grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

31 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't have the time to do it right now, but when's the last time a film not aimed at kids...in other words, no animation, had an increase north of 80% in the last Friday in June?  I'm sure there are movies that have done it, but like I said, I can't look it up right now.

I glanced through the years, and I did find The Hangover in 2009 had a 87.5% increase in the last Friday of June. If that fits your criteria. 

I remember that movie being a surprising run itself. 

• Like 1

So Wonder Woman is now ahead of the running total of Deadpool and will be about 9M ahead of it coming out of the weekend.

If it follows MoS dailies post MoS 3rd weekend, it gets to 370M. MoS fell 45%, 59%, 61% and 59% on the next 4 weekends. Thinking 380M is a base target now just following MoS and it's not so great theater and percentage drops.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fielding said:

I want WB to sign up Mandy Moore for Wonder Woman 2.

Silver Swan confirmed... :P

Wonder Woman’s phenomenal performance is definite proof that she indeed left a great impression in BvS, even in her brief appearance. Despite the audience reports and the critical consensus, many people still felt that her captivating audiences in BvS was BS and that her fans were simply making a bigger deal out of nothing.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 2

I think POTC might have needed some time to recover from WONDR. To have an over-perfomring-WONDR release in your 2nd weekend after the OW itself was inflated due to Mem Day became a recipe for a big drop that too for five-quel. But it seems to have dealt with that well eventually. Fortunately Mummy didn't prove to be competition for anyone. TF5 underwhelming helps it further. Also hints at better reception (haven't watched it). To take help of lack of big competition (apart from WONDR) still requires good reception. Else like Mummy or A:C it could have petered away after the ow.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

Just now, BoxOfficeZ said:

I glanced through the years, and I did find The Hangover in 2009 had a 87.5% increase in the last Friday of June. If that fits your criteria. 

I remember that movie being a surprising run itself. 

The Hangover might just be the most beloved comedy of the past 10 years and had one of the most shocking runs, too. 277m DOM for a live-action comedy is almost unheard of. It really set a new bar for its genre at the time. Kind of like what WW is doing right now, so it's fitting that both had such high increases.:D

6 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

It is kinda sad, though, that besides GotG Vol. 2 and WW nothing made much of an impact so far this summer. We've come down a lot from an amazing first quarter. Hopefully July will change that.

So have the quality of movies lol, I think there is a correlation 

TF5's Audience score has dropped to 60% after starting off at 71-72%. Should go down to mid-fifties if not lesser. But apart from the first one (85%), the other three also are sub-60 at 51-57% so nothing out of the ordinary.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, commonsense88 said:

So have the quality of movies lol, I think there is a correlation 

The other "Certified fresh" movies on RT in that time have been Covfefe, ICAN and Captain Underpants. Covfefe and ICAN were rejected by audiences in a big way, CU did fine for its budget. 

• Like 1