CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

7 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

IMO she is 2 for 2 of the movies she's produced. :)

Pascal stepping down as head of Sony Pictures was a blessing in disguise given how Sony has been doing since she left with the exception of Baby Driver and Spider-Man.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Same for most MCU films though.

Yea which is why most MCU films (unless their sequels) have pretty good legs. 

Like im gonna give Kevin Feige his due when it comes to that. He's managed to take all these Marvel characters and given them their own universe but also managed to bring them together and create an Avengers universe. Dude is a damn genius 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Sony-Marvel’s “Spider-Man: Homecoming” is flying high — heading for at least $100 million in its opening weekend at 4,348 North American locations, early estimates showed Friday.

Friday grosses for “Spider-Man: Homecoming” should top $40 million, which includes Thursday night previews with $15.4 million at 3,493 North American sites 

I'll give Deadline some credit in saying that sometimes they are (and quite a bit lately they have been) spot on with their projections for previews and weekend gross. And even if they're off, I still enjoy their updates because it provides fodder for discussion, and can make for exciting threads when the numbers keep going up, hehe.

But clearly they have been quite off so far with Spidey (with previews). And they seem to give clues with their write-ups this weekend that they aren't very confident - perhaps some films are more difficult to project with a lack of viable comparisons. We haven't really had a lot of big superheroes open in July, surprisingly. Their line:

Homecoming looks to clear between $42M-$45M with last night representing 34%-37% of that figure

is strangely written. It is looking to "clear" $42-45M? Then what is the purpose of the range if it isn't looking to fall in that range, but rather clear it? Just poorly written or awkwardly trying to cover all their bases?

I will say that even the top end of that range ($45M for Friday) would represent a very frontloaded opening day in terms of the share of opening day from previews. Specifically, if $45M is the Friday number, then previews would represent 34.2% of opening day. Comparing to some examples below, that seems pretty frontloaded.

Either Deadline is underestimating the day (I surmise that the Friday number ends up closer to $50 million). Or else the film ultimately does prove to be more frontloaded. We do have a lack of recent comparisons in July, which is the reason why I was comparing to Ant-Man earlier (despite its relatively small opening weekend compared to the big superheroes). It could be that a July opening and a big superhero like Spidey within the MCU makes for a more frontloaded opening weekend than I expected. But who knows... still really early numbers, I could be saying all of this for naught. Let's see what happens. :)  

Preview Grosses for Some Comic Book Films and the Share of Opening Day

Title / Preview Gross / Share of Opening Day

The Dark Knight Rises (2012) — 30.6 million (40.4%)

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) — 27.7 million (34.0%)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) — 27.6 million (32.7%)

Captain America: Civil War (2016) — 25 million (33.1%)

Suicide Squad (2016) — 20.5 million (31.6%)

Marvel's The Avengers (2012) — 18.7 million (23.1%)

The Dark Knight (2008) — 18.5 million (27.5%)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) — 17 million (30.2%)

Iron Man 3 (2013) — 15.6 million (22.7%)

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) — 15.4 million (34.2% - IF $45M is Friday number)

Deadpool (2016) — 12.7 million (26.8%)

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) — 11.2 million (29.6%)

Wonder Woman (2017) — 11 million (28.3%)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) — 10.2 million (27.6%)

Doctor Strange (2016) — 9.4 million (28.8%)

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) — 8.7 million (24.7%)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Guardians and Wonder Woman both well exceeded their early Friday estimates, weekend estimates by $20M+ each. Spidey will do the same. Presakes showed a $10M+ preview number, actual preview $15M+. Walk ups made a huge difference. These numbers are entirely based on matinees solely on the east coast and presales. Not buying anything until Rth or Deadline update us around midnight PT.

All of this. :bravo:

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I agree that it's likely going to increase from these early numbers, but y'all gotta stop assuming movies will always have giant jumps from estimates. It doesn't always work that way, even for well-received ones. 

Don't listen to the DC Stan. He's just trying to deflate our MCU madness. :P

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

Yea which is why most MCU films (unless their sequels) have pretty good legs. 

Like im gonna give Kevin Feige his due when it comes to that. He's managed to take all these Marvel characters and given them their own universe but also managed to bring them together and create an Avengers universe. Dude is a damn genius 

I wonder if Fox might consider doing a similar deal with the Fantastic Four, they're never giving up the X-Men but I think a Fox/Marvel Studios co-production could be viable. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I agree that it's likely going to increase from these early numbers, but y'all gotta stop assuming movies will always have giant jumps from estimates. It doesn't always work that way, even for well-received ones. 

Yeah and it kind irks me the wrong way for people to already be making fun of the outlets numbers when for all we know they're right.

If anything, they at least have data and a better idea on how it's playing in theaters currently than anyone on here.  Saying they're way off is making a silly assumption.

• Like 3

PSA:

Just remember folks. 

Tele is a disgruntled former Disney employee. 

SMH has the MCU/Disney branding on it. 

Therefore Tele will find a way to make the numbers seem worse than they are OR try to deflate the rush that us MCU fans are experiencing right now over this movie. 

Dont let Tele ruin the experience. Resist. 

:ph34r:

• Like 7