is own by Comcast and Warner could mean that it is overall a positive (otherwise it is a bit strange that they achieved to keep enough independence to hurt their owner), that people buy more tickets if they see the score in a total year, that it just augment the noise or bad it goes when it goes bad and how good it goes when it goes well. A bit like it is better for amazon to have user reviews there.

RT wasn't as all pervasive till recently. The RT score is now everywhere, from Fandango to the AMC website to digital rental sites. It's now actively become the most seen metric for movies and has actually started hurting movies. Disney and Paramount already issued studies to see the impact of RT on advanced ticket sales, other studios probably doing the same. We will see something happen soon for sure. Within the next year we might get the "orange" category introduced or similar.

• Like 1

Just now, The Futurist said:

If The Last Knight get trashed, then 150m dom will be a struggle.

We ll see.

I'm in NYC just now , the Transformers ads at Times Square are non descript.

Valerian has a whole wall/6 ads, like WW did....But obviously that's a bomb. Baby Driver has a huge ad.... so does Rough Night though lol

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

This is WrathOfHan's Hollywood:

Illumination is not allowed to make films.

All A24 releases will go wide on OW.

Horror will either be good or hilaribad. There is no in between.

No more generic CBMs. Either provide something different from the cookie cutter formula to the table or no film at all.

Ridley Scott gets to complete the Alien prequels.

Star Trek 4 #PrayerCircle :cloud9: 

Lionsgate gets new, competent management. 

So no Sing or DM1, despite being good films

Yes

Maybe 

Elaborate

Maybe (Prometheus and Convenant didn't impress me nor did it scare me)

Yes

Yes

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Baywatch simply wasn't as advertised.

I'm sure if you removed the language it'd be PG13.

Where was the sexy? Where was the "hard rated R fun"?

It wasn't there. Plus the film looked so cheap. I bet $20m of that went to The Rock. The beaches looked dull and other times like green screen! 

It looked too much like a Jump Street ripoff, made by people who didn't understand why Jump Street worked.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

This kind of hive mentality is why criticism is under attack. EC has provided plenty of reasons why he wasn't a fan of WW. You can either acknowledge his points and debate them with him, or you can just go "LOL HE'S IN THE MINORITY SO HE'S WRONG!"

Lol I just meant he made us panic. No one should take a single users review as serious or a reflection of overall opinion.

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The genie is out the bottle.

Movie goers will never go back to making uninformed decisions when paying 10-80 bucks to see a flick.

With or without RT, people are going to find a way to only pay full price for above average movies.

And that's the way it should be.

Hollywood can no longer dump sub-par shit on movie goers and laugh all the way to the bank.

More quality control for them, less wasted money for us.

That is not true for franchise/genre movie too, people even buy ticket in advance before anyone have seen those often and will give them chance if they are fans in general (I even know people that have seen the last Fantastic 4 in theater and do not go in theater often, but will see anything that involve superheroes), in a way Hollywood can dumb sub par shit more than ever with how important the first weekend is and franchise/ip recognition, if they pay for the franchise rights and less than some other era for the rest.

Just now, Last Man Standing said:

It looked too much like a Jump Street ripoff, made by people who didn't understand why Jump Street worked.

It should have been Jump Street good. Wrong team/ wrong cast too aside from Efron. 

Often enough, I did find that RT's score did a quite fit to my taste job, but it's because I looked at their average rating, instead of aggregate score.

In the case of WW, I gave it 7.5/10, RT's average gave the same mark.

• Like 1

I am so curious about Baby Driver. It just killed me when they moved it to June. The trailer is so good but I'm just not sure how appealing it'll be to the GP. That, Atomic Blonde and Detroit are the biggest wildcards of the summer imo. All three have great trailers but aren't really your typical summer releases. I could see all three doing great or completely lousy.

• Like 1