WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

Just got out of The Mummy and Rough Night both were ok and better than I was expecting but a certain subplot in Rough Night had me going WTF the entire time it was on screen. Plus I got some great trailer reactions. First with The Mummy they played DM3 which led to a couple of older ladies going awww with the minions. Right after was the Atomic Blonde trailer that had these same ladies going ohhhh at the Theron/Boutella kiss. Was a little jarring seeing both trailers side by side. Also got Baby Driver with Rough Night and once Ansel Elgort showed up on screen a group of teen girls freaked out. Maybe don't underestimate that audience for it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

OMG. 

I'm watching BVS with Mrs Tele...

This is amazing.This is a masterpiece.

Dont tease. That dream died long ago...

200_s.gif

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Hollywood has been losing viewers for decades. Because people have limited disposable income yet endless entertainment options.

If Hollywood wants to survive they need to stop ripping people off with disappointing products.

If Hollywood gets to a point where the vast majority of movies are considered good by the critics it's a win win for everyone.

More Get Outs and Logans and fewer Ghost in the Shells and King Arthurs.

But I actually really liked King Arthur and Ghost in the Shell(Specially King Arthur though). :thinking:

I don't know, it's complicated. Have you seen King Arthur's audience score? Even IMDB score? It just makes me wonder if a lot of people who would have liked it simply dismissed it cause of its critical score. I'm probably wrong and it was down to marketing and stuff but yeah, I don't know, RT keeps coming up more and more often.

I like RT, I like its concept, I just wish there was a rating between rotten and fresh I guess. Most of my favorite movies every year end up rotten for some reason so it's not that helpful for me.

• Like 1

Just now, aabattery said:

I'm actually watching Man of Steel right now.

I watched Dragon Emperor and Mummy so far. Mummy Returns tomorrow. Main takeaway - Brendan Fraser had charisma by the bucketload, he sold every single cheesy line given to him fully. Kind of a shame he isn't getting movie offers anymore.

• Like 8

Just now, grim22 said:

I watched Dragon Emperor and Mummy so far. Mummy Returns tomorrow. Main takeaway - Brendan Fraser had charisma by the bucketload, he sold every single cheesy line given to him fully. Kind of a shame he isn't getting movie offers anymore.

This weekend has been "productive" for me. Withnail & I and The Untouchables on Friday, Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Wonder Woman and RoboCop on Saturday and Empire of the Sun and Man of Steel today. I'll probably try fit in another '87 one today as well.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The Mummy balances tones so well. It can go from Indiana Jones-esque action/adventure to comedy to horror (those scarabs are pretty freaky) in the course of one scene. 

6 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

The Mummy balances tones so well. It can go from Indiana Jones-esque action/adventure to comedy to horror (those scarabs are pretty freaky) in the course of one scene. 

The smart thing it does is that it provides clear goals for the characters to keep the action going. Imhotep goes from initially wanting to kill everyone who plundered the tomb in order to become whole again while bringing the plagues upon Egypt, to then wanting to resurrect Anck-Su-Namun (or however it is spelled) through Evelyn before the specified deadline. The heroes have their own goals - stop The Mummy from regenerating, and then find the golden book to kill him. There is a definite thrust to the entire plot because there is something to be achieved at each point in the story by both the heroes and Imhotep. The new movie on the other hand basically

Spoiler

pauses the plot in the middle to universe build.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

OMG. 

I'm watching BVS with Mrs Tele...

:insane:

This is amazing. She's howling with laughter. It's infectious, I'm dying. This is a comedy masterpiece.

:OMG: 

Marvel-plant. :P

• Like 3

3 hours ago, aabattery said:

I'm trying to work out a segue from his discussion into saying The Lone Ranger is very good but I'm coming up blank.

Whatever. It's very good and it got bad reviews and that is somewhat relevant.

giphy.gif

²

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The smart thing it does is that it provides clear goals for the characters to keep the action going. Imhotep goes from initially wanting to kill everyone who plundered the tomb in order to become whole again while bringing the plagues upon Egypt, to then wanting to resurrect Anck-Su-Namun (or however it is spelled) through Evelyn before the specified deadline. The heroes have their own goals - stop The Mummy from regenerating, and then find the golden book to kill him. There is a definite thrust to the entire plot because there is something to be achieved at each point in the story by both the heroes and Imhotep. The new movie on the other hand basically

Reveal hidden contents

Agreed. The movie is pretty basic in terms of characterization and narrative thrust, but that works in its favor because it's all executed so well. Wait until you see The Mummy Returns.

Spoiler

It's basically the same movie, with the worse action scenes, a really stupid reincarnation backstory thrown in, and a needless appearance by CGI Rock at the end.

• Like 1

Just now, elcaballero said:

Agreed. The movie is pretty basic in terms of characterization and narrative thrust, but that works in its favor because it's all executed so well. Wait until you see The Mummy Returns.

Hide contents

It's basically the same movie, with the worse action scenes, a really stupid reincarnation backstory thrown in, and a needless appearance by CGI Rock at the end.

I have seen the movies back when they originally released. Just rewatching them because they are playing on cable this week, DVRd them :) 

• Like 1

And side note, but I just got caught up with the thread: I fully agree about smoking being much more prevalent OS. My uni, for example, had the front courtyard packed on breaks because everyone got out for a smoke. From my classroom (if you could call it that), 20/30 people smoked.   

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

also Rachel Weisz who plays a terrific and memorable character. And that amazing Goldsmith score

• Like 1