CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

It should open to at least 40+ mln, otherwise you can shut down every idiot who complains about Hollywood not making original movies and at the same doesn't support them, even with the cast and director this huge.

Edited by Firepower

$30M+ for an R-rated, over 2.5 hour long adult dramedy in late July would be a nice start, especially since WOM will likely be strong and it'll have a nice month long stretch of zero major competition (The Kitchen will likely make similar numbers to Widows) after its second weekend.

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

$30M+ for an R-rated, over 2.5 hour long adult dramedy in late July would be a nice start, especially since WOM will likely be strong and it'll have a nice month long stretch of zero major competition (The Kitchen will likely make similar numbers to Widows) after its second weekend.

Considering Tarantino recent non holidays release legs (tend to be about 3.2) and recent oversea multiplier (about 1.6), a 30M start could be pushed to 100m and make 260m, without China.

Would feel underwhelming if it play like that imo. Bastard made 38m in August 2009 and was an R-rated /2h32 non studio release. That said Nazy are powerful.

Edited by Barnack

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Considering Tarantino recent non holidays release legs (tend to be about 3.2) and recent oversea multiplier (about 1.6), a 30M start could be pushed to 100m and make 260m, without China.

Would feel underwhelming if it play like that imo.

That's my feeling also. Yes 30m OW would be amazing numbers for any 2.5 hour R dramedy that doesn't have all of QT-Brad-Leo and a 90-100m budget. If 30m is all they can manage then everyone else should pack it up for Netflix already.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, filmlover said:

$30M+ for an R-rated, over 2.5 hour long adult dramedy in late July would be a nice start

For Tarantino-Leo-Pitt-Robbie movie it's not nice at all. It would be nice for late December release, like Django Unchained, because Christmas release would mean huge multiplier.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Firepower said:

For Tarantino-Leo-Pitt-Robbie movie it's not nice at all. It would be nice for late December release, like Django Unchained, because Christmas release would mean huge multiplier.

I mean isn't August basically the other time of year where movies can be allowed long legs? Crazy Rich Asians had insane holds its first few weeks, Mission: Impossible held great throughout the month, and The Meg ended up making more than 3x its big opening despite being tepidly-received last year. Plus August looks to be especially devoid of releases that will make waves this year besides Hobbs & Shaw that first weekend.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I mean isn't August basically the other time of year where movies can be allowed long legs? Crazy Rich Asians had insane holds its first few weeks, Mission: Impossible held great throughout the month, and The Meg ended up making more than 3x its big opening despite being tepidly-received last year. Plus August looks to be especially devoid of releases that will make waves this year besides Hobbs & Shaw that first weekend.

All these are true but 30m is still too low of a start. Even with a 4x multiplier which is far from easy, that OW barely gets it to Inglourious Basterds total. No one says it 'll be a flop but I don't believe Sony expectations for this is to do what IB did 10 years ago.

• Like 1

Just now, Joel M said:

All these are true but 30m is still too low of a start. Even with a 4x multiplier which is far from easy, that OW barely gets it to Inglourious Basterds total. No one says it 'll be a flop but I don't believe Sony expectations for this is to do what IB did 10 years ago.

It's early tracking and this movie will definitely skew older for the most part (Rocketman and Yesterday both came close or surpassed their tracking aiming at a similar audience just this summer). Personally I think it'll open closer to $40M like Leo's The Revenant did when it went wide in early 2016.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Movie will have tons of free coverage from tabloids.

Assuring success

51WaaGUdBKL.jpg

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Personally I think it'll open closer to $40M

Making you a member of the team $30M would be on the low side for this.

Edited by Barnack

Just now, The Futurist said:

Can't beat the Leo got sodomizef by a bear headlines I ll give you that :

the only reasonable explanation of why a looooong, meditative, violent western made blockbuster numbers in 2015.

also people were hyping it as leo's for sure Oscar winner. he was really thirsty for that statue