CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

As to SM's chances at 3x+, Ant-Man (July 2015) with 3.15x will be a good comp.

July weekdays are so strong and take away from the weekend, that even Ant-Man had a not-so-small 56.5% 2nd weekend drop on it's way to 3.15x.

Then 3rd weekend fell ~49%.

If SM follows the same weekend drops as Ant-Man, the 2nd weekend will be 51 and 3rd weekend 26.

Edited by a2knet

There were only 6 SH movies this year compared to 100's of other movies. 

Next year theres gonna be 6-7 SH movies amongst hundreds others. Thats less than 10% of all movies. So lets not pretend that SH movies dominate the calendar with the 10's of movies every year. 

Sure they dominate the box office but the blame is not on the SH movies or the studios that make them either. Studios make movies that will make them a lot of money and that will pull in the crowd. If you wanna blame someone then blame the audiences that come out in droves to watch these SH movies

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Never said that they didn't. Totally agree. I just meant, I'd like to see more stuff breakout big that wasn't a widely known pre-existing brand.

As long as unknown stuff is still getting made I guess I just don't see the point in lamenting that it's not selling as many tickets as the superheroes. If people who see it love it and it turns a profit, that's all that really matters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

There were only 6 SH movies this year compared to 100's of other movies. 

Next year theres gonna be 6-7 SH movies amongst hundreds others. Thats less than 10% of all movies. So lets not pretend that SH movies dominate the calendar with the 10's of movies every year. 

Sure they dominate the box office but the blame is not on the SH movies or the studios that make them either. Studios make movies that will make them a lot of money and that will pull in the crowd. If you wanna blame someone then blame the audiences that come out in droves to watch these SH movies

They make up a much larger percentage of blockbuster movies, and have a tendency to dominate a lot of discussions online, which is probably why a lot of people are feeling burned out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

B/c you don't need to watch any other movie to enjoy this one...it's a "1st movie" for this cast and character...so, a "1st" movie multiple should be more realistic...

I don't think that's how it works.

3 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

They make up a much larger percentage of blockbuster movies, and have a tendency to dominate a lot of discussions online, which is probably why a lot of people are feeling burned out. 

But this burn out seems to be limited to boards likes these isnt it? General audiences do not feel burned out otherwise these movies wouldnt be doing as much business as they are. 

And would it be really fair to ask studios to stop making these movies or limit their numbers when they make them a huge amount of profit? As long as people watch these movies the studio will keep making them. They have no reason to stop

7 hours ago, The Panda said:

300m isn't locked yet, we have no idea what SMH legs will be like.  Chances are they'll be decent comic book legs, but people have been wrong about it before with MCU movies.

I'm currently predicting 2.7 / 2.8 for SMH, which is pretty standard for well-received MCU films. 

• Like 2

I certainly sympathize with being jaded by this forum's fixation on superheroes, but I guess I'm used to my movies of interest being marginalized and crapped upon if people think they're worth talking about at all. Ultimately it's probably better for your health to just wait things out and get your hipster cred when the movie's released and everyone else loves it too

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, baumer said:

Me too lol. Domestic looks like it's going to end around 2:20 so it needs close to $800 to pass the billion mark. That would truly be incredible. It would also make @James a genius when he said that the minions and Despicable Me is much more suited to an international audience than it is to a North American one.

Despicable Me was huge in North America as well, I just think Minions reception and franchise fatique hurt it, which is usually the case. 

2 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Why are people expecting a WWII movie set in France to outgross Interstellar at the US box office? 

Easier to sell a World War flick in the US than something like Interstellar. And, plays very counter to essentially everything else that released this summer and is going to release this summer. Should do very, very well if received well by audiences.

29 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

But this burn out seems to be limited to boards likes these isnt it? General audiences do not feel burned out otherwise these movies wouldnt be doing as much business as they are. 

And would it be really fair to ask studios to stop making these movies or limit their numbers when they make them a huge amount of profit? As long as people watch these movies the studio will keep making them. They have no reason to stop

It helps that the genre has produced a lot of really good films recently. The burnout would be much more substantial if they weren't. Just look at all the failed sequels/franchise-starters in recent months.   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

It helps that the genre has produced a lot of really good films recently. The burnout would be much more substantial if they weren't. Just look at all the failed sequels/franchise-starters in recent months.   

One might call this the golden year of CBMovies in their golden era. Logan, Lego Batman, Wonder Woman, GotG Vol2, SP:H - all very very well received.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Easier to sell a World War flick in the US than something like Interstellar. And, plays very counter to essentially everything else that released this summer and is going to release this summer. Should do very, very well if received well by audiences.

Have to disagree. Easier to sell big VFX for outer space stuff than trying to convince Americans to show up for a war movie with no Americans in it. Nolan himself has said this is a British movie that needed an American mega budget and that's why it has never been attempted at this scale before. Nobody else in the past had either the studio power or the guts to try it. I think it's the riskiest movie he has ever made and we will see how it goes. Very good chance WB loses money on it. 

1 hour ago, Subzero said:

As much as I love MOS, I think this will easily surpass $300M.

The word of Mouth and the RT is much stronger therefore the legs will be stronger as well.

Im not so sure. I think most people either like or hate the actor playing peter parker. IMO hes annoying. Also the marketing for this film didnt help at all. Most people watching the trailers believe they saw way too much plot and way too much Ironman.

13 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

One might call this the golden year of CBMovies in their golden era. Logan, Lego Batman, Wonder Woman, GotG Vol2, SP:H - all very very well received.

I can't disagree with that... And, honestly, Valerian, Kingsman, Thor and Justice look to be well received as well. Wave of awesomeness will crest with Black Panther... Then, it will get interesting.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer