CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

4 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Deadpool-Shit

BvS-Shit

CW-Shit

Apocalypse-Shit

Suicide Squad-Shit

DS-Shit 

We all good now?

Or Deadpool-Good, BvS-Good, CW- Good, Apocalypse- Good, Suicide Squad- Good, Doctor Strange- Good, Fant4stic- SHIT. 

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Deadpool - quality

Apocalypse - quality

Civil War - good but forgettable

Doctor Strange - good but forgettable

Suicide Squad - bad but memorable

BvS - bad but memorable

Notice a pattern?

Yeah you left out the last two MCU smash successes.

Just now, grey ghost said:

This will probably be one of the last SH debates on the weekend thread until November.

So everybody is just letting loose, lol.

Cool. errr

DC video games >>>>>>> Marvel Video games

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

This year just offers/offered a more exciting slate and more compelling filmmakers directing each CBM.

Logan - Mangold

Guardians Vol. 2 - Gunn

Wonder Woman - Jenkins

Spider-man Homecoming -Watts

Valerian - Besson

Kingsman - Vaughn

Thor Ragnarok - Waititi

Justice League - Snyder/Whedon

You forgot:

Ghost in the Shell - ...Rupert Sanders?

Smurfs: The Lost Village - ...Kelly Asbury?

Yeah, overall 2016 was a disappointing year for this genre. I liked two, am alright with other two, meh in one, and FUCK YOU in the other. Middle ground average, if you count your fingers here.

2015 was probably a better year. Kingsman was great, Ant-Man was very good, Peanuts was also very good... Ultron was okay, I guess (at best), and Fant4stic was an abhorrent piece of shit, but Suicide Squad was almost as bad anyway, so whatever. But I still wouldn't say it was a great year for CBM's.

The last great one (before 2017) was 2014. Yes, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was cinematic garbage, but Winter Soldier, Days Of Future Past and Guardians 1 were all excellent, and while I think it's overrated, Big Hero 6 was good too.

12 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I just hope Winter Soldier/Bucky is essentially gone. Liked him well enough in First Avenger. But, really, he's the least interesting thing in Winter Soldier and Civil War. Distracts and bogs both movies down. Best things in Civil War were... Works better in Winter Soldier because of the fun Hydra through line. But, sucks that both flicks are essentially his story unfolding. And, yeah, Russo Bros. filmmaking is kind of flat. Though, they can fashion a hell of an action sequence.

-Spidey/Parker

-Panther/T'Challa

-Ant-Man/Lang

-Stark

-Airport battle

Agreed and Sebastion Stan is a pretty good actor too. They never really used his acting abilities 

MCU is picking between the most boring possible directing choices (Derrickson, Russos) and some genuinely thrilling ones (Coogler, Waititi) so it kinda evens out. I'm seeing SMH at 3 so I'll let my opinion of Watts known then, but is the consensus that he's babysitting a good script and cast, or actually elevating material? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Deadpool - B-/C+

Apocalypse - D+

Civil War - B-/C+

Doctor Strange - B-/B-

Suicide Squad - D-

BvS - D

Memorable for you. Only thing I remember from SS is Cara D. I honestly don't remember any Joker scene or line. And, BvS I recall nothing but the piss jar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah you left out the last two MCU smash successes.

Guardians 2 - quality cause it strays from the typical Marvel formula

Spider-Man: Homecoming - quality cause it strays from the typical Marvel formula

Logan - best superhero movie to exist

Wonder Woman - quality

Amazing for Spider Man. That's the first time Spidey saw a big debut since 2007! And Baby Driver is also holding on strong for Sony. Sony should have at least 3 hits this month, Dark Tower has overseas but could bring in some nice profit. 

Is it wrong to want a little of both from my CBMs. Sometimes I enjoy the out of the box and something different method while other times it's nice to have a "cookie cutter" "by the numbers" type of film. 

Edited by Rman823

29 minutes ago, AJG said:

Ryan Gosling can't sing. The relationship between the leads was boring. 

Neither of them could sing or dance and the characters were unlikable who couldn't be arsed to work on their relationship so why should I care?

Looked pretty though.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

MCU is picking between the most boring possible directing choices (Derrickson, Russos) and some genuinely thrilling ones (Coogler, Waititi) so it kinda evens out. I'm seeing SMH at 3 so I'll let my opinion of Watts known then, but is the consensus that he's babysitting a good script and cast, or actually elevating material? 

Yeah I didn't notice the directing to be particularly strong.  It works cause of the great, funny script.  Only real fantastic sequence is the Washington Monument scene (not a spoiler, was shown in the trailer!)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I do really like CW despite what I've been saying, but after a theater watch, it's just not that memorable outside of a few scenes.  I can remember BVS very clearly.

This^

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Neither of them could sing or dance and the characters were unlikable who couldn't be arsed to work on their relationship so why should I care?

Looked pretty though.

Soundtrack is great too. It's no Moana, but I still listen to some songs from time to time.

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I like Big Hero 6 but it's a seven or seven-and-a-half out of 10 movie. It's not amazing.

I thought it was a really forgettable Spiderman knock off.

Even had the kid living with his Aunt.

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Guardians 2 - quality cause it strays from the typical Marvel formula

Spider-Man: Homecoming - quality cause it strays from the typical Marvel formula

Logan - best superhero movie to exist

Wonder Woman - quality

I agreed with everything in this post. ThatOneGuy you and me is buddies now.