CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

I'll probably end up being slightly to optimistic but I'll call around the $130m+ mark a win. 

I knew the Aussie Thursday meant Spidey was back. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Subzero said:

There hasn't been a single Spiderman entry that has gross more than $510M OS.

I think the Amazing-Spiderman 2 was closest to it .... so max I see it doing is $600M OS, plus $360DOM .. (This is MAx)

But I still hold that it will do under $900M ....

So? You add Iron Man and have great reviews and yeah I do think it's going to do around 600mil, if not over.

2 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Sony funded it so they get the bulk of any return. 

Interesting. So Sony said "hey you can use the character, you can make the film, but we'll fund it and get the majority of the return". Not really sure if this helps Marvel? :wintf:

Edited by Cookson

Spiderman Homecoming was created through and through inside the Marvel Studios structure.

Jon Watts told the story about how there was no script when he arrived on the project and he had a little office at Marvel Studios HQ with two writers and they started to exchange ideas about what they would like to see Spidey do in a movie, in 2017.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cookson said:

Interesting. So Sony said "hey you can use the character, you can make the film, but we'll fund it and get the majority of the return". Not really sure if this helps Marvel? :wintf:

Marvel  in the end get the merchandising returns, which in the long run I think it's a better deal and a win/win situation for both.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cookson said:

Marvel gets all Spider-Man merch money, and a good Spidey movie helps way more in that regard than a bad one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Flip it and reverse it. 

Marvel get to use Spidey in Avengers films where they get the return. 

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Subzero said:

There hasn't been a single Spiderman entry that has gross more than $510M OS.

I think the Amazing-Spiderman 2 was closest to it .... so max I see it doing is $600M OS, plus $360DOM .. (This is MAx)

But I still hold that it will do under $900M ....

Spider-Man 3 did 554M OS.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cookson said:

for one, they get to include Spider-man in their cinematic universe without any fuss from Sony

5 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Spidey is now with the Avengers.

Marvel Studios' mandate was to make Spidey great again and get rid of the stench the ASM movies left in people s mouths.

Disney owns Spidey s merchandising rights.

Everybody wins.

Except Sam Raimi s hardcore fans, I am afraid we can't do anything to sooze their mind.

Edited by The Futurist

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Spider-Man 3 did 554M OS.

LOL Spiderman 3 don't count ;)

That was at the popularity of Spidey, and yet that didn't touch $600M ...

Edited by Subzero

16 minutes ago, Subzero said:

LOL Spiderman 3 don't count ;)

That was at the popularity of Spidey, and yet that didn't touch $600M ...

Well, if the movie was better received that extra 50M isn't toooooo big a reach. Plus that was before China really exploded, so I'd say 600M is most certainly a possibility.

Edited by aabattery
granted i know precisely "not a lot" about os grosses so my opinion isn't the most trustworthy in this regard
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Disney already has all of the Spider-Man merchandising rights. Now, they get to use Spider-Man in as many cross-overs as they want. The big money from their perspective is the cross-over movies.

Sony is a winner because they don't have to make a Sider-Man movie every five years or risk losing the rights and they get their solo movies to be part of the MCU. However, the value of being able to have Spider-Man show up in Disney/Marvel movies is massive.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, nomyth said:

The fact that the 6th SM film in the 3rd reboot in 15 years will gross around 50M OD is simply astounding.

SM is truly one of the most popular characters ever created.

He has a very high floor. Spider 1-3 all helps admissions record upon opening.