CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

8 minutes ago, Subzero said:

LOL Spiderman 3 don't count ;)

That was at the popularity of Spidey, and yet that didn't touch $600M ...

8 Years ago a spider-man film would have never done more than $100M in china, something that SMH will do with ease...

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 did great but I think that it's International box office potential was overstated.

*Waits for someone to scream about exchange rates and ignore that Beauty and the Beast and Fast and Furious had the same exchange rates*

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Subzero said:

Marvel  in the end get the merchandising returns, which in the long run I think it's a better deal and a win/win situation for both.

Marvel also gets to use Spidey in lots of MCU films which makes their fanbase happy and sells more tickets for Marvel Studios.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 did great but I think that it's International box office potential was overstated.

*Waits for someone to scream about exchange rates and ignore that Beauty and the Beast and Fast and Furious had the same exchange rates*

Some big markets, like south america and asia, don't like space/fantasy movies very much.

See Star Wars and Star Trek.

With good numbers over there, Guardians Vol.2 could have cleared close to 1B WW.

Edited by The Futurist

2 minutes ago, raulbalarezo said:

8 Years ago a spider-man film would have never done more than $100M in china, something that SMH will do with ease...

Well hopefully it does, and if it does get to 1B worldwide ...

Iron Man will gets the credit for being in every Marvel Movie that made over 1B LOL :D

7 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Nicole Kidman is so awesome in The Beguiled. So evil and fun. She really elevates the movie. I want it to do well just for her. Her face during the mushroom dinner scene alone is worth the price of admission. 

Image result for nicole kidman the beguiled gif saw

She's one hell of an actress, got the beauty, wit and acting talent to go along with it.

Loved her in The Others .. will check out the Beguiled. Not sure what Tom cruise was thinking ....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Some big markets, like south america and asia, don't like space/fantasy movies very much.

See Star Wars and Star Trek.

With good numbers over there, Guardians Vol.2 could have cleared close to 1B WW.

You make a good point, those are tough areas for a Space adventure to do well in. I don't think that any one factores that into their predictions though I sure didn't because I thought it probably was going to do a billion.

I'm not that great at international box office though. I defer to the people on here who are.

19 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Flip it and reverse it. 

Marvel get to use Spidey in Avengers films where they get the return. 

Eh, those would have been as big without SM.  Currently Sony definitely needed Marvel more on the film front.  It's right there in the leaked e-mails.

It's mostly about protecting their flagship character and SM brand which was being tarnished under Sony and all the attendant billions in merchandising sales.

Feige of course gets a producer's fee and maybe participation points and according to some reports in Variety there may be some B.O. milestone bonuses that go to Marvel.

• Like 2

Just got back from watching SM:H. Theater was about 75% full. Lots of showings for it though. WW still had one showing going on, and it was nearly sold out, but in a small theater.

The audience was meh. A couple of chuckles now and again. I thought it dragged here and there, and there weren't any "F**-YEAH!!" moments or anything that memorable. Keaton was great--reminds me that I need to see Birdman still. Couple plot problems bothered me, and Spiderman's constant chatter started getting on my nerves. I kind of wished it had more gravitas; there was a scene mid-way that really piqued my interest because I thought it was going to go one way, but it played it safe and totally didn't so it really turned vanilla for me. Also it suffered from the "everything could have been resolved by some communication" trope.

I listened to Stuckmann's review on the way home, and he pretty much summarized it for me. I give it a solid B. I think it's going to have a really good OW, but I wouldn't be surprised if its legs are just ok. OS I imagine will be quite good.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Subzero said:

There hasn't been a single Spiderman entry that has gross more than $510M OS.

I think the Amazing-Spiderman 2 was closest to it .... so max I see it doing is $600M OS, plus $360DOM .. (This is MAx)

But I still hold that it will do under $900M ....

Wrong !

Spider Man3 grossed $554m+ overseas in 2006, without 3D and without an expanded chinese market.

I definitely believe had it been a great movie with a 4th sequel two years later, a Raimi Spiderman4 would have been the one hitting $1b worldwide effortlessly before TDK, which had been rereleased worldwide a few months after vbeing out of the theaters to give it the ultimate boost to hit $1b.

Spider Man has always been a monster overseas regardless of the movie being good or not.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, raulbalarezo said:

even if JL is bad it will be bigger domestic thanks to fanbase and ww reception

Jury is still out on JL. I could easily see it just crawling over 300m