CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

41 minutes ago, narniadis said:

@LonePirate

Nobody truly expected a 4.0x for WW pre-release and most of us that predicted over 300m in the summer game were not expecting to get there after OW.

That's b/c so many posters panic and forget why they made their overall box office guesses in the 1st place.  If your reasons don't change, the overall box office estimate you have shouldn't change, either.  Sometimes lower OWs are as simple as real world events getting in the way of people getting out to the screens and they'll see it when they see it...

I mean, at this point, there has to be 100% consensus that Games 1-2 of the NBA Finals trilogy held down WW's OW...how much, we'll never really know, but we do know (after seeing the effects of games 3, 4, and 5 as well) that it held it down...

Between BvS, Suicide Squad, Apocalypse, and Doctor Strange (yep), there was a reason I was so negative about superhero movies going into the year. Just fucking awful. Everyone is on the whole mocking of "superhero fatigue" but it kinda helps that every superhero movie this year has been extremely well-received and ranked in the upper echelons of the genre. The Western probably would have survived if every movie was The Searchers, too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

0% chance of that happening.

Thor makes around 200 mill domestic and TFA made 900. How do u possibly see this happening.

Since you seem to be pretty confident in this would you like to do another 10 to 1 that? If you are right I will donate $100 to this site if you are wrong and you donate $10.

I'll take your bet THOR3 Final DOM vs. Last Jedi OW  -- :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Between BvS, Suicide Squad, Apocalypse, and Doctor Strange (yep), there was a reason I was so negative about superhero movies going into the year. Just fucking awful. Everyone is on the whole mocking of "superhero fatigue" but it kinda helps that every superhero movie this year has been extremely well-received and ranked in the upper echelons of the genre. The Western probably would have survived if every movie was The Searchers, too.

Includes BvS but not Civil War :kitschjob:

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Yeah, last year's CBM crop is seeming pretty damn pathetic after this year. Meanwhile, this year's animation crop is pathetic compared to last year's.

And on that shift in topic, I stand by what I was saying late last year that Moana would have been far better served at the box office being pushed back to this summer. Could have hit 300 for sure. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Just now, YourMother said:

In fact, I'd argue that CW is a lot harder to rewatch than BVS. And I disliked BVS.

I do really like CW despite what I've been saying, but after a theater watch, it's just not that memorable outside of a few scenes.  I can remember BVS very clearly.

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The Western probably would have survived if every movie was The Searchers, too.

That and if they had put out 5-10 movies a year instead of 50+.

• Like 1

2016 super talk, hey?

I really like Deadpool and Civil War (for all its problems, I unapologetically see tons of merit in that film, and playing it safe doesn't ruin a movie for me, otherwise Force Awakens, which I'm also a big fan of, would be my least favorite film of all time); I'm okay w/Doctor Strange, though I would rank it closer to the bottom MCU tier than the higher; I think BVS is a mess, but I hold positivity towards it and some of its accomplishments; I'm meh on Apocalypse (it is a better made movie than BVS, but I enjoy BVS more); and I HATE Suicide Squad and think it's one of the worst superhero films of the decade (if it's not in Fant4stic and Amazing Spider-Man 2 tier, it's damn sure close enough).

2017 - I found Lego Batman very entertaining, I really enjoyed Guardians 2, and I adored both Logan and Wonder Woman. '17 wins. Hands down.

• Like 1

I just hope Winter Soldier/Bucky is essentially gone. Liked him well enough in First Avenger. But, really, he's the least interesting thing in Winter Soldier and Civil War. Distracts and bogs both movies down. Best things in Civil War were... Works better in Winter Soldier because of the fun Hydra through line. But, sucks that both flicks are essentially his story unfolding. And, yeah, Russo Bros. filmmaking is kind of flat. Though, they can fashion a hell of an action sequence.

-Spidey/Parker

-Panther/T'Challa

-Ant-Man/Lang

-Stark

-Airport battle

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

2016 was a bummer because Apocalypse wasn't good and neither was Suicide Squad and BvS was a disaster outside of a couple of Wonder Woman scenes and the warehouse fight. I did think that Deadpool, Civil War and Doctor Strange were good so it wasn't all bad.  it was a 50-50 kind of year.

Doctor Strange is the hardest one to rewatch by far. BvS and Suicide Squad are memorably disasters. Apocalypse at least has a few decent sequences. Dr. Strange is bad and incredibly boring. Within the first 20 minutes, he's introduced as an egotistical doctor, loses his ability in a terrible accident, exhausts tons of options to fix it, travels the world to find a cure, discovers a mystical temple, accepts the existence of inter-dimensional magic at face value, and becomes a wizard trainee. Ten minutes later, he's now some super powerful wizard. One of the most egerious examples of bad pacing and character development in modern movies. 

• Like 4

Apocalypse was almost X3/Origins bad. Easily the worst of the post FC X-films. The only reason it wasn't the worst of its year is because it came out the same year as BvS. BvS was so bad that I stopped giving DCEU movies the benefit of the doubt when it comes to reviews. Still haven't seen Suicide Squad thanks to that, would've given WW a pass if it weren't for the reviews, and will likely give JL a pass.

• Like 1