Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

I don't think it is even close. IO is the best animation of the 10's and definetely at least all time top 5 for me. It was the most creative,touching,deep and yet exciting animation we have had lately. The humour was perfect as well, away from the typical shitty jokes from kids. Truly smart humour.

After it, Kubo would rank high for me and the first Despicable Me movie as well.

The Lego Movie was just OK, Zootopia was far from special and Frozen was meh.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I don't think it is even close. IO is the best animation of the 10's and definetely at least all time top 5 for me. It was the most creative,touching,deep and yet exciting animation we have had lately. The humour was perfect as well, away from the typical shitty jokes from kids. Truly smart humour.

After it, Kubo would rank high for me and the first Despicable Me movie as well.

The Lego Movie was just OK, Zootopia was far from special and Frozen was meh.

Did you ever go to Disney World before they shut Cranium Command?  If not, you'll find the movie immensely creative.  If so, you'll find it derivative of that attraction - still really good, but not the "OMG, how'd they think of that" reaction.

The same for Bing Bong...he was derivative from Toy Story 3 plotline...the "turning the page on the toys as you grow up", just in mind form.  Still really cool, but not quite as devastatingly creative.

So, Inside Out is not my favorite Pixar, nor do I think it's the best or most creative one...It's in my Top 5, so it's really good, but it's not "OMG, this is Star Wars Original Trilogy awesome!" good:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Did you ever go to Disney World before they shut Cranium Command?  If not, you'll find the movie immensely creative.  If so, you'll find it derivative of that attraction - still really good, but not the "OMG, how'd they think of that" reaction.

The same for Bing Bong...he was derivative from Toy Story 3 plotline...the "turning the page on the toys as you grow up", just in mind form.  Still really cool, but not quite as devastatingly creative.

So, Inside Out is not my favorite Pixar, nor do I think it's the best or most creative one...It's in my Top 5, so it's really good, but it's not "OMG, this is Star Wars Original Trilogy awesome!" good:)...

Well I am not a Star Wars fan so I would never have said that for different reasons...

:rofl:

WDAS is KING again IMO.

Zootopia/Moana is a double hit combo for the ages as far as I am concerned.

Two absolutely breathking movies visually with great world building, characters, stories and humor.

What s not to love ? 

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 4

If I was gonna pick my Top 3 GA animations since 2010, I'd pick Toy Story 3, The Lego Movie, and Kubo.  Beautiful storytelling in all 3...and the endings of all 3...just epic and awesome...if you have to have great moments, it pays to put them at the end:).

And since it's a Will Ferrell weekend, let's talk about where he completely shined in The Lego Movie - watch him act that last live action scene with his young boy and tell me you aren't almost brought to tears...he kept it understated and real...and tell me that you don't know some collector or someone else who had that same mindset about "stuff vs kids"...my husband went through a stage like that with his trade paperback collection...it took finding out how much his kids loved them to realize it was worth having them become "well-loved" vs "like new"...the movie hit that whole thing out of the park...

• Like 4

The number of franchises killed or put on life support by this summer is staggering :

- Drunk Millionnaire Pirate

- UMCU, take 2

- Transformium

- Cars with a Soul, Batteries Sold Separately 

- In space, no one can hear you whine about how the Alien franchise has become lame & horrible.

That s 5 casualties.

Ykes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

You do realize that Cars 3 could be a John Carter level bomb and it would still make Disney millions and millions through merchandising? They don't give a double decker shit about wheater or not Cars 3 should actually exist as a movie and what does it do at the box office.

I would imagine that the merchandising performance is linked a lot to the movies performance and how well liked they are (otherwise they would not even have to make them at all probably).

What is true is that those cars movie could have 50% rebate on their ticket with Disney getting no rental and still have been some of the most profitable movie ever made.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I would imagine that the merchandising performance is linked a lot to the movies performance and how well liked they are (otherwise they would not even have to make them at all probably)

If that was the case, Cars would have definitely been a lot lower. There have be many more liked franchises through the years.

It is just that the subject was very very suitable for merchandise.

Would it ever be possible for Shrek to be a top merchandise brand?

Edited by FantasticBeasts

8 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The number of franchises killed or put on life support by this summer is staggering :

- Drunk Millionnaire Pirate

- UMCU, take 2

- Transformium

- Cars with a Soul, Batteries Sold Separately 

- In space, no one can hear you whine about how the Alien franchise has become lame & horrible.

That s 5 casualties.

Ykes.

Safe to put the Arthurian movie universe in that list also, it is the most death of the bunch (the only clearly death one).

4 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

If that was the case, Cars would have definitely been a lot lower. There have be many more liked franchises through the years.

It is judge that the subject was very very suitable for merchandise.

Would it ever be possible for Shrek to be a top merchandise brand?

you'd be surprised just how hard they were pushing shrek merch when it was big

Personally I think the first half of 2017 has been better than the first half of 2016:

1. Baby Driver

2. Get Out

3. It Comes at Night

4. Alien

5. John Wick

6. Logan

7. Split

8. GOTG

9. Gifted

10. Fate of the Furious

1. Sing Street

2. 10 Cloverfield Lane

3. The Witch

4. Deadpool

5. The Conjuring 2

6. The Lobster

7. Wilderpeople

8. Eye in the Sky

9. Popstar

10. Swiss Army Man

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Personally I think the first half of 2017 has been better than the first half of 2016:

1. Baby Driver

2. Get Out

3. It Comes at Night

4. Alien

5. John Wick

6. Logan

7. Split

8. GOTG

9. Gifted

10. Fate of the Furious

1. Sing Street

2. 10 Cloverfield Lane

3. The Witch

4. Deadpool

5. The Conjuring 2

6. The Lobster

7. Eye in the Sky

8. Popstar

9. Swiss Army Man

10. Zootopia

Not to go back to 2016 to bitch about your taste...

But god damn you putting The Lobster below Deadpool and 10 Cloverfild

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captain H said:

you'd be surprised just how hard they were pushing shrek merch when it was big

I don't know what they were doing but what I know is that although shriek was bigger than Cars ever was, I never heard about it being huge on merchandise. And I do not blame anyone.

Shrek dolls do feel awkward.

17 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

If that was the case, Cars would have definitely been a lot lower.

Well no, the movie merchandise sales can be affected by how loved and successful the movie output is without being the only factor, like you said a car franchise is one of the best to be merchandised to young boys (versus a movie like Moana that is harder to turn into toys). Hard to believe that Cars merchandise sales worldwide would not have been 1% higher in the last 5 year's, that they would have been the exact same amount if Cars 2 was a Toy story 2/3 level beloved movie that made 900 million at the world box office.

We would need a by year breakdown to see if there is a jump in the movie year and if it is lower than for franchise with more liked and bigger output.

Someone did try to look for Hasbro toys sales and Hasbro related movie box office and the correlation was really strong:

mattel1b.jpg

Hasbro could be an extreme case, I doubt that would be the same for every franchise, but it is hard to imagine zero link between movie popularity and their merchandise.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2