WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

1 minute ago, FlashMaster659 said:

RTH just reported 14

Thanks. I didn't believe for a second Variety was right... 114% Friday in July, and for a huge young-skewing comic book film? Not happening. Heh. Either a typo, or their source really messed up. :) 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Perhaps. 12 million acquisition. Massive marketing campaign. Very little foreign market. Let's say it finds a way to 40 million. That isn't gonna cover acquisition and  marketing costs. They thought they had another Trainwreck on their hands. I think that was mistake. But it might pay off come Oscar season.

In the past that would been really good for a 12m budget, to make 3.5 time that in domestic alone.

As a resume of example of the past of high domestic, low intl movie by design:

Prom night

43m dbo/ 13.2 foreign -> 79.5m  total revenue, 1.41 it's world box office

Strange than fiction

40.66m dbo / 13m foreign  -> 90m total revenue, 1.67 it's world box office

Death at the funeral

42.7 dbo / 6.3m foreign -> 93.744m total revenue, 1.91 it's world box office

30 Minute or less

37.7 dbo / 3.5m foreign -> 80.4m  total revenue, 1.91 it's world box office

Movie like those tended to do around 1.3 to 2 time their world box office in revenues during their lifetime, has the situation regressed to the point that it would not a really good performance to do 40m dbo for a 12m movie that used a plateforme release ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I have been busy offline the last few hours so I'm behind on the last several pages but I'm gonna guess that a "comic book movies are killing other genres" overreaction is in there somewhere.

The funniest part is the thinking that a film composed of people dressed up in monkey suits is any different to a CBM.

The last episode was dull, dreary and was built on riduclous premise.

It would have been easier to believe that the monkeys suddenly became intelligent and managed to multiply their numbers by thounads in only 10 years if magic or devine intervention was involved.

Right now there are 25 apes in San Fransico and surrounding areas.

Edited by AndyK
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndyK said:

The funniest part is the thinking that a film composed of people dressed up in monkey suits is any different to a CBM.

It would have been easier to believe if the monkeys suddenly becoming intelligent and mananging to multiply their numbers by thounads in 10 years if magic or devine intervention was involved.

You saw the first right? Because in that Caesar exposes the group to the chemical that makes them so intelligent. And it's passed down genetically, hence why the offspring are so intelligent as well. I will agree that 10 years wasn't a long enough time between though. Chimps don't even start reproducing until around 15 years old and pregnancy duration is similar to humans. 

• Like 1

Blaming comic book movies for other movies underperforming is silly. There are reasonable explanations for all of those failures and under performances.

During this summer the comic book movies just looked better than the other big films and by better I mean more interesting. Apes looked interesting but Fox was so lackluster on marketing it and thought they could get away with that. News flash, they couldn't. That's the same reason why Star Trek Beyond dropped as hard as it did.  I'm not saying it was ever going to reach the heights of the other two but I think it could have done better than what it did with an actual marketing campaign.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You saw the first right? Because in that Caesar exposes the group to the chemical that makes them so intelligent. And it's passed down genetically, hence why the offspring are so intelligent as well. I will agree that 10 years wasn't a long enough time between though. Chimps don't even start reproducing until around 15 years old and pregnancy duration is similar to humans. 

I have seen both, first was OK, second was ridiculous.

They should have set part 2 1000 years in the future.

20 minutes ago, AndyK said:

It would have been easier to believe that the monkeys suddenly became intelligent and managed to multiply their numbers by thounads in only 10 years if magic or devine intervention was involved.

Right now there are 25 apes in San Fransico and surrounding areas.

Surely other apes from nearby states would not have migrated to live with this new ape colony! Impossible, I say!

• Like 1

These mediocre MCU movies getting acclamation are destroying RT's credibility. Few years ago, a movie scoring 90%+ there would guarantee a break out in a big way, but it is barely helping WFTPOA. It seems that the only way to impress people these days, is if your movie gets a 99% score like Get Out. You just need to look at the legs of these movies to see that there's a real discrepancy between public and critics: CW: 2.2x (90% at RT), DS 2.7x (90%), and now this SM falling like a rock despite being the "most acclaimed SH movie of year". It doesn't matter if these movies are part of a franchise, if the public agreed with their score, they would easily have better legs.

• Like 11

The thing I found bafling is that the movie is called War of the Planet of the Apes and according to first reactions

Spoiler

there s barely any war or action or humans and the movie is super intimate.

:sparta:

Surely Apes can rise to 21M before dawn? I think it can, it should play better in the evenings.

But yeah, as Empire said, tomorrow will be the real test for its WOM.

Expected number for Spidey, right?

• Like 3