CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

1 minute ago, DealWithIt said:

Leave Deadline alone! They give us way too early numbers that are nothing but the East Coast matinees and somehow project that to the number for the day but damn it, leave 'em alone! 

And it generates 60% of the conversation in the weekend threads. Then it's 20% Deadline Backlash and 20% ratings.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Then I have a long list of problems with someone.

This long?

On 2/11/2013 at 6:59 PM, Telemachos said:

iJack:

I realize that everyone is entitled to his opinion, and I respect this. I also hope that you will all respect mine as you read this letter. Let us note first of all that the blatant ignorance and social maladjustment of Mr. Sam Raimi's magic-bullet explanations will deface property with racially and sexually derogatory epithets and offensive symbols any day now. Sadly, lack of space prevents me from elaborating further. Raimi relies heavily on "useful idiots", that is, people who unwittingly do Raimi's dirty work for him. Without his swarms of useful idiots, Raimi would not have been able to conceal the fact that he has long been getting away with achieving total world domination. I urge all of my beautiful and loyal fans to walk with me side-by-side as we march up the steps of justice to right this unconscionable wrong and prove to the world that you don't need me to tell you that Raimi's sick-minded dream is starting to come true. Liberties are being killed by attrition. Unilateralism is being installed by accretion. The only way that we can reverse these lickerish trends is to knock some sense into Raimi. To be precise, his fusillades may have been conceived in idealism, but they quickly degenerated into disorganized nativism.

Raimi may legitimize the fear and hatred of the privileged for the oppressed right after he reads this letter. Let him. In the near future, I will honor our nation's glorious mosaic of cultures and ethnicities. It has been revealed that he plans to hijack the word "contradistinctive" and use it to change the course of history. First reaction yields that perusing the membership of his coterie is like taking a tour of Dick Tracy's Rogue's Gallery. A little more thought leads to the more accurate conclusion that Raimi is trying to commit confrontational, in-your-face acts of violence, intimidation, and incivility. His mission? To infringe upon our most important constitutional rights.

I don't want to overstate this point, but Raimi is trapped in a vicious cycle. The more opposition to his suggestions he faces, the more dictatorial he becomes. The more dictatorial he becomes, the more opposition to his suggestions he faces. Just don't expect consistency from a man who is completely and unquestionably slimy. If Raimi could have one wish, he'd wish for the ability to ridicule, parody, censor, and downgrade opposing ideas. Then, people the world over would be too terrified to acknowledge that Raimi's pals contend that the purpose of life is self-gratification. I say to them, "Prove it"—not that they'll be able to, of course, but because I shall be blamed by ignorant persons when I say that I avoid the most unconscionable storytellers you'll ever see like the plague. Cruel as that maxim may appear, his favorite tactic is known as "deceiving with the truth". The idea behind this tactic is that Raimi wins our trust by revealing the truth but leaving some of it out. This makes us less likely to discuss the advantages of two-parent families, the essential role of individual and family responsibility, the need for uniform standards of civil behavior, and the primacy of the work ethic.

Statements like, "Raimi's virtual absence of intellectual self-critique may be a source of his insistence that war is peace, freedom is slavery, and ignorance is strength" accurately express the feelings of most of us here. Since Raimi claims to know more than the rest of us, I'm sure he's aware that people often get the impression that pea-brained, appalling nincompoops and Raimi's apparatchiks are separate entities. Not so. When one catches cold, the other sneezes. As proof, note that many of the ribald parvenus I've encountered are convinced that it's illegal to establish democracy and equality—or, if it isn't illegal, then it ought to be. This view is self-centered by any stretch of the imagination and reflects how many people respond to Raimi's footling, spleenful prophecies in much the same way that they respond to television dramas. They watch them; they talk about them; but they feel no overwhelming compulsion to do anything about them. That's why I insist we report as best as possible the facts and circumstances surrounding Raimi's impulsive views.

I receive a great deal of correspondence from people all over the world. One of the things that impresses me about all of it is the massive number of people who realize that unlike Raimi, when I make a mistake I'm willing to admit it. Consequently, if—and I'm bending over backwards to maintain the illusion of "innocent until proven guilty"—he were not actually responsible for trying to acquire power and use it to indoctrinate philopolemical, sneaky Zoilists, then I'd stop saying that Raimi makes a living out of classism. I call this tactic of his "entrepreneurial classism". Raimi and his comrades have certainly raised entrepreneurial classism to a fine art by using it to pander to our worst fears. I have seen what Raimi is capable of, and I am afraid. I am very afraid and I am very angry. He doesn't want us to do something good for others. He would rather we settle for the meatless bone of presentism.

Raimi wants you to believe that representative government is an outmoded system that should be replaced by a system of overt ruffianism. You should be wary of such claims. Be aware! Be skeptical! Think! Do not be diverted, deceived, or mesmerized by Raimi's temperamental, fatuitous expedients.

When I look back I think, "Raimi's arguments don't even prove his point." Now let's go back to what I was saying earlier about how my life's work is to draw a picture of what we conceive of under the word "individualistic". As I previously stated, in asserting that human rights can best be protected by suspending them altogether, Raimi demonstrates an astounding narrowness of vision.

We can never return to the past. And if we are ever to move forward to the future, we indeed have to debunk the nonsense spouted by Raimi's loyalists. Were he alive today, Hideki Tojo would be Raimi's most trustworthy ally. I can see Tojo joining forces with Raimi to help him take us all back to the Stone Age. For heaven's sake, he looks down upon the rest of us. From Raimi's perspective, we are blind so he must tell us what to see; we are deaf so he must tell us what to hear; and we are mute so he must tell us what to say. Such views may fool acrimonious, repressive idiots, but I maintain that Raimi should stop protesting against his weaknesses and shortcomings. Rather, he should forgive himself for them and seek to strengthen himself by facing his crapulous, malicious fears. Then, perhaps, Raimi would stop distorting the facts.

Raimi should pay for his mistakes. But there is a further-reaching implication: If his plan to base racial definitions on lineage, phrenological characteristics, skin hue, and religion is to be discouraged then the wisest course of action is to move as expeditiously as possible to help people break free of Raimi's cycle of oppression. Before we start down that road I ought to remind you that his calumnies are not pedantic treatises expressing theories or extravaganzas dealing in fables or fancies. They are substantial, sober outpourings from the very soul of triumphalism.

While some of Raimi's maneuvers are very attractive on the surface and are unequivocally entertaining, they ultimately serve to make bigotry respectable. Raimi insists that he is a voice of probity. This fraud, this lie, is just one among the thousands he perpetrates. When people see balmy wisenheimers behaving like balmy wisenheimers they begin to realize that according to Raimi, we should all bear the brunt of his actions. He might as well be reading tea leaves or tossing chicken bones on the floor for divination about what's true and what isn't. Maybe then Raimi would realize that we doubtlessly can't afford to let him focus too much on one side of the equation and not enough on the broader perspective of things. What I'm suggesting is that we address the legitimate anger, fear, and alienation of people who have been mobilized by Raimi because they saw no other options for change. That's the key to supplying the missing ingredient that could stop the worldwide slide into sciolism, and it's the only way that most people will ever learn that we've all heard Raimi yammer and whine about how he's being scapegoated again, the poor dear. Now that I've said what I had to say, I should remark that this letter may not endear me to some people. Indeed, it may even cost me a friend or two. However, friends do not let friends get trampled by daffy liars and cheats like Mr. Sam Raimi. The truth is the truth and we pay a steep price whenever we ignore it.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Hater... Why are grades for SM1 and SM2 so low? :ohmyzod:

Because they aren't quite as good as Watchmen, Deadpool and TDK. :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

I do also think an 8% drop is optimistic in that prediction - this would mean a Saturday increase of 34.8% from Spidey's True Friday in this instance.  It is important, IMHO, to consider it sans previews. Ant-Man increased 20% from True Friday, so I think that would be a good target for Spidey.

Someone asked, I think it was with Wonder Woman, about whether it is usual for comic book films in the summer to increase 30+% on Saturday. It seems unusual, I think, for a July release to increase that much on Saturday from True Friday. But who knows... Spidey could surprise with a strong Saturday because it is kid friendly and likely riding good WOM. But I don't personally expect such a large increase.

Approximate Saturday Increases/Decreases from True Fridays (Sans Previews) for Comic Book Films that Opened May-August (Not an Exhaustive List)

Spider-Man: +34% (May)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: +31% (May)

Wonder Woman: +29% (June)

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: +25% (May)

Captain America: Civil War: +21% (May)

Ant-Man: +20% (July)

Iron Man 3: +17% (May)

Guardians of the Galaxy: +16% (August)

X-Men: Apocalypse: +13% (May - Memorial Day Weekend)

Marvel's The Avengers: +12% (May)

X-Men: Days of Future Past: +7% (May - Memorial Day Weekend)

Iron Man 2: +5% (May)

Thor: +5% (May)

Man of Steel: +4% (June)

Spider-Man 3: +3% (May)

Captain America: The First Avenger: +1% (July)

The Dark Knight Rises: -0.5% (July)

Avengers: Age of Ultron: -0.5% (May)

The Dark Knight: -2% (July)

Suicide Squad: -13% (August)

Peace,

Mike

The kid friendly stuff is near the top.

What a coincidence.

52 minutes ago, Rth Homecoming said:

Couple hours ago had SMH  46 with top end 48.5

Thanks, SMH will play great with families on Saturday. I fully expect a healthy jump.

46M

46M

39M

129M OW

3 hours ago, druv10 said:

Thanks, SMH will play great with families on Saturday. I fully expect a healthy jump.

46M

46M

39M

129M OW

So Spider-man is going to jump more than any other opener in this history of openers, on it's first Saturday?  50%?  :redcapes:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DealWithIt said:

Then just wait to report the more accurate numbers instead of being the punchline of the joke yet again. 

$42 million off of a $15 million preview number. What else are you supposed to do except laugh at that asinine projection? Anybody with any semblance of how these numbers tend to work knows that is a joke of a projection for the day. 

Clearly you missed the point. If they didn't report anything what numbers would we be talking about in this thread? Who cares how absurd you might think the numbers are it gives us something to debate and talk about. If you don't like the numbers they announced fine but it gives everyone something to talk about whether if the numbers will go up what kind of break down the movie could have ect.

Villains 2017...

1. Vulture 

2. Lego Joker

3. Ego

4. Whoever those guys in Logan were meant to be (It didnt really matter to me though)

5. Ares/German guy/Mask woman

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

44.6 (-8%)

35.7 (-20%)

128.8M Weekend

Similar drops to Wonder Woman even though the Preview-to-OD ratio is lower seems optimistic but hey, I'd love that number. I wish it did 50M OD though to keep it above 130m...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

The sum up a user's set of posts thread :).

Went to page 4 I believe and found it.  Wasn't too hard

Ok, well since you found that one, here is another cool one that we had back when ijack first came on board and I made a thread that said ASM would not make 200 million,.  I lost...here was my response:

Please join me as we remember the short but spirited life of ASM under 200 thread. We now now turn it over to Pastor iJack.

Dearly beloved

We are gathered here today

To pay our respects to this thing called ASM under 200 mill

Electric words UNDER 200 MILL

It means a massive disappointment and that's not good for Sony

But I'm here to tell you

There's something else

The possibility of 300 mill

A world of never ending happiness

You can always see the sun, day or night

So when u call up that shrink in Beverly Hills

U know the one - Dr Everything'll Be Alright

Instead of asking him how much time 200 mill has left, ask him why it was made in the first place

Ask him how much of your mind baby was really thinking clearly

'Cuz in this life

Things are much harder than in the afterworld

In this life

200 mill is on it's own

And if if get upset and de-elevator tries to bring you down

Go crazy - see Amazing Spider-man again!

And now we'll turn it over to our Church choir, the Purple Soggy Bottom Boys

If you don't like, the world that under 200 mill was living in

Take a look around you

At least the friends at Boxoffice.com remember you fondly.

You see, under 200 mill had some lady friends

And every time he called them on the phone for nothing but a friendly word

They would pick up the phone

Drop it on the floor

(300, 300) is all he heard

Are we gonna let de-elevator

Bring us down

Oh, no Let's Go!

Let's go crazy

Let's get nuts

Let's praise under 200 mill before they throw us in the truck.

Let's go!

We're all excited

But we don't know why

Maybe it's cuz

200 mill had to die

Now that it has

What's it all for?

300 better ;ive now

Before the grim reaper come knocking on your door

Tell me, are we gonna let de-elevator bring us down

Oh, no let's go!

Let's go crazy

200 mill was nuts

Look for 300 mill

'Til they throw us in the truck

C'mon baby

Let's get nuts

Yeah

Crazy

Let's go! 200 mill was crazy!

Are we gonna let de-elevator bring us down

Oh, no let's go!

200 mill was crazy!

I said 200 mill was crazy!

Let's go, let's go

Go

Let's go

Fullbsuter, Shriek, Grey Ghost say everything will be all right

No way anything goes wrong

Pills and thrills and dafodills will kill

Hang tough children

300's comin

It's coming

Coming

300 baby! Yea

Thanks you Purple Soggy Bottom Boys.

Now we'll have some words from those who knew Under 200 best.

Rallax:

You know, I didn't believe in the under 200 thread completely, but I was certainly there in spirit with him. He was so full of life and even made some good points. Ultimately, under 200 just couldn't overcome the loonies flocking to and loving a film that dishonors the memory it's predecessors. I'll miss the Under 200 thread. May he rest in peace.

iJack:

Hhahahahahaha....I won't miss the Under 200 thread. I told you since Day 1, as soon as I bought my Spiderman court room dress shoes, this had no chance at success. It was a really dumb thread. But the choir needs some schooling too. 300? HAHA! 400 is going to be hit bitches and it might even make a run for 450.

Shriekofthevulture:

This was the dumbest thread I've ever seen in my life. The thread creator is a moron as well. Good riddance. That's al I got to say about that.

Shawnmr:

I'm deeply saddened by the loss of the under 200 mill thread. He was well liked by his peers and his heart was in the right place. Sadly, I am in the minority on this. May God rest his soul.

This concludes our brief but emotional funeral for The Under 200 mill thread. May God bless you all and see you at the 300 mill celebration.

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/3679-asm2-u200m-funeral-and-eulogy-for-asm-is-pg-344-is-it-possible/

• Like 10