CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

Considering Deadline under-estimated previews and had to go 10=>13=>15.4, it would be logical to assume they would not make the same mistake with OD predictions and if anything, try to err in the opposite direction to compensate for the previews under-estimation.

Edited by a2knet

16 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Don't listen to the DC Stan. He's just trying to deflate our MCU madness. :P

He could be right and means to bring reason but I seem to recall him pegging Guardians Vol. 2 at $115M to $120M after Deadline/Variety/THR chimed in early on its OD. 

Also, let's not forget, Wonder Woman's way too early numbers pointed to an $80M to $85M OW.

Spidey could come in between $105M and $115M... Personally still see it coming in at $125M to$140M until Deadline or Rth report different early in the AM.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Yeah and it kind irks me the wrong way for people to already be making fun of the outlets numbers when for all we know they're right.

If anything, they at least have data and a better idea on how it's playing in theaters currently than anyone on here.  Saying they're way off is making a silly assumption.

In this case they were already off by more than 50% yesterday

Even after the official number today they've provided projections off that from  $95-120m+  - almost a  30% spread with the caveat numbers could change.  It's not even 5pm on the East cOast

I hardly thinking joking about it is out of order.

• Like 2

I don't understand the hate for deadline like who cares how early they release their numbers it gives us something to discuss. Like regardless of what they say the numbers will come out what they are whether it be higher or lower in this case I fully expect something closer to 50M for the day but seriously think about it what would we be discussing if we never got these early estimates. This is a box office site after all.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Considering Deadline under-estimated previews and had to go 10=>13=>15.4, it would be logical to assume they would not make the same mistake with OD predictions and if anything, try to err in the opposite direction to compensate for the previews under-estimation.

Yeah. They wildly underestimated preview numbers at 9PM EST. These estimates from the trades today are from 3PM to 4PM EST.

11 minutes ago, Nova said:

PSA:

Just remember folks. 

Tele is a disgruntled former Disney employee. 

SMH has the MCU/Disney branding on it. 

Therefore Tele will find a way to make the numbers seem worse than they are OR try to deflate the rush that us MCU fans are experiencing right now over this movie. 

Dont let Tele ruin the experience. Resist. 

:ph34r:

Tele is the Disney version of WeneedtotalkaboutKevin.... 😂

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 3

• Community Manager
10 minutes ago, Nova said:

PSA:

Just remember folks. 

Therefore Tele will find a way to make the numbers seem worse than they are OR try to deflate the rush that us MCU fans are experiencing right now over this movie. 

He isn't disgruntled. He is just upset they cancelled the show he was working on before it properly concluded. It ended on a freaking cliffhanger. Do you know how frustrating that is?

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Where are @EmpireCity and @Rth? 

They're waiting for more showtimes. It's 5PM on the east coast. Night shows haven't even gotten started out. 

Which is why its funny that folks think it's weird that we are making fun of the early numbers. Like those early numbers are coming from east coast matinees. 

EmpireCity will be the first to tell you that those numbers could very well go any which way because the day just started. ESPECIALLY for films as big as ones like SMH. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nova said:

PSA:

Just remember folks. 

Let The FLAME  War begin :flamewar:

Meltdown alert, this thread will be lockdown ....meltdown alert... :dbz:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

He could be right and means to bring reason but I seem to recall him pegging Guardians Vol. 2 at $115M to $120M after Deadline/Variety/THR chimed in early on its OD. 

FWIW I had GOTG2's OW at 138 in the summer game. Not great, but not a wild underprediction either. :) 

Just now, Nova said:

They're waiting for more showtimes. It's 5PM on the east coast. Night shows haven't even gotten started out. 

Which is why its funny that folks think it's weird that we are making fun of the early numbers. Like those early numbers are coming from east coast matinees. 

EmpireCity will be the first to tell you that those numbers could very well go any which way because the day just started lol 

It's like that never happened before, like we were all sure about how WW wouldn't go above $100m or something. 

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

He isn't disgruntled. He is just upset they cancelled the show he was working on before it properly concluded. It ended on a freaking cliffhanger. Do you know how frustrating that is?

No because I've unfortunately never had the opportunity to work on a Tv show but yes because as a fan of entertainment I would hate for a show that I liked to end on a cliff hanger. 

• Like 3

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It's notoriously difficult to predict previews and OW days for movies with large presale numbers -- because there's no breakdown about which presales are for which day. 

Looks like they need to update their systems to get that breakdown.