CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

2 hours ago, Mekanos said:

It just depends on if star power can carry this movie. With Hobbs And Shaw you know exactly what you're getting, Johnson and Statham trading barbs, driving, shooting, and kicking ass. The trailers sell the product as much as they can. The trailers for Once Upon A Time have been conservative in my opinion. Maybe they're saving the Manson stuff as a huge spoiler, but I'm just not sure the GA cares enough to see this movie on the promise of "trust us, it'll be good because it's Tarantino." If it wasn't a Tarantino movie I doubt I would even see it just based on the trailers. 

Just because people want more original movies doesn't mean they'll just see any ol' original movie and hope it's good. Look at Us. Sold with a promising up-and-up director, good trailers and marketing, tons of buzz, it was a big hit. 

Rave reviews, Tarantino, DiCaprio and Pitt should easily get this over $100 million. All people should need to know is they’re getting a Quentin Tarantino movie. Which isn’t something that comes around very often. I don’t think the big sell even comes into this. 

Each to their own, but I see a new QT movie as a major event. When you add huge star power to it then it should easily be a hit. 

We’ll see what happens. They’ve no need to hope it’s good. They should know it’ll be worth their time based on his resume alone.  There are enough fans of his great movies to make this a hit. If they’re not going to come out then it’s a huge question mark as to why for me. 

If every success was dependent on selling the audience exactly what they expect and that’s the only way they’ll come then we’re all in trouble. 

Us appealed younger than this does. This is one for older audiences and I pray they come out. 

Good debate though. It’s all opinions. 

• Like 1

I will go see it this weekend,though I have mixed opinions about Tarantino.

I would like to see him try to make ONE ,just one, movie that is not rooted in some pop culture obsession of his. You know, sort of a Breadth requirement.

45 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I would like to see him try to make ONE ,just one, movie that is not rooted in some pop culture obsession of his. You know, sort of a Breadth requirement.

lol.

How would that work?

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

He's an auteur. Auteurs have a signature style and tone and aesthetic. Wish people would just accept that for Tarantino that means riffing on old movies. Thing is...his dialogue and plot twists are entirely original, so I don't really understand the complaints. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

I think it'll do 100m

funny i lowered the bar with my UNDER 100M club. but in fairness, this needs to do a lot more than 100M. Sony paid 100M for it.  i don't imagine it will do spectacular OS

Edited by Alli

1 minute ago, Alli said:

funny i lowered the bar with my UNDER 100M club. but in fairness, this needs to do a lot more than 100M. Sony paid 100M for it.  i don't imagine it will do spectacular OS

Pitt-DiCaprio-Tarantino are all quite strong OS, a Sam Jackson Civil war movie made 35/65 split after all. It could do "well"

Django was a 50/50 split with Weinstein so not a pure comparable and it was 88m net (with what looked like 30% of first dollar gross).

GB break:

dbo: $95MM

intl: $110MM

WW: $204.9M

Greenlight expectation:

Dbo: $125MM

intl: $125MM

WW: $250MM

14 minutes ago, Alli said:

Dicaprio has pull overseas, so it might. 

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Pitt-DiCaprio-Tarantino are all quite strong OS, a Sam Jackson Civil war movie made 35/65 split after all. It could do "well"

Django was a 50/50 split with Weinstein so not a pure comparable and it was 88m net (with what looked like 30% of first dollar gross).

GB break:

dbo: $95MM

intl: $110MM

WW: $204.9M

Greenlight expectation:

Dbo: $125MM

intl: $125MM

WW: $250MM

yeah, Hateful eight did really good OS. 

The Brand : Tarantino

The Product : Nostalgia for Bros & Cinephiles, spiced with gritty violence & the F word 

The Audience : Bros, Cinephiles, Film Twitter & Award Circuit

And there you have it, just another franchise among many others.

End of Lesson.

You can now Resume your activities.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Knock It Off 1

7 hours ago, Alli said:

“Everyone wanted to play Cliff,” says Trump, inhaling loudly again. “Everyone wanted to play Cliff. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Leo as an actor [because], he wanted to play Cliff, but he knew he was better for Rick.”