Hiccup23

CAYOM Magazine

1 minute ago, Spagheditary said:

@4815162342 as a thank you for the sort of rave for Spark 3...

Hide contents

@CayomMagazine

Dexter Fletcher confirmed to direct THE EPSILON SYNDICATE: UNION OF THIEVES.

The funny thing is that I actually started considering a couple other directing options :hahaha:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

KYRIE IRVING AND FRED WILLARD FILE JOINT-LAWSUIT AGAINST BLANKMENTS PRODUCTIONS AND ENDLESS ENTERTAINMENT

The lawsuit is over alleged breach of contract for the upcoming release of High School Musical 4: Reunion. Their lawyer, Michael Avenatti, had this to in a press release:

"When my clients, Mr. Irving and Mr. Willard, signed on for roles in this film, they were under the impression they were going to sing or dance in the final film. Although they were aware that the script did not feature singing or dancing for their characters, they were promised by studio heads that the end credits would feature every character singing and dancing to covers of old High School Musical songs, from now on referred to as "the dance party". They were not invited to the filming of the dance party and thus presumed the sequence was cut, allowing their contracts to be fulfilled on a contingency clause. However, when they attended a screening for the cast and crew, they discovered that the dance party is still there; they simply weren't invited to filming. Furthermore, it was discovered that Christian Bale, an actor who literally cameos without dialogue, was invited to be part of the dance party and features prominently in it. Mr. Irving and Mr. Willard assert that their contracts require participation in any dance party sequence and are demanding reshoots of the dance party to prevent the breach of contract or high financial compensation."

Neither film studio had any response at this time. This will be an interesting battle in court if reshoots are not done.

• ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, Blankments said:

KYRIE IRVING AND FRED WILLARD FILE JOINT-LAWSUIT AGAINST BLANKMENTS PRODUCTIONS AND ENDLESS ENTERTAINMENT

The lawsuit is over alleged breach of contract for the upcoming release of High School Musical 4: Reunion. Their lawyer, Michael Avenatti, had this to in a press release:

"When my clients, Mr. Irving and Mr. Willard, signed on for roles in this film, they were under the impression they were going to sing or dance in the final film. Although they were aware that the script did not feature singing or dancing for their characters, they were promised by studio heads that the end credits would feature every character singing and dancing to covers of old High School Musical songs, from now on referred to as "the dance party". They were not invited to the filming of the dance party and thus presumed the sequence was cut, allowing their contracts to be fulfilled on a contingency clause. However, when they attended a screening for the cast and crew, they discovered that the dance party is still there; they simply weren't invited to filming. Furthermore, it was discovered that Christian Bale, an actor who literally cameos without dialogue, was invited to be part of the dance party and features prominently in it. Mr. Irving and Mr. Willard assert that their contracts require participation in any dance party sequence and are demanding reshoots of the dance party to prevent the breach of contract or high financial compensation."

Neither film studio had any response at this time. This will be an interesting battle in court if reshoots are not done.

What?!

• Disbelief 1

@cayommagazine

Endless Entertainment buys new pitch from Chris McKay (director of Don’t Let The Pigeon Drive and Sir Thymes Time, as well as head of Endless Animation) for a live action/traditionally animated hybrid. Plot details are scarce but it will be inspired be based with aliens.

• Like 1

Attached to Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs. the Loch Ness Monster:

Blankments Productions logo

Hourglass Pictures logo

Timmy Templeton (Armie Hammer) sits with his parents (Jimmy Kimmel and Lisa Kudrow) taking a family photo smiling. A taxi pulls up to their house.

Narrator (Dave Bautista): The Templetons were making plans for their newest addition.

The Boss Baby (Timothee Chalamet) exits the taxi and snaps his leg. Timmy looks with binoculars.

Timmy: What the - ?

The camera zooms in on Timmy's parents holding the Boss Baby.

Timmy's Mom: Tim!

Timmy's Dad: Meet your new baby (in slow-motion): brother!

FROM VISIONARY DIRECTOR JAMES GUNN

The Boss Baby drinks from a bottle his mom is giving him. He slaps her hand.

Narrator: But this baby has other plans.

COMES THE ANIMATED CLASSIC AS YOU'VE NEVER SEEN IT BEFORE

The Boss Baby stands in front of a table of other babies. However, a boom mic gets in the shot.

James Gunn (Dave Bautista): Cut!

The Boss Baby (voice of Alec Baldwin): For real?

BillionSurpriseToys logo

James GunnWho dropped that boom mic? I swear I hope it wasn't a kid!!

The camera pans to reveal Chiya, a poorly animated CG baby.

Chiya (voice of Edward James Olmos): Sorry!

James Gunn... you are perfect.

FROM VISIONARY DIRECTOR JAMES GUNN BOBIN

An epic choral version of the Jonny Jonny song begins playing as a montage quickly plays:

- Detective Detective (Rachel House) looks at something with a magnifying glass.
- Tex Richman Jr. (Jacob Tremblay) dodges dolls Dolly is throwing at him.
- Mater takes off in a rocket.
- The ghost of Bagel moans in horror.
- Papa (David Henrie) and Grandmama (Amy Adams) make a cake.
- Evan Hansen (Patti LuPone) clutches her heart.
- Grandpa Templeton (Michael Stuhlberg) turns to dust.
- Jonny begins to chug down sugar. 
- Cereal gets crushed by a watermelon.
- Everyone dances in perfect choreography.

The title appears:

Narrator (now being read by Mahershala Ali, slowly and deliberately so all the children can understand): Jonny, Jonny! Yes Papa? Making Movie? No Papa! Telling Lies? No Papa! Buy Tickets Now! Ha! Ha! Ha!: The Movie.

OCTOBER

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BY THE BALLS - OFFICIAL SOUNDTRACK

All songs are composed by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross unless otherwise noted. The soundtrack plays like self-parody but also functions as a straightforward soundtrack, rarely trying to add humor to a situation. However, it’s a lot more playful than the typical Reznor/Ross score, although still experimental in portions. There are leitmotifs for Jordan, Thomas, Tom, the basketball team and Konstantino’s. Jordan’s gives off the air of obsessiveness whereas Thomas is eerie in the sense of Amy’s from Gone Girl. A couple of the soundtrack moments are hugely empathized, particularly during the interview with Tom and the ending of the film. Montage sequences are used too, and the final track of the score, “Smile”  (which is for the epilogue and beginning of the end credits), would be best compared to this track from Gone Girl.

Tracklist follows; minor spoilers might be in track titles:

1. Grab Back – Rihanna ft. M.I.A. (an empowering theme that begins after the score plays for the first minute of the credits, Rihanna does an R&B/pop-flavored track with M.I.A. rapping in the verses. Also released as a single.)
2. Give Me the Ball – Eminem (not original; plays over the opening credits) 
3. First Class
4. Coach
5. Practice
6. Girlfriend
7. Taco Night
8. Merry Non-Denominational Holiday
9. Twitter
10. Meeting the Dean
11. Fixing Our Stories
12. Thomas
13. An Award-Winning Monologue
14. A Whole New World – Jacob Tremblay and Levi Buksbazen
15. By the Balls
16. Hearing Tom
17. Pick-Me-Up
18. The Write Stuff
19. Locker Room Talk
20. The Star Spangled Banner – Jacob Tremblay
21. Big Game
22. Monday
23. Lunch
24. He Said She Said
25. Smile
26. Semi-Charmed Life – Bradley Cooper
(plays after “Grab Back” in the credits; performed in character as Thomas, gloatingly)

• Like 1

@cayommagazine

Michael Giacchino (Up, Zootopia, Can You Imagine?) to score The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, tentatively scheduled for December Y5

Cardi B and Post Malone to write their own respective songs for Endless Animation’s “The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl”. 

• Like 1

@CayomMagazine

Breaking: Spy Fox, the cult computer game series, is coming to the big screen in a series of animated comedies. Not much is said about the animation style or plot, but it is said to include Tom Hiddleston as the titular character. Production should get the film for Y5.

• Like 1

In the World of

SkyRiders

"The Sky and the Monsters that Inhabit It"

Spoiler

"My name is Skye."

"To them, my name is Sarah. But I know my name is Skye."

"My home is the Sky Kingdom."

"And it is my prison."

"I'm not going to lie, [Lauren] Montgomery's pitch is why this movie exists in the first place" Cookie Pictures President and CEO Sebastian Peters spoke of the Voltron: Legendary Defender helmer who was let go from writing and directing SkyRiders back in August on "admittedly, very shaky grounds" according to Peters. "I loved the setting and I loved what the story was about. I had no idea if it was going to work, but I felt like if I didn't give it a chance, no one else would."

SkyRiders was a late announcement from the studio, made well after the Power Expo last year that announced other Year 5 heavyweights like A Crackle in Time (the Donald Duck-centered Duckverse spinoff) and The Eternal Storm: The Scavenger Wars Part II (which Cayom Magazine detailed earlier this week), but has since been touted as one of its top-tier releases.

And in some ways, one can see why. Cookie Pictures Animation, the studio's animation division, has been struggling with getting projects not featuring David Tennant as a rich cartoon duck off the ground. A shame, some would say, as both The Adventures of Scrooge McDuck and The Number One Dime were massive success stories, being two out of three animated films in the past few years to become nominated for Best Picture. With massive resources and talent at their disposal, it has frustrated many within the division that original ideas like Mech Suit Heroine Rita and even films based on established properties like Animal Crossing and TaleSpin keep getting pushed back or get stuck in development limbo, which granted is hardly an uncommon occurrence across the entire company.

SkyRiders was supposed to change all that.

Or it would, had the man in charge not made a brash decision based on his apparent distaste for the latest season of Voltron: Legendary Defender, one admittedly iffy story point drawing his ire in particular, that despite some protesting within the studio he still stands by.

The controversial firing couldn't have come at a worse time for the company, and it has in some ways overshadowed the project ever since. "It made no financial or strategic sense" Cayom Magazine's trusted analyst spoke in regards to the dismissal. "It was simply the insanity of a man who thought he could get away with anything because he's had a few home runs. Even looking at what the project's become under [Peter's] supervision, I would still call him insane. This is Titanic heading straight for an iceberg and its captain refusing to even make an attempt to steer out of the way, and given what I'm hearing of what's going on behind the scenes regarding the third Voltron, the iceberg may have already hit."

"I don't want to fuel any more rumors" Peters said when asked about an article Cayom Magazine posted back in August where, a source we still deem as trustworthy, spoke at great length of the so-called "Black Friday incident". "I take full responsibility for what happened on August 10th. I am not proud nor gleeful that it happened. However, given the themes and ideas SkyRiders and to a smaller extent Voltron: Reunion represent, I did not feel like I had my full confidence in Montgomery as director. Know that Cookie Pictures has since reached out to Montgomery and offered compensation for lost work, however. And the work she's already put in has not been for naught either."

latest?cb=20180413220950

Animation director Dana Terrace, known for her work on Gravity FallsDuckTales 2017 and the forthcoming The Owl House, is replacing Montgomery.

Cookie Pictures Animation chose to press on with SkyRiders regardless, and hopes to begin the promotional blitz as soon as possible, promising an extended preview to air during the Year 4 Academy Awards ceremony. Similarly touted is a new piece of animation technology that's set to make its official debut with SkyRiders and A Crackle in Time, although it was apparently prototyped as early as with The Number One Dime, the film's one-shot tracking sequence where the Beagle Boys storm the money bin rumored to be where the technology was put to use. Cookie Pictures has promised more details to be unveiled at their next annual conference.

But none of this answers the central question: what is SkyRiders about?

"Find me, Skye."

"Beyond the clouds."

"Find me."

Those three sentences are what opens the film and are repeated almost ad nauseam as the story progresses. They are what our main character, Skye, hears when she sleeps, when she's awake, when she's doing almost anything, really.

But especially when she's near the leviathans.

Let's talk about Skye and the world she(...?) inhabits.

Our story takes place in a realm creatively called "The Sky Kingdom", a floating fortress city far up in the clouds that consists of hundreds of tiny floating islands chain linked together to keep them from drifting apart. "You would have these entire apartment blocks and buildings that sit on their own tiny islands, and the only way to get to and from them are these chain bridges that look like they could snap at any moment" a concept artist working on the film's setting explains. "Because most of the islands are really small and some buildings are so large and heavy, the largest ones are held afloat with these large propellers perpetually spinning underneath the island, and the more the Sky Kingdom grows, the more of these become needed."

"It's a land surrounded by walls of clouds on all sides, too tall to fly over and too low to fly under. There's no land below the kingdom, only more clouds, and whatever happens to descend below them never returns. None living have seen what lies beyond the clouds, or if there even is anything beyond those clouds and the kingdom is all there is to see, and most people are content with that."

"Or they would, if it weren't for the leviathans."

Leviathan-teaser.jpg

"Where the monsters came from or why they keep attacking no one seems to know. All they know is that they're dangerous and they need to be hunted down."

"On seemingly random occasion, massive flying whale monsters dubbed "leviathans" emerge from the clouds and descend upon the Sky Kingdom, these massive forces of nature that cause destruction wherever they go. Countless lives and property have been lost to these things."

"How does one combat these beasts? Simple: a steady air force of brave fighter pilots that swiftly respond to any leviathan encounter, uncover the monsters' weak spots and shoot them down. For many years it's been a steady cycle of leviathan attacks and the air squadrons, dubbed SkyRiders, engaging in combat over the sovereignty of the sky."

"But the leviathan attacks are becoming more frequent and the monsters are becoming bigger and stronger. It is starting to take its toll on an already strained population."

"Some years ago, blame for the increasing leviathan occurrences began shifting inwards. Devotees began to believe that the leviathans were punishment for the population's "sinful" ways, and a very rigid societal structure was born in response.”

"Individual choice was no longer an option. Unmarried men and women over sixteen years of age could no longer occupy the same living space. A massive wall separates these men and women until the day a man chooses his bride to be, and then the bride can come live with her spouse in a third space where their task is to breed and provide for the next generation."

"Your means of employment became limited to your gender. If you were born male, you were either a mechanic, a military officer, a construction worker or a SkyRider. If you were born female, your task was to cook, sow, provide childcare etc. This rigid structure is said to be necessary in order to ensure the stability of the kingdom. There are no women SkyRiders as a result."

"More so than the adults, this structure takes a toll on the children. 'Family values' is the name of the game here. A child is expected to be raised by a mother and father the "correct" way or not at all. Heaven help you if you were to lose one or more parents to the leviathans or another tragedy at a young age. Orphans became the bottom rung of society because if there were no parents around to raise them "correctly", what use did they have besides menial labor?"

"And what happens to the people, worst of all children, who won't or can't conform to what society deems as "normal"? It wasn't long ago that it was standard practice for those people to be swiftly "dealt with". In a way, the straining resources caused by the rising leviathan attacks may have ironically saved them."

"If Scavenger Wars was about prejudice against the outsider, SkyRiders is about prejudice against those inward who don't meet a predetermined standard" Peters added. "While it's an adventure at its heart, its world pulls no punches. It is a terrible place."

"That's where Skye comes in."

image.jpg

Most of the cast was already locked in place before Montgomery left, with Legendary Defender's Bex Taylor-Klays set to voice the lead. Klaus came out as non-binary in July 2018.

"Skye was assigned as female at birth. She and her best and only friend Kiara [Pacific RIm: Uprising's Cailee Spaeny] - a girl who lost her parents and half of her face to a fire as a child - work at a sewing factory by day and live at an orphanage by night. They have no one else but each other, especially when the other girls heckle them for in Kiara's case her face and in Skye's case because she does not see herself as a girl."

"To the world around her, Skye is a sixteen year-old girl they keep calling Sarah. To Skye, she is a sixteen-year old boy - or possibly neither - they force into being a girl."

"One day, a leviathan attacks the orphanage and causes considerable devastation. The leviathan is killed by the SkyRiders, but the response was haphazard and the Sky Kingdom made a lax effort to do much reparation to the orphanage. Skye and everyone else knew why this was: as orphans, they don't actually matter, and it had never truly bothered them until now."

"But since the attack and the delayed response almost got Skye and Kiara killed, it had shook Skye to her core. For the first time in her life, she was angry.”

"Skye's seventeenth birthday was coming up and she was set to leave the orphanage, but after the attack Skye decided things had to change. The orphans needed a symbol, someone who would stand up for them when the rest of the Sky Kingdom would not."

"It was ripe time for Skye to become who she always saw herself as, in part for herself and for wanting to stand up for what's right. With Kiara's help, Skye steals a SkyRider outfit, changes her appearance and becomes the boy he always saw himself as."

"In order to avoid being separated, Skye immediately picks Kiara as his "bride-to-be" and they're off to the races. But becoming a SkyRider is not as easy as it looks... or so one would think."

"During a second leviathan attack, Skye steals a dormant plane and takes to the skies to aid the SkyRiders in battle, discovering to his and everyone else's surprise that he's a natural born ace, and that immediately attracts the attention of the rest of the population. Quickly made a celebrity, it becomes a struggle for Skye to voice his platform while at the same time keeping his secret, well... a secret."

200px-Charlie_Plummer_profile.png220px-Josh_Keaton_2018_(cropped).jpglatest?cb=20170616181334latest?cb=20160119153647latest?cb=20170417182651

Charlie Plummer, Josh Keaton, Jeremy Shada, Jake T. Austin and Rhys Darby

Joining Taylor-Klaus and Spaeny in the main cast are fellow Voltron alumni Josh Keaton, Jeremy Shada, Jake T. Austin and Rhys Darby as, respectively, "the brave if conflicted captain of the squadron Skye familiarizes with, a pair of fraternal twin pilots who are always at odds with one another, and a bumbling drill sergeant who is always one step behind on catching on to Skye and the rest of the squadron's secrets." Charlie Plummer also joins the cast as a recent recruit to Skye's squadron with his own secrets to keep (the role originally went to Spark: Homeward's Taron Egerton, but it was decided that a younger actor was needed to portray the part).

Deborah_Ann_Woll_by_Gage_Skidmore_2.jpgMV5BMjQxOTcyNDEyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjMzliam-cunningham_sc_768x1024.pngs6j4b8.jpg

Deborah Ann Woll, Marton Csokas, Liam Cunningham and Nicole Maines

Rounding out the cast is Deborah Ann Woll as the captain's kind hearted wife, Marton Csokas as "a fleet admiral who wants nothing more than to destroy the leviathans, but also sees the rigid structure of his society as a necessary evil" and Liam Cunningham as "the chancellor, the head of the Sky Kingdom, blissful despite being aware of the injustices happening under his nose." Actress Nicole Maines has been cast in a "pivotal" role, but Peters says elaborating on her part would mean revealing huge spoilers.

Much has been written about the increasing LGBT presence in CAYOM. O$corp Pictures Poison & Wine trilogy, while critically slammed, was undeniably an early instigator and was a commercial success overall. Endless Entertainment meanwhile recently made the announcement about an LGBT-themed superhero film, Numerator Pictures made strong hints towards the main character of their Mass Effect saga being LGBT and Cookie Pictures themselves have talked up an LGBT relationship playing a prominent role in the forthcoming Voltron: Reunion, on top of having one of their lead characters in The Scavenger Wars openly flirting with another woman. "That is great and all, but I think with SkyRiders we can push the bar just a bit further" Peters says. "LGBT representation is an important issue for me and many of us at our studio, and that's why SkyRiders became important to us."

"What audience are you targeting with this?" a reporter somewhat callously asks, mentioning the fact that it is an animated feature first and foremost. "This is a PG-13 film" Peters replies. "It is not intended for small children, and it was never going to be. Its themes of identity and expression speak more clearly to a teen and young adult crowd, and we will treat the film as such." An early marketing poster Peters showed off to the attendees listed VoltronThe Scavenger Wars and The Number One Dime as reference points.

Peters also talked up the technical aspects of the film before concluding the tour. "This new technology at our disposal allows us to create visuals never before seen in a traditionally animated film. The film's opening is in itself a glorious sequence and our artists are super excited to be working on it. On top of pushing social boundaries, we are pushing our technology and artistry to their limit. Even if we fall short of our goals, it'll at least be a pretty movie."

SkyRiders is set to debut in theaters and IMAX in April of Year 5.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Spagheditary said:

SkyRiders looks pretty terrific.

I really, really hope people like it. It means a lot to me (which in part is why I got so worked up at what happened with Voltron) and I hope I can pull it off.

If anyone here’s a fan of RebelTaxi, he brought to my attention this supposed pilot that served as the initial inspiration for SkyRiders: