CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

DC may very well end up having the 2 highest grossing superhero films dom this year.3 months ago that seemed unrealistic for both of their releases.

For this would  happen it woukd need to outgross Guardians 2,say earn 391M.If we consider the last film that opened in a similar date against Star Wars and its multy (2.74) (THG MJ 2) Justice League will need to open to something like 145M. 

Obviously the first JL film can go way higher and i believe Star Wars 8 will fall a bit from 7.That being said,as a comic book movie that carries some of the bad will from BvS (but also some goodwill  from WW?)maybe it won't make it to the 2.74 multy.

Edited by TheDarkKnightOfSteel
  • Like 1

Animation ranking 2017:

Lego Batman: B+/A-

Captain Underpants: B+

Boss Baby: B

Despicable Me 3: B-

Smurfs: C

Most of these were through babysitting.

12 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

I think this Pulls and Man of steel and fall just shy of 300 domestic 

As much as I love MOS, I think this will easily surpass $300M.

The word of Mouth and the RT is much stronger therefore the legs will be stronger as well.

Edited by Subzero
  • Like 1

While I love CBMS it's kind of sad that the only films that make $200M+ domestic nowadays are them, certain animated movies and Star Wars.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Subzero said:

The word of Mouth and the RT is much stronger therefore the legs will be stronger as well.

RT audience score is not budging below 92% for SM over Sat and Sun. Usually for fan-base heavy stuff, the initial audience score is inflated and starts falling. IDK at what score SM started on Friday, but couple of days has been stuck at 92%. That is great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Subzero said:

I just feel that fri-Sat drop does not indicate a 2.6-3x but more of a 2.4-2.5x 280-292

9 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

DC may very well end up having the 2 highest grossing superhero films dom this year.3 months ago that seemed unrealistic for both of their releases.

After WW, I think this is pretty much a given. I don't see JL going under $400M Dom, if anything WB learned from BvS.

Plus WW success will only help pushing it up further. Although I have a feeling Thor will surprise and may surpass Spidey Dom.

Dom only

1) JL

2) WW

3) GOTG2

4) Spidey/THOR3

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

RT audience score is not budging below 92% for SM over Sat and Sun. Usually for fan-base heavy stuff, the initial audience score is inflated and starts falling. IDK at what score SM started on Friday, but couple of days has been stuck at 92%. That is great.

This movie is fan Driven which is why it was front-loaded.

Edited by Brainiac5

12 minutes ago, YourMother said:

While I love CBMS it's kind of sad that the only films that make $200M+ domestic nowadays are them, certain animated movies and Star Wars.

True.

Apes buzz is looking low for 200+ and Dunkirk if opens to 35-40, will need more than 5x for 200.

So what movie non-cbm, non-animation, non-sw has a chance?

F8 did it with 225+. Probably some december movie like Jumanji will have to surprise huge or smth.

Stephen King's IT has a small chance. Else F8 will stay the only one to do 200+.

Focusing on originals, it's so creditable what Hidden Figures (technically 2016 release) and Get Out accomplished. As originals they have a great shot at being above a big ticket original like Dunkirk.

In 2018, Ready Player One has a shot.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

I just feel that fri-Sat drop does not indicate a 2.6-3x but more of a 2.4-2.5x 280-292

Will see what it does next weekend ... that will give us more of a feel going the rest of the way.

Perhaps someone can do a club for SPidey 2nd weekend vs. WW second weekend :D

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Hopefully there will be a major surprise this year...

valerian_and_the_city_of_a_thousand_plan

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, YourMother said:

To be fair, audiences have not that many other options. When something like Ben-Hur (2016) comes along, it mostly sucks. The last few years missed films like Inception or Super 8. Original non-superhero-non-animation-blockbusters are nearly extinct.

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

To be fair, audiences have not that many other options. When something like Ben-Hur (2016) comes along, it mostly sucks. The last few years missed films like Inception or Super 8. Original non-superhero-non-animation-blockbusters are nearly extinct.

Well they have three option in coming weeks. Let's see how much they got choosen.