CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

10 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The Force Awakens was absolutely female led. It's silly to claim otherwise. It's Star Wars though a gerbil could have been the lead in that would have made a crap ton of money.

Still it is the highest grossing movie starring a woman in North America.

name a movie that didn't star a woman.....it feature heroine doesn't mean it's female-centric, rey wasn't appear on the screen until 10 min later.

Screenjunkies even categorised rey as supporting actress when they nominate her as best supporting actress of 2015 

It's silly to be open up the definition of female-centric film be so wide, easily making every movie be female-led. 

Hold the definition in strict sense  

Edited by titanic2187

Some Homecoming demographics:

There was always the notion that this Spider-Man would skew younger and ComScore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak supports that showing 43% under 18 in updated audience polls. Since Friday, the under 25 crowd swelled with females moving from 18% to 22%, the third best demo for Homecoming after guys under 25 (35%), men over 25 (24%) and also ahead of women 25+ (19%).

Overall total positive score is still a great 89% and  4 1/2 stars with a ton of walk-up business; 83% buying their tickets at the theater. This indicates that Homecoming is playing beyond the hardcore cinema-going audience. Forty-nine percent of Homecoming‘s audience was Caucasian, 24% Hispanic,  13% African American while 10% were Asian.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I like where you are going with this conversation. Don't pull out now...

The Big Dick can only grow into higher heights.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Why do so many people seem to gleefully enjoy when a franchise seems to be on its last legs commercially?  I don't mean here at BOT necessarily, but all over the net and across plenty of message boards, the schadenfreude  seems massive. I mean...how does it bother you that a film series that you don't enjoy continues making money? And why is it joyful to see said franchise stumble commercially?  People love hyperbolic statements like "Nobody gives a shit about those crappy Transformers movies anymore" and "Audiences have finally turned their backs on Pirates ; yay!!," but seriously, unless those films suddenly make 0 dollars, they still have fans that enjoy them and look forward to more stories. Is it because there is something inherently "wrong" about making blockbusters that critics don't like but a large segment of the public enjoys? I am still more meh  than anything else in regard to most of the stuff released by the MCU, but I have a hard time imagining myself actually enjoying if they suddenly started to get RT scores of under 30 % and diminishing returns at the box office. I would simply be...indifferent, I guess.  

What if a Wonder Woman movie was sexist, racist, had fart/pee jokes, confusing action scenes, headache inducing noise, annoyed critics and many lifelong fans, and was still a box office smash hit.

Wouldn't you cheer from the mountain tops when the series finally went down in flames?

This is a box office Forum to talk about box office.  You don't have to like it but it is interesting how hard Transformers has fallen from its predecessor. Just like it was an interesting to see Batman v Superman collapse after opening weekend or Age of Ultron make nowhere near what the first movie did domestically or Alice Through the Looking Glass bomb after its predecessor made a billion dollars. These are interesting stories.  It doesn't matter who is or who isn't gleeful that doesn't change the box office numbers.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

They probably have lots of stock in WB ;), and can't wait for 2nd quarter announcement.

• Like 1

The reason I'm glad Transformers is struggling is because every time a new one comes out we have a ton of people try to argue that ACTUALLY it's brilliant, misunderstood genius that anyone who doesn't like is either too dumb or too pretentious to appreciate. So obnoxious. It's the tip of the spear in the debate over reviews/reception and so-called "pretentiousness." I've made it pretty clear where I fall.

• Like 2

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

The reason I'm glad Transformers is struggling is because every time a new one comes out we have a ton of people try to argue that ACTUALLY it's brilliant, misunderstood genius that anyone who doesn't like is either too dumb or too pretentious to appreciate. So obnoxious. It's the tip of the spear in the debate over reviews/reception and so-called "pretentiousness." I've made it pretty clear where I fall.

But...  Cogman... Harriet Tubman...  Hitler?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

From what it looks like at the moment, for the summer

GOTG2 takes WW crown

WW takes DOM crown

SMH takes OS crown

Very amusing result

Everyone is happy in the end .. we can all sit and relax and sip a "Royal Crown"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Actually. There are people who enjoyed the others but agree this one was not good at all

Rey is the main protagonist in TFA. TFA is a female led film.

The same with Rogue One. Jyn is the main protagonist. Its a female led film.

Spoiler

Btw, The Last Jedi wont be female led or male led. All things cleary point to a droid led existencial drama.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

What if a Wonder Woman movie was sexist, racist, had fart/pee jokes, confusing action scenes, headache inducing noise, annoyed critics and many lifelong fans, and was still a box office smash hit.

Wouldn't you cheer from the mountain tops when the series finally went down in flames?

Fair enough.

Does that mean that you love the Transformers and would love for the TF films to have something different at their core?

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

83% were walkups?  That's fantastic

Thinking Spidey will have some nice legs. It's also encouraging that 43% were under 18 and males under 25 was its strongest demo which should bode well, since Apes and Dunkirk and maybe Valerian appeal to the older crowds.

• Like 1

I think it was Coolio who made a freaking perfect comparison: There's a scene in Burnt where Bradley Cooper goes on some rant about how the Big Mac is actually the perfect burger, and how it represents everything artistic about being a chef. That's how everyone sounds with these rants defending Bayhem. Fuck that shit b. Eat a real burger.

• Like 4

I think in the 3rd weekend SM's cume will fall behind WONDR. Right now is ahead by ~14.

WONDR weekdays were great but now in even more weekdays-friendly July, SM could match WONDR's weekdays more or less but take a much bigger hit in the weekends.

2nd weekend could be O/U 50 (-55%) compared to WONDR's 59.

3rd weekend could be 25-30 compared to WONDR's freaking 41. In fact Spidey's 3rd weekend will be close to WONDR's 4th weekend (25).

Edit: WONDR is a very rare run so not taking a dig at Spidey. Just is fun to compare. Spidey is doing great and beating expectations. Happy for it.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

I think in the 3rd weekend SM's cume will fall behind WONDR. Right now is ahead by ~14.

WONDR weekdays were great but now in even more weekdays-friendly July, SM could match WONDR's weekdays more or less but take a much bigger hit in the weekends.

2nd weekend could be O/U 50 (-55%) compared to WONDR's 59.

3rd weekend could be 25-30 compared to WONDR's freaking 41. In fact Spidey's 3rd weekend will be close to WONDR's 4th weekend (25).

To be fair WW had Father's Day on its side too for its third weekend.

I like the Fast and Furious movies and I know those aren't intelligent films and I know plenty of people hate those films as well and that's fine. But unlike the Transformers films I feel like there's some sort of heart in there and an effort that's being made. I don't even care about the Transformers IP at all but I don't like the Transformers movies solely as movies because I feel that there's soulless, crass, empty movies where you can feel the director's contempt for the IP and the audience.

Also outside of the first movie I think they're just not entertaining movies to me. I often get bored while watching them. I'm only talking about the second and third because I haven't tortured myself with the fourth and fifth one. I wouldn't cry if Transformers 5 had made 900 million worldwide. I can easily avoid the movies so I don't care that they exist necessarily but I don't think it's a good thing that they exist because I don't think that we should be encouraging Hollywood to make movies with no heart or soul. Again if they make another movie more power to the fans I hope you enjoy it. But nobody can force me to even morally support it.

• Like 3