grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

do you want to discuss the brilliance of LEGO Movie (2014) with me, because I'm always down to discuss that

I will. You better bring that support for Ninjago.

• Like 1

If WW's 7.6m holds, it will pass DP on the 22nd day of release and still be outgrossing it by a healthy amount on a day-to-day comparison. 

It also will be bigger than SPIDER-MAN's respective Friday -- notable because SM1's main strength were its huge weekend holds. 

• Like 16

A Saturday of $11,437,164 would be a 50.49% increase from RTH's Friday and it would have a per location average of $2,908 which is exactly 0.75 of last weeks per location average.  Figuring in a 25% drop on Sunday gives the weekend at gPyymsqs1l2klxeeJbVYX4seT9Btx94w95N0Yj72

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Next weekend is a 5 day. I think it will match or exceed the 3 day over 5 days.

Nah. That'd be too easy and I've been getting shitted on for easy clubs so I'm going big or going home.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean we're talking about a 100m+ opening CBM that could finish with a 3.8-4x multi. Do you really not realize how mind mindbogglingly insane that is? As in it shouldn't even be possible in the early 00's let alone 2017. How do you expect people to react? 

Also -- in the summer.

This summer comic book movie will most likely have a better multiplier than The Force Awakens --

A December movie

That was the most hyped up release of the decade.

That broke pretty much all records.

We're also in 2017, where comic book movies are having increasingly worse multipliers every year.

Just let that sink in.

Finishing with anything above $368M (3.57) means Wonder Woman will be the leggiest comic book movie since Batman in 1989

Anyone who's whining about why people are losing their shit is being a bit obnoxious here. This is, after all, a box office forum.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

And this is the hard part. It Comes at Night and Captain Underpants are the two movies this month I liked, yet nobody is talking about them because the former imploded and the latter isn't grossing anything impressive! GOTG has kind of faded off discussion wise, and I've been getting shit with Alien since OW.

:sadben: 

Hey, I liked ALIEN. You're not alone there. 

Explore the wonderful back catalog of stuff on Netflix or streaming. Let me introduce you to the wonders of Tarkovsky. 

tumblr_opa49krlyM1qc5ds6o1_400.gif

Just now, Telemachos said:

Hey, I liked ALIEN. You're not alone there. 

Explore the wonderful back catalog of stuff on Netflix or streaming. Let me introduce you to the wonders of Tarkovsky. 

See, I like to think I can dive into so many movies/episodes in a single day, but I don't. The internet is too distracting.

Oh fuck I'm a moron in my TF5 predictions. Should've looked up TF2 and TF3 and saw that even though very different market, both jumped less than 10%. My TF5 predict was a jump of 34%. So if I readjust with RTH's #s:

Fri: 13.7

Sat: 13.2

Sun: 9.8

OW: 36.7

meanwhile, WW

Fri: 7.7

Sat: 12.7

Sun: 10.5

W: 30.9M

Damn, looks my dream isn't true but still nice for WW

4 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Also -- in the summer.

This summer comic book movie will most likely have a better multiplier than The Force Awakens --

A December movie

That was the most hyped up release of the decade.

That broke pretty much all records.

We're also in 2017, where comic book movies are having increasingly worse multipliers every year.

Just let that sink in.

Finishing with anything above $368M (3.57) means Wonder Woman will be the leggiest comic book movie since Batman in 1989

Anyone who's whining about why people are losing their shit is being a bit obnoxious here. This is, after all, a box office forum.

I'd probably stop short of calling it more impressive than TFA's multi, because I mean c'mon...that opened to 250m. Yes I know it was December not summer, and not as frontloaded of a genre as a CBM, but still...250m and a 3.8 multi. I'd easily rank it the second most impressive multi of the decade though. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I don't have much going for me in my life right now. All the movies I've liked this summer outside of GOTG have underperformed greatly, and it's just been a pretty weak summer so far for film. Combine that with constant anxiety about shit I deal with irl, and it's not really pleasant.

In all seriousness, life has its "seasons", with some better and some worse.  And the thing about seasons is they all pass.  I know what it's like to have a bad year or two or ten...probably most of this board does, but it gets better...

What I tell my kids...focus on the positives.  Focus on what matters.  In the grand scheme, when it comes to movies, what should matter the most is whether you like the film and got a lot from it...who cares if anyone else saw it and thought the same?  Most people are idiots...and most people would say most people are idiots (yes, somehow that works, even if the Math would be all wrong...but again, that's b/c most people are idiots:)...

Most of my favorite movies of all time aren't critically or box office loved...except for Titanic...and I've disliked or even hated some of the best thought of or highest grossing movies (never get me started on Gone with the Wind...OMG, I can't believe my spouse made me watch it)...but in the grand scheme, who cares if I liked Clue (and I still do - it's STILL awesome!) and disliked Gone with the Wind?  I still got to watch both...and having the time, money, and sometimes people to watch them and discuss them with is all that matters...when you know many folks who can't, it helps to see how much you're blessed.  

PS - Watched a documentary on Netflix about Romania preventing any US movies into the country back in the late Cold War era and the crazy black market for awful US movies that got smuggled in...and you think that's all they had to watch and they loved it b/c it wasn't 24 hour propoganda from the gov...made me REALLY appreciate having the freedom to have SO MANY forms of entertainment at my fingertips...

• Like 8

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

tumblr_opa49krlyM1qc5ds6o1_400.gif

See, I like to think I can dive into so many movies/episodes in a single day, but I don't. The internet is too distracting.

Sit down and embrace the works of Werner Herzog.

• Like 1

Sometimes wins come easy in life. Other times it's more difficult but when they do come all the more satisfying.   I can't help but be a huge Game of thrones stan so when I see people saying the #WinterisComing trailer is the best trailer they've ever seen for a TV program or that the summer season begins now because thrones is back, I have fun with it because I really do love the show.

MCU fans have had it easy too and I like some of the films but the stuff like Doctor Strange that people think is mindblowing and I think is just "whatever.."   you can't always be in the majority. 

• Like 6