grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I can pretty much guarantee that Rough Night would have grossed 1-2M less on OW if reviews didn't come out on Wednesday and/or were flat out bad, and unlike The House, it was the first comedy in 3 weeks; The House is the first comedy in two days!

And you know this how?  Saturday barely beat true Friday and Sunday had a regular drop...where do you see the amazing Sat/Sun holds or even OW multiplier that the reviews spurred?  It had $700K previews and under 11.5x for the weekend - that's not good for a female-skewing comedy...

And comedies by nature are walk ups, so if you say presales were low on Tuesday and then reviews came in and they went up...obviously presales were low and you got more late sales and walk ups than you do for supers movies and sequels...that's how these work...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I disagree...I don't think it looks like an A+ comedy, but it has a timely hook that a lot of people could find really funny (if done well).  I mean, how many people have thought "how the heck am I gonna pay for my kids' college...I'm gonna need to rob a bank/sell my kidneys/mortgage the house/etc...but I can't disappoint Johnny/Janie after all the work they've put in?"  It's a really great concept to start from...

As I mentioned on the Rough Night thread, your comedy usually needs to be relatable in some way for people to be able to find it funny - this hits the 1st big check point.  The concept and the characters are both relatable.  So, I'm not gonna predict this will bomb...not until people actually see it and see if it's Daddy's Home 2.5 (sorry, I thought this concept should have been funny, but it just really wasn't) or Anchorman:TLORB (which was hilarious:)...

EDIT: Although, interesting, both of my listed movies made box office, but I didn't have another Farrell movie I hated to compare, although there are 1-2 I've missed:)...

It's such a played concept, been done by so many TV shows and movies. Add that the jokes sound flat, IMO it looks terrible and the fact that they aren't giving it to critics ahead of time is major red flag. 

Edited by GiantCALBears
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Dunno whether it's a good or funny movie at all, but one of the problems with THE HOUSE is that incredibly bland and generic title. 

Absolutely. It tells me nothing about the film. I truly thought that it was a remake of that old horror movie from the 80's or early 90's at first.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

It's not even 5% the movie La La Land is. First Mad Max losing to Spotlight and then this, don't know what kind of drinks they're serving the Academy members...

I don't think you're giving Moonlight its fair due, but I agree La La Land was the best movie of 2016.  Also, while Fury Road was great, it's your own fault if you actually expected it to win.  It never had a chance to win best picture.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Dunno whether it's a good or funny movie at all, but one of the problems with THE HOUSE is that incredibly bland and generic title. 

Yeah, it reminds me of the similarly horrendously titled The Watch (which I know had to have its title changed from Neighborhood Watch in light of Trayvon Martin's murder but still). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

I agree, but I think the rating is worse...having seen the previews a million times, I thought this was PG-13.  I'm surprised to see in this thread (and I just checked) that this is R.  Not sure why this needed to be R...it would have been better shooting for the PG-13 and going for both the older and younger audiences...I'm not sure what they would stick into this concept to get R, except what every comedy is doing...a million F bombs and/or visions of sexual organs to be funny (it works for Deadpool b/c it's Deadpool - it seems all comedies want to be Deadpool, but they can't be)...it's not like the concept calls for it... 

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

'Transformers 5? Terrible film, probably the worst POS I ever made, but the house it paid for is really beautiful".

That was Anthony Hopkins will say in a year's time.

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The comedy genre is need of a shakeup. Fully expecting studios to go back to PG-13 comedies sooner than later (and give up on chasing after the next Hangover or Bridesmaids), the only ones I can think of in recent memory are Central Intelligence and Ghostbusters '16 (and both of those were action hybrids).

I want to see the romcom make a comeback.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I agree, but I think the rating is worse...having seen the previews a million times, I thought this was PG-13.  I'm surprised to see in this thread (and I just checked) that this is R.  Not sure why this needed to be R...it would have been better shooting for the PG-13 and going for both the older and younger audiences...I'm not sure what they would stick into this concept to get R, except what every comedy is doing...a million F bombs and/or visions of sexual organs to be funny (it works for Deadpool b/c it's Deadpool - it seems all comedies want to be Deadpool, but they can't be)...it's not like the concept calls for it... 

I feel like this summer is lacking a straight up PG-13 rated comedy that a family could enjoy together. Sure it's nice to have raunchy R rated comedies but when every single comedy that comes out is one  it's no wonder you have a hard time finding a comedy summer breakout.

Edited by Rman823

Just now, Rman823 said:

I feel like this summer is lacking a straight up PG-13 rated comedy that a family could enjoy together. Sure it's nice to have raunchy R rated comedies but when every single comedy that comes out is one  it's no wonder you have a hard time finding a comedy summer breakout. 

R-rated comedies have been the thing since Apatow & Co. came along and The Hangover became a surprise megablockbuster. Most of the comedies released now (in particular, Snatched) would've definitely been conceived as PG-13 movies about 10 years ago.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I want to see the romcom make a comeback.

YES!!!  So many awesome ones in the 90's and early 00's...but this could be like the westerns from the John Wayne era...and era gone that can't really be repeated anymore on film b/c of societal changes.  I wouldn't try to make one now...I'd just pull out my old copies and enjoy...

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

R-rated comedies have been the thing since Apatow & Co. came along and The Hangover became a surprise megablockbuster. Most of the comedies released now (in particular, Snatched) would've definitely been conceived as PG-13 movies about 10 years ago.

It's just awkward though when Comedy is really the only genre I can enjoy with my mom and Snatched was the only option we had this summer. Seeing Schumer's breasts is not a fun theater experience with your mother. 

Edited by Rman823
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

YES!!!  So many awesome ones in the 90's and early 00's...but this could be like the westerns from the John Wayne era...and era gone that can't really be repeated anymore on film b/c of societal changes.  I wouldn't try to make one now...I'd just pull out my old copies and enjoy...

A great one that didn't get a lot of buzz when it came out is MAN UP. Simon Pegg (!) and Lake Bell.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

It's just awkward though when Comedy is really the only genre I can enjoy with my mom and Snatched was the only option we had this summer. Seeing Schumer's breasts is not a fun theater experience with your mother. 

I agree...my oldest daughter would probably like The House (we got the preview on WW and she liked it).  I'd have done a mom/daughter night if this was PG-13 (since I'm also becoming a Will Ferrell completionist)...but no way am I taking her to R.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

I agree...my oldest daughter would probably like The House (we got the preview on WW).  I'd have done a mom/daughter night if this was PG-13 (since I'm also becoming a Will Ferrell completionist)...but no way am I taking her to R.

I'm in my 20s and its still hard to watch R rated comedies with my mother. My dad on the other hand is a different story. Although we watched the first Hangover together and sure it was somewhat awkward the movie's so hilarious you just overlook it. A lot of time if I know a movie is going to be very raunchy and my mom wants to see it with me I'll just make her wait to catch the edited version on cable to save us both some embarrassment. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

So without spoilers to those who have seen both, which is worse TF2 or TF5? I find it hard to believe a movie can be worse than that POS.

It's close to a dead heat for me. Revenge of the Fallen has the worst plot (BY FAR), but TF5 has enough plot for 3 movies and fails to competently tell any of it.

There is nothing as offensive as the robot twins in TF5, at least.

• Like 1