grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

36 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This has to be the most spectacular implosion ever for a once mighty franchise.

Jaws 4

Superman 4

Different times and different box office but those two movies fell massively from The Originals as well

• Like 3

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Jaws 4

Superman 4

Different times and different box office but those two movies fell massively from The Originals as well

On a smaller scale but I would include Scream 4. Especially when you consider how high some people were expecting it to go.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

Jaws 4

Superman 4

Both of those were made on the cheap as well and still bombed. Superman III barely doubled its budget WW as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

GOT isn't screening for critics either :ph34r:

(side note: The House looks like one of the worst comedies I've ever seen from a big studio. Bland and uninteresting. 

I think it looks pretty fun, but no critics screenings have crashed my hype. WB isn't confident in this whatsoever. 

54 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It's not even 5% the movie La La Land is. First Mad Max losing to Spotlight and then this, don't know what kind of drinks they're serving the Academy members...

To be fair, this is academy award of oscar, not sort of box office mojo award, I'm ok if they rewarded the prize to those low-profile movie if they really good, and spotlight was really really great to win over other

• Like 1

sequels having massive drops used to be pretty common

we had Jaws compared to the sequels as the most obvious but also

Godfather to Godfather 2 and 3

Karate Kid 2 to Karate Kid 3

Ghostbusters to Ghostbusters 2

Back to the Future to Back to the Future 2 and 3

Batman to Batman Returns 

Rambo 2 to Rambo 3

Rocky 4 to Rocky 5

Star Trek 4 to Star Trek 5

and probably worst of all Gremlins to Gremlins 2

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

If I was a comedy (or any sequel) this summer, and I wasn't 100% sure I was gonna hit 80%+ on Rotten Tomatoes, I wouldn't screen for critics either...since it's all risk and little reward...these movies don't need critics and worse, critics have been destroying them.  They'd open far better on the merits of their advertising vs the critics' thrashing...

I'm not a fan of the 5thquels, but even I accept that fans have liked them far better than critics and critics seem to be going for easy targets...and sequels and comedies make easy targets...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

If I was a comedy (or any sequel) this summer, and I wasn't 100% sure I was gonna hit 80%+ on Rotten Tomatoes, I wouldn't screen for critics either...since it's all risk and little reward...these movies don't need critics and worse, critics have been destroying them.  They'd open far better on the merits of their advertising vs the critics' thrashing...

I'm not a fan of the 5thquels, but even I accept that fans have liked them far better than critics and critics seem to be going for easy targets...and sequels and comedies make easy targets...

Not screening a movie for critics is never not the studio's way of saying "we know our movie sucks." It won't help when The House doesn't have much buzz in the first place.

12 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

GOT isn't screening for critics either :ph34r:

(side note: The House looks like one of the worst comedies I've ever seen from a big studio. Bland and uninteresting. 

I disagree...I don't think it looks like an A+ comedy, but it has a timely hook that a lot of people could find really funny (if done well).  I mean, how many people have thought "how the heck am I gonna pay for my kids' college...I'm gonna need to rob a bank/sell my kidneys/mortgage the house/etc...but I can't disappoint Johnny/Janie after all the work they've put in?"  It's a really great concept to start from...

As I mentioned on the Rough Night thread, your comedy usually needs to be relatable in some way for people to be able to find it funny - this hits the 1st big check point.  The concept and the characters are both relatable.  So, I'm not gonna predict this will bomb...not until people actually see it and see if it's Daddy's Home 2.5 (sorry, I thought this concept should have been funny, but it just really wasn't) or Anchorman:TLORB (which was hilarious:)...

EDIT: Although, interesting, both of my listed movies made box office, but I didn't have another Farrell movie I hated to compare, although there are 1-2 I've missed:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

I can pretty much guarantee that Rough Night would have grossed 1-2M less on OW if reviews didn't come out on Wednesday and/or were flat out bad, and unlike The House, it was the first comedy in 3 weeks; The House is the first comedy in two days!

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

Jaws 4

Superman 4

Jaws 4 (aka Jaws:the Revenge) was immortalized about a year after if opened...and flopped when Michale Caine was asked about it and he made the reply:

'Jaws 4? Terrible film, probably the worst POS I ever made, but the house it paid for is really beautiful".

• Like 1

The comedy genre is need of a shakeup. Fully expecting studios to go back to PG-13 comedies sooner than later (and give up on chasing after the next Hangover or Bridesmaids), the only ones I can think of in recent memory are Central Intelligence and Ghostbusters '16 (and both of those were action hybrids).

• Like 1