CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

1 minute ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

I'll take the (bold?) (stupid?) stance that I think DUNKIRK will be really frontloaded in terms of previews/weekend. 

How much so? Certainly not under 40m? I don't think it's a stupid position to take, it very well could be.

Valerian looking at 15M OW or so lmao.

I am slightly disappointed with Girls Trip number, I was expecting above Bad Moms for the previews. Should still do 25M OW.

Dunkirk looking good for 45M+.

I imagine Dunkirk would have done the same numbers had WB released in say October but I guess they didn't think Blade Runner would do well in a summer slot and I imagine Nolan can dictate which date he would prefer his film to go into.

17 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Wait...

GITS got 1.8M...

...fuck

That is based on a fairly well known property with comics, animated movies, toys and stuff. It also had an A list star.

Valerian is based on an obscure french comic book that the US audience hardly knows anything about. I think it did okay considering that. Then again maybe sci-fi nerds and Besson fans flocked to the theatre so it may still be frontloaded. The problem is that the east coast is not even remotely interested in this film. It seems to be doing better in West coast and some pockets of central USA.

Oh and this didn't have Imax. I think in August with Imax  it would easily have done 2.5+ previews and 30+ ow with that. Besson has only himself to blame for that.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Okay let's try and look at this from a best case scenario perspective.  If this follows Tarzan it gets to a respectable 25.6M.  I will now use this comp over and over since it calms me down more :) 

I'd be shocked. Thinking just over $20M OW DOM.

6 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

I'll take the (bold?) (stupid?) stance that I think DUNKIRK will be really frontloaded in terms of previews/weekend. 

I think it's going to be a little frontloaded because of Nolan's fanbase.

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Sorry, ignoring it. Just as I ignored the Zandaya factor for Spidey.

To be a little bit of a devils-advocate:

A. Styles is simply much bigger/well-known than Zendaya

B. It's affecting a much smaller OW than SMH, so the impact would be bigger if it exists.

I'm not necessarily saying that I'm convinced either.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Sorry, ignoring it. Just as I ignored the Zandaya factor for Spidey.

Zandaya and Styles aren't really comparable. I'm not even sure she has a fanbase. My gf said several months ago that she'll see the movie because of him

5 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

How much so? Certainly not under 40m? I don't think it's a stupid position to take, it very well could be.

Frontloading similar to the new Spidey would mean $41m weekend. Frontloading similar to TDKR would be $29m. Obviously that second scenario seems impossible. I would think 40ish is pretty close to a lock. 

• Like 1