CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

i have not watched the video, but tarantino can give how much dialogue he wants to his characters. it;s his movie. it's ridiculous that a reporter tells tarantino how to write his movie. if ya don't like it too bad, he can make her mute for all i care. it's his movie....his choice

Edited by Alli

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

it's just asking about a creative choice in the film. whether it was antagonistic i don't know, it doesn't necessarily need to be taken with a negative intent, i'd be curious about that too. there's some validity there for sure. i'm sure there's a better answer than jake's "quentin knows best!"

More annoying than her question is the response to his answer. "I reject your hypothesis" is pretty goddamn tame. 

5 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Okay, tell me...what do you think the purpose of that question was? The question was meant to imply that Tarantino did some kind of "wrong" by the biggest female character in the film. But why is giving her character less dialogue than the rest a "wrong?" Why should he have to beef up a character whose purpose clearly eluded the interviewer? 

These are not questions you ask a filmmaker at a press conference, particularly not a filmmaker who, for all of his past missteps, has made it a point of propping up female characters and heroes in many of his films. This question was a loaded "gotcha" with the intention of calling him out for some perceived misogyny that doesn't exist. It's bullshit from a person who only has social politics on the brain.  

Is it you reading/implying that female has anything here ?

Or just was there an artistic choice by having a major characther in the story played my a major actor having so few dialogue but a lot of screentime, that would have been asked regardless of the gender ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Alli said:

i have not watched the video, but tarantino can give how much dialogue he wants to his characters. it;s his movie. it's ridiculous that a reporter tells tarantino how to write his movie. if ya don't like it too bad, he can make her mute for all i care. it's his movie....his choice

i just watched the video. the reporter does not tell tarantino how to write a movie. you're arguing against a point nobody has made.

10 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Okay, tell me...what do you think the purpose of that question was? The question was meant to imply that Tarantino did some kind of "wrong" by the biggest female character in the film. But why is giving her character less dialogue than the rest a "wrong?" Why should he have to beef up a character whose purpose clearly eluded the interviewer? 

These are not questions you ask a filmmaker at a press conference, particularly not a filmmaker who, for all of his past missteps, has made it a point of propping up female characters and heroes in many of his films. This question was a loaded "gotcha" with the intention of calling him out for some perceived misogyny that doesn't exist. It's bullshit from a person who only has social politics on the brain.  

Tarantino is practically known for his dialogue. He has 2 best oscar wins for screenplay.  The journalist said nothing about her being a female character or misogyny.  That's what you seem to have be inferring from the question but it was not there.  MOST people including myself, thought Sharon Tate would be a big role in the film considering it was initially billed as a Manson Murder film and much noise was made about Robbie's casting.  According to a review I read, Margot Robbie really doesn't have much dialogue, and even many scenes she is in she doesn't speak. It's a fair question to ask why a director renown for his dialogue and writing would make the choice to not have her character speak much in the film, especially when casting an actress of Robbie's caliber. This is such an obvious question to ask. You seem to be judging the journalist because god forbid a female journalist ask a question about a female character in the film. Press conferences or for journalists to ask questions about the film. If Tarantino does not want to be asked question about choices he made he should not be having press conferences. 

If Tarantino did not answer the question the way he did nobody would be talking about it now. But instead of answering the question like a normal adult he answered it like an emotionally stunted one. Thankfully Robbie was there to redeem him. I ❤️ her. 

Anyway I don't want to clog up this thread. I think I'll stop talking about it now. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Is it you reading/implying that female has anything here ?

Or just was there an artistic choice by having a major characther in the story played my a major actor having so few dialogue but a lot of screentime, that would have been asked regardless of the gender ?

If you're saying that the interviewer would've asked that question if the character were male...I somehow doubt it. But fair point, certainly possible. Regardless of gender politics it's a dumb question. 

isn't this movie fantasy?  the events didn't happen like in the movie. leo and pitt's characters never existed or interacted with tate.   this movie is not a biopic. so tarantino can give how much dialogue he wants....it's made up anyway

Edited by Alli

Just now, ban1o said:

Tarantino is practically known for his dialogue. He has 2 best oscar wins for screenplay.  The journalist said nothing about her being a female character or misogyny.  That's what you seem to have be inferring from the question but it was not there.  MOST people including myself, thought Sharon Tate would be a big role in the film considering it was initially billed as a Manson Murder film and much noise was made about Robbie's casting.  According to a review I read, Margot Robbie really doesn't have much dialogue, and even many scenes she is in she doesn't. It's a fair question to ask why a director renown for his dialogue and writing would make the choice to not have her character speak much in the film, especially when casting an actress of Robbie's caliber. This is such an obvious question to ask. You seem to be judging the journalist because god forbid a female journalist ask a question about a female character in the film. Press conferences or for journalists to ask questions about the film. If Tarantino does not want to be asked question about choices he made he should not be having press conferences. 

If Tarantino did not answer the question the way he did nobody would be talking about it now. But instead of answering the question like a normal adult he answered it like an emotionally stunted one. Thankfully Robbie was there to redeem him. I ❤️ her. 

"A normal adult." Those pearls are gonna be dust if ya don't ease up. 

4 minutes ago, Alli said:

isn't this movie fantasy?  the events didn't happen like in the movie. leo and pitt's characters never existed or interacted with tate.   this movie is not a biopic. so tarantino can give how much dialogue he wants....it's made up anyway

You’re right I guess. Nobody should ever ask any director why they made any creative choice in their film because the answer should always be “I’m the director; why wouldn’t I make that choice?”

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I’m not even a Tarantino hater. I like all his films. I just think he’s a dick lol. Also I think the backlash on twitter is overblown but he did it to himself. People will be over it by the end of the week. 

Edited by ban1o

7 minutes ago, Alli said:

Well obviously Tarantino can give 0 dialogue to everyone, give all the dialogue to just one character narrating everyone, and it would be interesting question to ask him why that choice ? What is trying to be conveyed, the motivation, the inspiration for this. 

Asking why such a prominent use of red in a movie is not implying red should not have been used or that the director could not use red so much, same for the amount of dialogue a character has.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Well obviously Tarantino can give 0 dialogue to everyone, give all the dialogue to just one character narrating everyone, and it would be interesting question to ask him why that choice ? What is trying to be conveyed, the motivation, the inspiration for this. 

Asking why such a prominent use of red in a movie is not implying red should not have been used or that the director could not use red so much, same for the amount of dialogue a character has.

this is true, but i get the feeling tarantino felt attacked by the tone of the question and what it implies. that;s why his strange response,. i'm pretty sure tarantino is smart enough to come up wth a political correct response, even a bullshit one. i guess he was put on the spot and he reacted a little strange

Edited by Alli

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

This is currently at 94% with a 8.12 avg

Pulp Fiction at 92% - albeit with just 97 tracked reviews has a 9.17 avg so doubtful

oh wow I didn't realize Pulp Fiction had such a high average score. But yeah, films from before the internet are harder to compare. 

Edited by ban1o