WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

Sometimes you just have an instinctual feeling that even if critics love a film it's going to leave most moviegoers feeling indifferent. I had that with Apes before it came out and felt pretty certain of it after I saw it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

And this is the worst part about the film. All the humor in War is sooooooo fucking forced. 

The comedic relief didn't worked, That is the reason I didn't gave it a perfect score. I absolutely loved eveything else (I know you didn't liked the 3rd act (before you try to discuss that, remember that spoilers even in spoiler tags for movies less than 2 weeks old equal a thread ban)).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the beast said:

What Could Apes Worldwide Opening Number Be With Say A $70.5M Opening?

I Don't Understand The Question. Do You Mean What It Would Open To WW If Its Domestic OW Was 70m?

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

Infinity War although I think will open to $200M+ will be even more frontloaded than CW. Not because the GA doesn't like but it's more like Deathly Hallows Part 2. There's so much movies and heroes the GA will be confused about and even though you may not have to watch most MCU films, the GA may be feel worn out and have a burnout. The fans and most of the GA rush out OW and then the film collapses. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The comedic relief didn't worked, That is the reason I didn't gave it a perfect score. I absolutely loved eveything else (I know you didn't liked the 3rd act (before you try to discuss that, remember that spoilers even in spoiler tags for movies less than 2 weeks old equal a thread ban)).

Oh yeah, I can't discuss my gripes with the third act without going into spoilers :lol: This was honestly really fucking close to an A for me until the third act. The third act dragged it down to a B.

Edited by WrathOfHan

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I think Fox has been marketing APES well.

I have not seen everything, but I do not know the big hook and how it is different than the previous from what I saw (to be fair like I said I did keep away from trailers since I know that I will see it one day already)

37 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

These mediocre MCU movies getting acclamation are destroying RT's credibility. Few years ago, a movie scoring 90%+ there would guarantee a break out in a big way, but it is barely helping WFTPOA. It seems that the only way to impress people these days, is if your movie gets a 99% score like Get Out. You just need to look at the legs of these movies to see that there's a real discrepancy between public and critics: CW: 2.2x (90% at RT), DS 2.7x (90%), and now this SM falling like a rock despite being the "most acclaimed SH movie of year". It doesn't matter if these movies are part of a franchise, if the public agreed with their score, they would easily have better legs.

RT's credibility is probably the highest it's ever been. Apes is hardly the first critically-acclaimed movie to disappoint at the box office

• Like 3

WW:

1 hour ago, Rth Homecoming said:

about 2m

1 hour ago, FlashMaster659 said:

near 7m weekend if that holds :shades:

So it should be at 380 M by the end of Sunday. How long are we calculating it takes to get another 20? Can it make it by the end of July? That would give it two more weekends (including possible Dunkirk boost/split figures from World War 1/World War 2 double features). Even if it needs August 1st, that would still be pretty. 400 M in just two months of release? Works for me. :D

13 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I think Fox has been marketing APES well. The trailers have been solid and I'm seeing plenty of blanket coverage for posters, billboards, and TV spots. I think what @TwoMisfits and @EmpireCity have been saying is right: this is the third entry in a relatively bleak and dour series and right now people want more light-hearted or upbeat entertainment. Nothing to be done about it, it's just bad timing that you can't really plan for. 

I'm not sure how you could make Apes upbeat or light hearted, even the 1968 original isn't exactly jolly. 

• Like 3

I think one of the Apes franchise's biggest selling points — the realistic mo-cap — just isn't much of a novelty anymore. Fans should probably be happy they got a good threequel at all, really.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

RT's credibility is probably the highest it's ever been. Apes is hardly the first critically-acclaimed movie to disappoint at the box office

Also Zootopia had a 4.5x multiple, WW is pulling off a 3.8x+ multiple, JB had low 90s on RT and had a 3.5x+ multiple, Dory also had low 90s and a 3x+ multiple, TLBM although had a disappointing OW had a 3x+ multiple, hell BD broke out so big imo due to RT.

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

War for the Planet of the Apes is the best studio blockbuster since Inception.  This is not an exaggeration on my part.  It is fantastic.

Hail Matt Reeves.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

And this is the worst part about the film. All the humor in War is sooooooo fucking forced. 

There are like 2 scenes of humor in the movie, and they're both very short.  I have no idea what you're talking about.

• Like 4