CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

9 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

I find it interesting people accuse marvel of not taking risks/gambles. 

Wasnt Gotg a risk?

Wasnt Thor a risk?

Wasnt Doctor Strange a risk?

Wasnt Antman a risk?

What marvel did with these properties and the 'acclaim' they get is incredible. Jmo

Wasn't IM a risk ?  Hell they even had to freeze some assets to do it and took the risk of hiring RDJ.

Wasn't the MCU itself a risk ?  Now every other studio is trying to emulate it riding on Marvel's success with CBM and shared universes with the lesser risk since Marvel already tested it before anyone else and with A listed characters or mega popular ones whose popularity is already tested otherwise....something Marvel didn't have and had to start from scratch building popularity out of obscure or less popular characters.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

I find it interesting people accuse marvel of not taking risks/gambles. 

Wasnt Gotg a risk?

Wasnt Thor a risk?

Wasnt Doctor Strange a risk?

Wasnt Antman a risk?

What marvel did with these properties and the 'acclaim' they get is incredible. Jmo

a financial risk? yes. a creative one? no.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

Just now, AJG said:

What people forget about Marvel is that most of their characters are B-leage and C-league characters. They weren't popular at all before these movies.

I can only imagine the reactions if you had said Ant-Man would be made into a movie back when the MCU was just gearing up. 

6 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Yeah but these movies were still "generic and followed the Marvel formula" so you can't count them as taking risks.

No. Taking risks =/= formulaic. Since all comic book movies are very similar.

3 minutes ago, Finnick said:

Yeah lets spend $200M on a tree and talking racoon, if that not a risk!! WHAT DO YOU CALL IT. Marvel succeeded because it took HUGE risks. The whole movie industry is shaped now because of Marvel. Give Marvel a little credit.

Even Black Panther. I never thought I'd live to see the day where this film would be made. 

Edited by AJG

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yes Guardians of the Galaxy was a risk Doctor Strange was not. Marvel are at Pixar level now stop trying to make them The Underdogs.

I will agree that basically nothing they do now is a "risk" since they're truly at that level of infallibility, but they did take a ton of risks to get there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

No. Taking risks =/= formulaic. Since all comic book movies are very similar.

Could you not tell the sarcasm in my post ?Thought the quotation marks would help. 

Edited by Rman823

1 minute ago, brandmaks said:

I really underestimated SMH.  Iron Man has to take some of the credit.

Reveal hidden contents

This is a spoiler. You should remove it.

3 minutes ago, Finnick said:

Yeah lets spend $200M on a tree and talking racoon, if that not a risk!! WHAT DO YOU CALL IT. Marvel succeeded because it took HUGE risks. The whole movie industry is shaped now because of Marvel. Give Marvel a little credit.

I know. I was saying what those that say Marvel never takes risks and all their movies are formulaic say. 

12 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

But pushing the envelope doesn't always work out and can create controversy amongst fans. Sure Deadpool and Logan are huge successes with audiences and fans but BvS and Suicide Squad show it doesn't always pay off. Sometimes you're better off to just play it safe. 

BvS didn't pay off critically or financially but SS did financially and WW did financially and critically